PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Glitche

wantok
01-24-2006, 08:17 AM
There I was hovering nice and peacefully, when along came Mr Glitch and spoiled all my fun. :mad:

www.putfile.com/wantok (http://www.putfile.com/wantok)

zappedalaskan
01-24-2006, 08:49 AM
That really sucks wantok.. It looked like you had a great hover going and it just did a face plant..how bad did it hurt your Trex?? Best of luck on future flights :)
Jay

wantok
01-24-2006, 10:13 AM
I had only just built it and was doing the third flight trying to get it trimmed,(the breeze wasnt helping) and it just took off . I had an align Rx in it so i swapped that for a JR r610. Had my doughts about the Align Rx, it lust looked cheap and nasty. Surprisingly it did very little damage. All I can see is the main drive wheel was striped. Havent spun it up again yet so will have to wait and see if there are any nasty vibrations. This is the first CCPM setup i have done so still on the big learning curve. Not a good start to make your first post in the Crash section LOL.

zappedalaskan
01-24-2006, 02:23 PM
wantok,
You said the main gear was stripped? could your pinion mesh have been off a bit? This will cause it to strip almost immediately. When you repalce it be sure your gear mesh is set just right. This is kinda hard on the Trex, I had to fiddle with mine for a while to get a good mesh. In the video it didn't sound like it was the gear stripping that made it crash though, unless it just caught and inertia threw it nose first into the ground.. At any rate Welacome to Wattflyer, we are happy to have you here. Get your heli fixed and come visit us in the heli forum :)
Cheers,
Jay

wantok
01-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Yea I think it stripped when it hit the ground and the blades stopped and the motor didnt. It was only in one spot the teeth were missing.

Gullwing
01-25-2006, 03:24 AM
Man that sucks. I had to make repairs on mine before I ever got it in the air(a little in shop radio glitch before all the setup was made) We don't talk about it at my house. LOL Lets just say it cleaned off the work table real fast.......Good luck on the repairs. Good hover..............GW

zappedalaskan
01-25-2006, 05:15 AM
wantok-
I see, I thought you meant the whole gear was stripped. I hope the new RX works out better for you.
GW-
Them muffler bearings are kinda tricky. It is much easier though if you use a left handed Cresent wrench on them, which is also useful when replacing piston return springs..:) One day we had this new guy, that was right out of college and he was going to show us how it was done. Right after lunch, we needed a bunch of parts from the main shop and some stuff from the parts dealer. We sent the new guy and told him it was very important that we needed a set of spark plugs for a 3406 Cat engine. lol he called from the shop and said I can't find them anywhere, I can't even find a part number in the manual. I told him, thats ok John at industrial parts will have a set right there, just ask him. twenty minutes later, I got a call from john at industrial parts. All he said was new guy huh? The best part was when he got back to the mine, he said John said they are on order and will be coming in a day or two. I was pulling injectors at that time and he was watching me and all of the sudden it dawned on him.. Lord everyone was laughing so hard. After that the young fellow adjusted his hat back a notch and listened to what we had to say. Sorry for the long winded off topic post, but your sig. line made me think of that time lol.
Take care,
Jay

Gullwing
01-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Yeah I remember being the butt of those jokes when I first started turning wrenches. Now I look forward to the newbies.........Makes my life so full joy.....LOL........Cliff

wantok
01-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Hey zappedalaskan, I think I have a set of plugs for that engine you were talking about. PM me and ill send em to you. :D:D:D

I got the thing flying again all is good, however it did the same thing again only not as bad and I was able to grab it back befor inpact. Maybe its the ESC to close to the RX, Im going to keep it near the ground for a while till its sorted. Any suggestions would be appreaciated.
Drew

zappedalaskan
01-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Hi Drew,
I mount my esc on the bottom of the frame, up under the landing gear, in the middle. That works best for me and it stays cooler there as well.
Glad your back in the air!
Jay

Gullwing
01-27-2006, 12:44 AM
I put my esc as far forward on the frame opposite of the RX.... I hope you get it worked out soon.I don't how it is in Australia but where I am most LHS do not carry the parts, it is online parts only(wait,wait,wait)LOL.........GW

TeslaWinger
01-27-2006, 03:54 AM
Glad it wasn't too ugly. Since the 2 most important things aboard are the rx and esc I want to know as much as possible about them.

The price is tempting but the device is... an unknown. Its amazing how fast they go Earthward immediately upon flatline. Only happened once to me, wiped out a promising foamy on her 3rd flight. Vertical, no survivors.

Separate the components all you can and be sure to twist all the servo, battery and motor wires to keep the noise down, most likely onboard noise eatin yer lunch.

Have you anchored the heli and done a range check? 3/4 throttle is the noisiest rf from an esc and a good testpoint.

Sometimes substitution is the only way to isolate these things, either rx or esc as a last resort if you cant quiet it down with placement/routing and wire twist.

Good luck with that fine lil heli.
TW