PDA

View Full Version : E-Starter Treed

dave650
10-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Anyone have any good ideas of how to get a plane out of a tree - a really tall tree??? I was flying on a perfect Sunday evening in a local ball park and I thought I was clear.... Its kinda hard to just walk away, especially as you hear the esc forlornly beeping at you as you walk away with only your transmitter in hand. :sad:

firemanbill
10-06-2008, 02:38 AM
That is a horrible feeling...:( Been there and done that myself. I put an Ultrafly Ultimate in the top of an 80' tall tree.

I have a buddy that climbs trees and cuts them down for a living. He put on his climbing gear and went up it for me. Couldn't quite get to it but got close enough to be able to shake it loose and get it to drop lower.

How high do you suppose it is? One method that might work for you is to buy several lengths of PVC pipe and put them together with couplers. Poke at it with them to dislodge it. If it is too high for that maybe some fishing line tied to a weight of some kind and either throw it up there or shoot it up with a slingshot of some kind and hope to wrap it and pull it down that way.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

dave650
10-06-2008, 03:59 AM
I don't know that its 80 feet but its definitely past the poking at it from the ground. I couldn't hit it with a golf ball. I came up with the idea of one of those water balloon launchers but of course given the time of year that is no one has those on the shelves.

I need one of those tree climber friends!!

firemanbill
10-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Check with a tree cutting service and see if you can get one of the guys to do it after hours and pay him a few bucks to do it.

20 or 30 bucks for 10 minutes work would do it for most! Worht a shot anyway.

dave650
10-19-2008, 04:57 AM
So after several tries, lost arrows, and string burns on my fingers the plane is down. However its not from my effort -the wind brought it down today. At least its down.

I had finally came up with the idea of taping a string to an arrow and trying to shoot it over the branch and shaking it down. That would have been fine but I am not a bow hunter and don't have very good aim. I came close a couple times but spent more time trying to get the arrow back down after missed attempts.

The plane is trashed, now i have to see what i can still use. It rained several times so i'm assuming the motor is shot from getting wet. My main question now is the battery. It is completely dead. Can a lipoly be revived from the this state?

firemanbill
10-19-2008, 05:07 AM
well at least it's down.:(

The lipo is shot. Sorry to say that but it is. The motor could be ok, depends on how wet it got. The rest of the stuff should be ok though.

Chronoholic
11-21-2008, 11:40 AM
i use a 3 meter long fishing rod attached to two 1.5meter long broomsticks.

that makes a 4 meter long stick, which can be extenden to 6 meters:)

it is very helpfull lol

dave650
11-22-2008, 12:14 AM
My plane was way way higher than that though. I thought about doing something like that but maybe with pvc pipe -but that would have even been impossible at the height it was at. The pvc pipe idea then got me thinking about a potato gun. I think thats what i needed!! :D I should have went and made one. Would have been a lot of fun even if it wouldn't have gotten it down.