PDA

View Full Version : slo-V or Slow Stick....weigh in...

Starmoon
01-23-2006, 05:37 PM
I need opinions....I want a cheap way into the air and it needs to be duarble. The transfer of electronics to another plane isn't important, but cost and FUN are.

I'd appreciate and suggestions.

PS I decided to NOT go with the pico, too flimsy...

flyranger
01-23-2006, 05:59 PM
You don't get much more durable or inexpensive than a slow stick!! Pictured is a inrunner/gearbox combo and a modified aileron wing!!:p

frvrngn
01-23-2006, 06:07 PM
I started with the Slo-V. That being said, if I was doing it all over again I would get the Multiplex EasyStar. The Slo-V and Slow Stick are not terribly durable for a beginner. They will both bend prop shafts. They will both either bend or break their fuselages and/or wing struts on that little nose in that just bent your prop shaft. They both wont handle wind well, and being new you are going to go fly in wind no matter how much you know you shouldnt!

Easystar is very durable foam with a pusher prop. Will handle a little wind. Flies very well and predictably. Is easily fixed with glue/tape/epoxy vs. going to your LHS to get parts. Antother pusher prop option would be something like the T-Hawk. Great reviews on that as well.

I own both the Slo-V and Slow Stick and they are both great flyers. They both fly nice and slow if needed and can be flown just about anywhere when the conditions are right. Key there is conditions. My opinion is unless you live in area with dead winds all the time and someplace soft to land (buy a prop saver to try and save your prop and shaft) that they could be too twitchy and fragile to start.

Sky Sharkster
01-23-2006, 08:40 PM
To Starmoon, another good trainer is the E-Starter from GWS. This is a high-wing trainer with a full fuselage. It comes with motor and gearbox for about $ 45.00. The model can be built for rudder/elevator/throttle control, and ailerons added later, or, if you want, built as a 4 channel right from the start. It is reasonably sturdy, can be flown in light winds and is easily upgraded with any of the "stick" mount 400-size Brushless motors later. Whatever you choose, I suggest you look up your local flying club and ask about training programs. Also the FMS flight simulator is a help.
Good Luck!
Ron

Twmaster
01-24-2006, 04:16 AM
My vote is for the slow stick given those two choices. Cheap to buy, cheap to fix.

However if I were going to learn all over again I too would suggest the Easy Star.

Unbalanced prop
01-25-2006, 07:13 PM
I vote for the SS. I just think it flys better then the Slow-v.

Doug

rcboatnut
01-26-2006, 08:32 PM
If I am not mistaken the the Slow-v is a V tail, and from my experience with people who buy the all in one aerbird things they are V tail as well and they don't have good control authority, because you only have 2/3's of what the conventional tail has, full elevator and rudder = better control in my opinion and experience. with all that being said I have a slow stick, they are very versital and with some minor mods they are durable and a good flyer that can be used for many things now and in the future.

john8750
01-28-2006, 10:07 AM
You can have my wife, car, kids, all my money, but dont mess around with my slow stick.

John Smith

azkeith
01-29-2006, 06:45 AM
SLOW STICK !!! So much fun fun fun.. I have 3.

Starmoon
01-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Its decided. Getting a superstar EP. w/Airelons.

The "All in one" kit.

Opinions?

jb48
01-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi Starmoon,
I have a Slo-V and a Superstar with ailerons. My own experience with both is that the Slo-V has a very weak fuselage and cannot be flown by a beginner in almost any wind condition. But it is an easy to repair and simple aircraft. The possibility to move the wing back and forth is a great asset to adjust CG, which the Slo-V like to be a little (a little no more) nose heavy. Pitch is quite sensitive on high rate mode but rudder can be deceptive. All in all, if I had to start again, I would choose the Slow Stick without question. But I wouln`t change it for my Superstar with ailerons: a gentle and sturdy airplane (let`s say for an intermediar beginner), actually easier to fly than my Slo-V, with much more control but must faster, limiting the SSEP to rc field or maybe big big deserted park. The ailerons are so sweet that I use rudder only when taking-off. If you have no experience at all, ask an instructor to help you for an hour or two before attempting to fly the SSEP all by yourself. Slow stick would be easier if learning by yourself but even then be prepared to buy and fix some parts. Once you get some experience, the SSEP will grow on you, maybe just like it does on me. I love my SSEP, period.

Starmoon
01-31-2006, 09:49 PM
it says beginner.......-sigh-... chosing a first bird is TOUGH work!

Starmoon
01-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Any suggestion for a battery for a Slow Stick? (Nimh)? I was thimking using the stock motor a 1110, 7C pack...

MountainFlyer
02-01-2006, 12:37 AM
no one mentioned the Magpie from Mountain Models .. im shocked!!
A great beginner plane! btw ..its tough, good price ..can be bought with both the slow flyer and aileron wing.. flys great on the stock motor.. easy to assemble what more could a beginner want? ( and yes its a kit not an ARF or RTF but its no harder than the GWS E-Starter to assemble..)

http://www.mountainmodels.com