PDA

View Full Version : Floppy disc hinges

scalercflyer
10-04-2008, 10:50 PM
After reading a remark in of the threads about floppy disc material being used for hinges, I decided to give it a try. I must say that I am very impressed with the resulting hinges. They have absolutely no resistance, align easily and are super simple to install. First I break the outer portion of the disc apart. Next remove the round metal center of the disc. Then I cut the disc into strips. Take the part (example a stab), find the center and slit with a thin razor blade. Insert the disc hinge into the slot and secure with CA. Then I mount the other piece (example elevator) using the same procedure, then flex to obtain the clearance and CA in place. For added security you can pin with a toothpick, pin, etc. I tried this method with a piece of 3mm foam and then purposely tried to pull the hinge loose. I destroyed the foam completely and did not pull the hinge out. I also tried to tear the hinge apart by hand. No way! Give this a try. I'm sure you'll like the results. From now on I'm using this method for all my hinges. Martin

TDisaster
10-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Sounds like a great idea, I'll have to try it.

I swear I know you. The name rings a bell and you live kinda close. Were you at WRAM? NEAT?
Mike

barmonkey
10-04-2008, 11:57 PM
What is a floppy disc? :D

I haven't used those in years...can I make hinges out of my thumb drive? :D:D

Actually, I have used floppy disc material on a couple of planes. They have worked wonderfully. They don't want to split like some CA hinge material during installation. I have only used them on foam planes so far. I wonder how well they would work with Balsa?

I used thick CA when I did mine because it seems to take longer to set, and the hinge is thinner than the blade I used to cut the slot. I CA'd the hinges to the wing first, and after the glue dried, glued the control surface to the hinges. I figured this would lessen any chance of gluing the Aileron/Rudder/Elevator to the wing/Stab.

I have heard some people like to scratch the dark covering off, but I did not do this. I scratched the surface a bit, and poked a couple of holes in the part that inserts into the foam.

degreen60
10-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I have only used them on foam planes so far. I wonder how well they would work with Balsa?

I used thick CA when I did mine because it seems to take longer to set, and the hinge is thinner than the blade I used to cut the slot. I CA'd the hinges to the wing first, and after the glue dried, glued the control surface to the hinges. I figured this would lessen any chance of gluing the Aileron/Rudder/Elevator to the wing/Stab.

I have heard some people like to scratch the dark covering off, but I did not do this. I scratched the surface a bit, and poked a couple of holes in the part that inserts into the foam.

I use them on my GP SE5A and my Peter Rake Morane Saulnier L which are balsa planes. The MS-L has them just glued to flat balsa strips no slot. I also use them on my foam planes. I always glue them using Loctite No Mess Adhesive.

kolchac
10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
As I was growing up, my father would say "don't throw anything away, you might need it for something!"

I have a ton of 5 1/4" disks from the '80s.::o:Q

I have been using then for a couple years now for hinges and never had one break. Had them pull out a bunch of foam in a nasty wreck once.

They work great!!
Enjoy
Pat

gfdengine204
10-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Anyone ever use them on flat profile foamies?

pburt1975
10-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I want to try them, but have not had much luck inserting the disk material in the center of the foam on both pieces equally. Can these hinges be used on top of the foam instead of inside of it? I've got some uses for them then..

scalercflyer
10-08-2008, 10:04 AM
I am using them on my PICO tiger moth (foamie) and they work great. BTW Boys, I'm going to finish her just like the Tiger Moths used in the movie THE BLUE MAX. If you get a chance, check out the scene when the German planes are coming back from patrol. The camo used on the planes in the movie is a gray/black and white camo. Anybody have any luck using printed camo sheets and applying them with watered down white glue? Or perhaps some ideas for applying camo would help me. Pics to come. Martin

7car7
10-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Do you find that the floppy hinges are any more flexible than the normal CA hinge? The CA hinge just seems too stiff sometimes.

kolchac
10-08-2008, 08:28 PM
pbert1975 - I don't see why not. Give it a try. I use my hing sloter and xacto knife to make the slots in the foam.

7car7 - the floppy hinges are very flexible. They don't tear or stretch.

gfdengine204
10-08-2008, 10:09 PM
kolchac,

Slot the foam first, or bevel the surface first?

What hinge slotter are you using?

kolchac
10-08-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm not sure of the name of the hinge slotter. I've had it for years. Old one of my dads.

For example.. on a GWS Slow Stick elevator/stabilizer, flat foam. I would find the center of the edge if the foam where stabilizer and elevator are going to be hinged. Draw a line all the way across. Using a sanding block I would bevel both sides of the elevator not the stabilizer. kind of looks like this (stabilizer ]< elevator)
I would cut the disk guts about 1/2inch wide x 1 - 1 1/2inch long. Mark where I want to place the hinges, cut the slots in the center of the edge of the foam free hand or using hinge slotter and knife.
Dry fit hinges into elevator and dry fit elevator to stabilizer. If it looks good enough, rough up hinges with sanding block, glue hinges into elevator. Let glue dry.
Dry fit elevator again into stabilizer. If everything looks good, glue hinges into stabilizer. Let glue dry.

Guess a person could just bevel one edge and place the hinges on top.
ie. (elevator 7[ stabilizer)
Never tried it that way but I guess it'll work.

I'll find or take some pics and post later tonite.

enjoy

gfdengine204
10-09-2008, 12:10 AM
OK cool, thanks. :)

kolchac
10-09-2008, 04:28 AM
Here is a few pics of a stabilizer of a Slow Stick I did 5 days ago.
hope I did pics right

degreen60
10-09-2008, 11:42 AM
I have a balsa plane that the ailerons fit like an inverted V. I took pieces of diskette and folded into an inverted V and just glued it into the open slot flat against the balsa with the aileron pushed against the wing.

gfdengine204
10-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks kolchac; those look like they would work very well.

Did you use CA, epoxy, or some other adhesive to glue them in?

kolchac
10-09-2008, 04:55 PM
I just used the GWS glue. I have lots of it. Seems to work pretty good.

gfdengine204
10-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Cool, thanks for the info.

scalercflyer
10-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Guys after a little experimenting, I came up with this idea for the slotting tool. Take a single edge razor blade and CAREFULLY break a piece off approximately 1/2" wide (I find using 2 pairs of pliers the best way). Be sure to use safety glasses while you break the blade! Then take your Xacto #11 blade holder and insert the blade you just made. Now you have a very thin blade for making the slot for the hinge. Martin

kolchac
10-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Cool. Just might give it a try

stevecooper
10-27-2008, 06:46 PM
I use um on ALL my planes!!There Great!!!! bub, steve