PDA

View Full Version : Hard landing with my Spit.

Angler-Hi
09-23-2008, 03:00 AM
Well I was out at the lake doing a little fishing and a little flying. I put up my Yardbird F-22 first and having a good time. I decided to put up the Spit...against my better judgement:<:. I had plenty of room to take off, but not so much to land...with water on both sides of me. The margin was very small and she wanted to come in fast or not at all.

I was able to bring her in low for an early touchdown at least, but the terrain was a bit rocky, literally. She touched down and was rolling along fast, but smooth...until she hit a rock sticking up out of the ground:<:. She bounced up and came back down smacking the left wing on another rock. It broke the frame of the leading edge (only about 1-1/2" wide, and busted both wheels right off the wire landing gear. I was only able to find one tire, but the plastic wheels (hubs) were shattered and nowhere to be found. Here's a few pics. It won't take long to get her fixed up. I have extra balsa lying around, but no extra wheels.

Voyager2lcats
09-23-2008, 03:47 AM
Mike, I guess you'll be making belly landings or none at all in the near future?:( You must have landed on the Martian surface; those wheels are toast! They remind me of broken prop blades. Yikes!:eek: Nice looking plane though.:cool:

Angler-Hi
09-23-2008, 04:06 AM
Mike, I guess you'll be making belly landings or none at all in the near future?:( You must have landed on the Martian surface; those wheels are toast! They remind me of broken prop blades. Yikes!:eek: Nice looking plane though.:cool:

Yeah, I can't believe they busted up like that. I'll be ordering new wheels for it though, if I can't find any at the LHS.

groundrushesup
09-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I can't believe they busted up like that. I'll be ordering new wheels for it though, if I can't find any at the LHS.

Good that you got it stopped with so little damage overall, man--'rolling' on two wires like that... I'da figured out a way to destroy the plane.

After my most recent 'issue' with my PZ Spit, I really feel like I need someone walking around with me to smack me in the head like those V8 commercials, just before I put a plane up in 'less than ideal' conditions.

I dunno. I guess I am fundamentally an optimist, so I figure "hey, what could go wrong?" Hopefully sooner or later I'll have a big enough "disaster file" so that when I ask myself such a silly question, my brain chimes in with "Take your pick of these cringeworthy memories, Kapt. Krashalot" lol

"But... but... just one more pack! The sun isn't COMPLETELY down yet!"

GRU

Angler-Hi
09-23-2008, 01:47 PM
LOL:D...Yeah, I was really hesitant. I have no idea what the hell I was thinking. Even my wife had that, "you don't want to do this" look on her face.

CHELLIE
09-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Sorry to hear about you hard landing Mike, yes I have learned to listen to that better judgement voice in my head, after a few crashes too :) get her fixed up and flying again soon :) Chellie

Angler-Hi
09-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks Chellie. It was wierd too...it was only about 5-7mph winds and she seemed a little twitchy and unstable in the air. It was almost like something was messing with the signal of my Tx/Rx, especailly when flying her over the water. I wasn't comfortable and decided to bring her down about as quick as I put her up. I probably would have been able to get a smoother landing if I would have utilized the darn rudder.

max2112
09-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Crud! Sorry to hear that Mike.
Have you made any progress on the repairs?

Angler-Hi
09-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Crud! Sorry to hear that Mike.
Have you made any progress on the repairs?

Yeah I made progress....I progressed to make it look like dookie.

FlyingMonkey
09-28-2008, 02:42 AM
ok, I'll take it.

I'll PM you my address :D

GreenAce92
09-28-2008, 02:55 AM
Yo mike, what happend to your little dirt strip? the place you always take off from with the bipe and spit?

sorry to see the crash man, yikes.... that rock just came outa nowhere huH?
hope ya get her fixed up.

Angler-Hi
09-28-2008, 02:58 AM
ok, I'll take it.

I'll PM you my address :D

Don't tempt me:p>...can I get some balsa with my tape?:D

FlyingMonkey
09-28-2008, 03:00 AM
Don't tempt me:p>...can I get some balsa with my tape?:D

balsa and duct tape?

