PDA

View Full Version : Painting Blue Foam

IFLYRC5
01-23-2006, 04:23 AM
Is there a way to Paint Blue Foam? I want to be able to easily see the top from bottom. :confused:

zappedalaskan
01-23-2006, 04:39 AM
I don't have a lot of experience with foam planes, but I have made a few airboats, and have a couple of balsa planes with foam wings. As far as paint goes, I couldn't suggest a right one. I have had great luck applying Monocote (brand) "Econocote" to blue foam The econocote is made for way lower temps and goes on blue foam nicely, it also strengthens it a bit as well.. I hope this helps..
Jay

jonnyjetprop
01-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I've used the cheap spray can paint from the hardware store, BUT I use very light coats almost misted on. It will take several coats. Its the propellant that tends to eat the foam. Test it out on scraps first.

John

Warden
01-23-2006, 04:22 PM
I picked this up from another thread on this board, tried it and it works....Get some arcylic water based paint at a craft store. All kind of colors and it works great on foam. Also from this board was the suggestion to use cans of the water based spray paint "H20". I got a couple of cans of the stuff but I haven't tried it yet.

jamessimon
01-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Testors paints are foam safe. So is Minwax Polycrylic clear coat. Any acrylic paint will work. There are spray cans and bottles of all of these at Walmart. Some with the models and some in the paints.

Sharpies are good for markings. Paint markers are good too for small areas but you have to test the brand that you are using.

A good rule - if I haven't used it on foam, I try it on a bit of scrap first. Saves nasty side of learning by experience.

BlueCor isn't really flat or smooth so putting a high gloss in it is a mistake unless you take the time, and add the weight, to carefully fill and sand the surfaces.

cyclops2
01-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Water based paints and even some water clean up enamels work fine. Use a ultra-lite spackle frome the H D for filling the dings. Let it DRY for at least 2 FULL days, then final sand and paint and clear coat.

Glow fuels may ruin paint that has NOT dried for a week--NO ODOR AT ALL.

Vyceroy
01-29-2006, 05:24 AM
you can use testors spray model paint .. heres a pic of my latest plane built from bluecor and painted with Testors

leuchtma
01-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Vyceroy, very nice!!!

Any tips on forming the wings or pontoons. New to bluecor and would like any pointers that you may have. I have just been making flatout style planes and would like to begin do more built up type aircraft.

Bob

Vyceroy
01-31-2006, 03:42 PM
i will send you a Message .. i dont want to tie up the thread..

cyclops2
02-08-2006, 01:54 AM
After 2 weeks of drying, I can pour 30 % nitro on the clear polyurethane and unless I scrub the heck out of it , nothing happens.

Good enough for me.--------Normal exhaust mess has little of the original nitro left.

A spill during refilling is the problem.

lomcevak
02-09-2006, 10:08 PM
do what the zagi guys do... colored packing tape.

the next best thing, if you are really dead set on painting, is acrylic or latex. you can use an airbrush to apply it. but if you dont own or want to by an airbrush (they are cheap if you shop around) go to a paint store. they sell a cool little spray bottle that includes a can of propellant. the brand name is PRE-VAL . they are only about 6 bucks!! you thin down whatever paint you want(if its foam safe anyway) and jsut put it in the jar and screw it to the botom of the propellant can . make sure you get the viscosity right and spray away. paint is heavy though use just enough to add a little color

thomdoe
02-10-2006, 12:34 AM
There is a paint brand name ( Design Master ) at Michael's Art Supplies. CHEEP LOTS of COLORS WORKS on FOAM.

re3626
02-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Best thing I've been told is to paint it with clear water based poly-U first as a sealer then any water based paint for color coat , acrylics being the best , buy tubes from the art or arts & craft stores and mix your own if your brave enough , several thined layers are the best , or good old spray cans if your not that brave . Latex will work but thin it out alot , straight will be to thick , heavy & ugly . Some enamels will work but test them first

wrenflyer82
02-16-2006, 11:31 PM
I have built numerous blu-cor FFF foamies and painted them all with KRYLON SHORT-KUTS....This paint goes on smooth and has a decent shine, I have run the paint on the first coat before to see if it would hurt the foam and it won't.... I get the paint at Hobby-Lobby the arts and crafts store.... it comes in many colors, in 3oz. spray cans, and costs about 2.65 a can.... I would recommend this paint to anyone who wants a easy and safe to use paint for their foamies.....!