Angler-Hi
09-28-2008, 03:05 AM
balsa and duct tape?

Put it this way, it's got enough packing tape on it, USPS will ship it as is.

stevecooper
09-28-2008, 03:08 AM
Yeah I made progress....I progressed to make it look like dookie.
Little cover'in ,,,heck cover the whole thing the you beef her up while gett'in a long hard look under her skirt!! Do her up in a differant color so she don't look like the other100,000 spits fly'in around (Chellie pink come to mind) easy fix, remember, she ain't"done for" till monkey flys her!:blah:!:Dyour bub,steve

FlyingMonkey
09-28-2008, 03:11 AM
watch it bub, I have nearly a week off in a couple days, and I know where you live...

stevecooper
09-28-2008, 03:30 AM
watch it bub, I have nearly a week off in a couple days, and I know where you live...
monkeyBub:Don't make me si'c Von HoppyBub on ya!!! bub, steve

Angler-Hi
09-28-2008, 03:34 AM
Little cover'in ,,,heck cover the whole thing the you beef her up while gett'in a long hard look under her skirt!! Do her up in a differant color so she don't look like the other100,000 spits fly'in around (Chellie pink come to mind) easy fix, remember, she ain't"done for" till monkey flys her!:blah:!:Dyour bub,steve

LMAO:Q:Q! AH, poor Fred:p>.

I was actually thinking about recovering the whole thing too Steve. I've just never covered anything before and I'm a little nervous.

stevecooper
09-28-2008, 03:49 AM
It's a piece-o-cake my bub!, steve

max2112
09-28-2008, 05:02 AM
Mike,
Maybe we can hook up soon and I can share what little knowledge I have on balsa repair. I have had to do one minor repair job that turned out airworthy.

It's hard to tell from your pictures, are there any ribs broken?

Definitely don't junk it or give it away!!

FlyingMonkey
09-28-2008, 09:10 AM

don't listen to him, the man is obviously delirious or insane, give it to me :silly: :D

FlyingMonkey
09-28-2008, 09:11 AM
monkeyBub:Don't make me si'c Von HoppyBub on ya!!! bub, steve

I'm not skurd!

pskumarweb
09-28-2008, 09:16 AM
can someone help me on 3D model conversion
Hi,
Im making my first RC Plane. I do not know how can i convert my Exceed-RC 6CH Transmitter for 3D model conversion. I didnt receive any manual when i purchased the radio. Can anyone please help me on this?

Thanks

stevecooper
09-28-2008, 03:08 PM
can someone help me on 3D model conversion
Hi,
Im making my first RC Plane. I do not know how can i convert my Exceed-RC 6CH Transmitter for 3D model conversion. I didnt receive any manual when i purchased the radio. Can anyone please help me on this?

Thanks
pskumarweb::Welcome to wattflyer my bub! Thats a heli trans, I've heard for guys do'in this,;-) Let me do a search and I'll get back to ya today,:D your bub, steve

pskumarweb
09-28-2008, 03:13 PM
thanks dude.

Angler-Hi
09-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Mike,
Maybe we can hook up soon and I can share what little knowledge I have on balsa repair. I have had to do one minor repair job that turned out airworthy.

It's hard to tell from your pictures, are there any ribs broken?

I'm not getting rid of it friend. There was a rib broken but the balsa has already been repaired. I even used some extra balsa I had lying around. Getting together would be nice, I don't know a whole lot about covering a plane.

stevecooper
09-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Mike::"I don't know a whole lot about covering a plane."Most bub's I've known first cover'in jobs looked great, read or surf up on it a 1/2 hour and start! I wasn't kidd'in about how easy it is, don't forget some pixs!! bub, steve

Angler-Hi
09-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Will do Steve. Thanks friend.

stevecooper
09-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Mike:::If you've got any ??? PM me and I'll help you out, your bub, steve

Angler-Hi
09-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks Steve. It will be a while before I get to it though.

Capt Easy
09-29-2008, 04:51 AM
Mike- Sorry about the recent mishap. I wish I were closer to you I'd be happy to help you get it repaired. It seems I've had more experience in that area than I care to mention. I crashed the Gee Bee again a couple days ago just after moding that main gear. I lost orientation on it both times and just messed up. After all that extensive recontruction surgery from the first wreck I was pretty dejected. The fuse was trashed forward of the wing root this time. I had to completely replace it with one from another HL kit I bought a back up a couple months ago. But shes's back in the air and I've put a couple hours or so on it the last two days.
Anyway you'll figure it out. I'll be happy to help if I can.
Best,
Dick

Angler-Hi
09-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Sorry to hear that Dick. Why don't you just build the other kit as a whole instead of using parts from a new kit? I mean if you're gonna buy a whole new kit, you might as well build it and have a good looking ship, rather than use new parts from it to rebuild the crashed one. Of course you could always rebuild the crashed one anyways...granted it won't look like a new bird, but hey.

I hope you get her back in the air soon. I don't know friend, you handled that Gee Bee like a pro when you were here. I thought you did a hell of a job flying her...AND landing her.

Capt Easy
09-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the compliments Mike. I figured out my problem has to be loss of orientation. Every time I've been out it's been a problem.
The ship has been back in the air again and flying real well so far but the orientation isssue keeps me on edge.

I dicided to use the original wings because they still look pretty good. I've left the new wheel pants off yet even tho the landings have been pretty good. I just don't want to mess them up just in case. I can't emphasize enough how much of an imnprovement the GM gear is. YOu relly need get some. I put the GM tail wheel on the new fuse but have mixed feeelings. It looks great, seems to function okay but is very small.

Mike - if you need another canopy for your GB I have a spare. PM your mailing address.

Dick

Angler-Hi
09-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks Dick. I still have the canopy for the Gee Bee, I just never put it on. I like the way she looks without it. I definbitely plan on getting that GM landing gear!

pablo27
10-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey Mike, I just caught up on the news of your Spit incident. From another Spit owner I hope that you get it all sorted soon mate, it doesn't look too bad considering.

I cringe every time I belly mine into the grass, so far apart from one gentle cartwheel, all's been well. Good luck with your repair mate.

Angler-Hi
10-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks Pablo. Shw wasn't flying well to begin with. I don't know if it was some kind of signal interference or what!? She was also wobbling quite a bit in the air in minimal winds, I'd say from 2-5mph. Something just felt wrong...other than flying her with such a small margin to land in.

pablo27
10-02-2008, 10:45 PM
That's strange mate cause they are usually really solid unless the winds pick right up. I've posted the vid of us flying on Monday on the other thread, you can see in that how my Spit was affected at low speeds by the wind, it was pretty tricky landing her.

Angler-Hi
10-02-2008, 10:52 PM
That's strange mate cause they are usually really solid unless the winds pick right up. I've posted the vid of us flying on Monday on the other thread, you can see in that how my Spit was affected at low speeds by the wind, it was pretty tricky landing her.

Well Ihave no idea on what the winds were doing at that altitude. There's a huge cliff behind us, so when the wind is blowing, we don't really feel it at ground level, but it definitely blows good when you reach the same altitude as the cliff top. I was also flying over a huge body of water.

I saw your video and she looked pretty steady. Maybe the wind wasn't so gentle up there. Good landing BTW...she almost appeared to whip lash on you.

pablo27
10-02-2008, 10:58 PM
I found that it is important to keep the speed up on landing into a wind like that, it almost caught me out, I even nearly hit David's partner standing there :eek:.

I've flown for over a year down my spot and it's surprising just how much the winds vary from week to week. It could have been something weird with the winds on that day that caught out your Spit.

I wouldn't know how to re-cover mine if it were damaged, you will have to pass on your methods when you repair that wing mate ;-).

Angler-Hi
10-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Well this will be my first covering job mate. So wish me luck. I'll take pics as she comes along.

gfdengine204
10-03-2008, 04:01 AM
Well this will be my first covering job mate. So wish me luck. I'll take pics as she comes along.

Just take your time, and don't feel bad if you have to take the cover up and redo it. It definitely takes practice.

Angler-Hi
10-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Just take your time, and don't feel bad if you have to take the cover up and redo it. It definitely takes practice.

Thanks Kev, I plan to take it VERY slow.