Jester
02-19-2006, 07:53 AM
I think an epoxy spray paint would work. Try it on a scrap first. I'll have to go out to the garage and check it out for myself sometime.

Wingman65
02-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Testors Enamel works good, a lot of colors to choose from.

starcad
02-27-2006, 05:39 AM
I like the 99 cent paint you get at the craft store. Just wish I could remember where I put my airbrush. Another thing I found out about blue foam is WBPU from the craft store and lite spackle sure takes out the dings and scratches.

qban_flyer
02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Spray can wise, Krylon ShortCuts and Fusion did a superb job on my BLU-F-O just as on other models. Several light coats made identifying top from bottom easy. :)

Joe 1320
02-27-2006, 07:40 PM
On electric where fuel isn't an issue, I use water based acrylic and an airbrush. This way I can use several thin coats for an ultra smooth appearance. (Wal-mart crafts section)

jamuhlhahn
02-28-2006, 02:57 AM
After 2 weeks of drying, I can pour 30 % nitro on the clear polyurethane and unless I scrub the heck out of it , nothing happens.

Good enough for me.--------Normal exhaust mess has little of the original nitro left.

A spill during refilling is the problem.
Electrons don't eat foam!!

qban_flyer
02-28-2006, 03:08 AM
Electrons don't eat foam!!

Correct! :)

They don't eat paint either! :p

And they don't stink up the plane, car and garage or basement! :D

cyclops2
02-28-2006, 03:23 AM
I use only Glow Fuel proof paints as it saves repainting when I convert either way or just plain forget the power type.

Joe 1320
02-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Correct! :)

They don't eat paint either! :p

And they don't stink up the plane, car and garage or basement! :D

Or irritate the neighbors with noise when you simply have to fly it around the yard.

Foamtoyz
02-28-2006, 03:59 AM
Painted this with H20 Paint by krylon it is all blue core.. found at K-mart Does make it slightly more brittle if you put it on too heavyhttp://www.ncweb.com/biz/dan/bat.jpg

Robert Murray
03-20-2006, 09:08 PM
I did a beautiful job painting my blue foam plane with a water based paint. I was very proud of the paint job. I then put the plane together. My problem was painting before I applied the packing tape for the control surfaces. The tape would not stick to the painted foam. I tried to remove the paint from the areas where the tape went/ Took some doing with a fingernail brush and water over the sink, but I did remove the paint. Trouble is, it loosened the film on the foam. I ended up scraping the plane. Always tape the control surfaces first. The paint will stick to the tape.

qban_flyer
03-20-2006, 09:16 PM
You know it! :D
Or irritate the neighbors with noise when you simply have to fly it around the yard.

qban_flyer
03-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Too bad not one of us mentioned that fact on this or other threads regarding foam painting. On post 18, on the first photo you can see the surfaces were attached before paint was applied to the model. I wish I had mentioned that fact. :o

I did a beautiful job painting my blue foam plane with a water based paint. I was very proud of the paint job. I then put the plane together. My problem was painting before I applied the packing tape for the control surfaces. The tape would not stick to the painted foam. I tried to remove the paint from the areas where the tape went/ Took some doing with a fingernail brush and water over the sink, but I did remove the paint. Trouble is, it loosened the film on the foam. I ended up scraping the plane. Always tape the control surfaces first. The paint will stick to the tape.

brokenlaser
03-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Krylon H2o works great, but if your really board, bust out the sharpie markers and have fun.... The dragon still isn't done, lol over a year old.

lounurse
04-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I like to use the cheap wally world craft acrylic paint...good color options. I use an airbrush to shoot it but you have to thin it down about 50%. Use the blue windshield solution to thin....helps with dry time. After i have the color on,and it has dried a couple days, brush on light coat of water base polyurathane. The WBPU seals and gives a nice shine. The WBPU comes in gloss and satin sheens.:D