PDA

View Full Version : Flying Boats Noob Questions

phupper
10-14-2008, 11:38 AM
I want to make a flying boat to fly on the bay (salt water) near my house. I know most people dont fly on salt water because of the damage it does to electronics, but Im doing it anyway. Of course everything will be waterproofed as best as possible. I only have one 25A motor for this project so Im considering making a Dornier Wal. It has 2 motors in a push-pull setup, so I would just omit the rear motor.
My questions are:
I like the idea of sponsons instead of outboard floats. With no floats to snag the water, are these planes easier to land?

I also like how the motor is mounted high on the wing. If it did flip up-side-down, wouldnt it float on the wing with just the motor submerged and the fuse out of the water?

Also, if anyone could direct me to existing plans for this plane Id appreciate it..otherwise Im working from 3-views.

Thanks!

Phil

TLyttle
10-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Suit yourself about flying over salt water, but it is very likely to cost you a radio...

As far as the single motor is concerned, it may be worth it to gear your motor to a shaft to drive both front and rear props.

phupper
10-15-2008, 12:12 AM
"Suit yourself about flying over salt water, but it is very likely to cost you a radio..."

Yeah I know, using my least-valued electronics for this. I have beautiful flying weather every day and not many places to fly. This big empty bay next door just says "fly me".

I think much of the damage is caused by the way the plane sits in the water after it flips, and that's why I'm considering the Dornier.

Phil

cyclops2
10-16-2008, 02:05 AM
My first flying boat. Roughed out from solid foam. 4...400 motors.:Q

stevecooper
10-16-2008, 02:18 AM
Cyclops (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=4923) Wow! that really something!! good job my bub, steve

stevecooper
10-16-2008, 02:32 AM
phupper (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=14834) Salt waters a No-No!! have'in said that,," motor is mounted high on the wing. If it did flip up-side-down, wouldnt it float on the wing with just the motor submerged and the fuse out of the water?" ,, Yes,,, my tail lays back an the motor doesn't even get that wet,,,""I like the idea of sponsons instead of outboard floats"" I use both!HaHa! A GWS foat un-trimed gives a Butt-Load- buoyincy And there Cheap too, your bub, steve

phupper
10-16-2008, 06:38 AM
"my tail lays back an the motor doesn't even get that wet"

Thanks Steve, that's what I was hoping to hear. I've already started on the fuse/hull. If it gives me trouble I'll go with the GWS float (I didn't know they made them that big).

I like the way your motor is forward, allowing a larger diameter prop. I'm concerned I may not have enough thrust with the motor I'm using, and the smaller prop I'll have to use.

Thanks!

Phil

stevecooper
10-16-2008, 06:45 AM
"my tail lays back an the motor doesn't even get that wet":blah:
When up-side-downzie:rolleyes: in the water the tail,the motor nacell and the top side of one of the wings is what she floats on:D, bub steve

stevecooper
10-16-2008, 06:50 AM
"my tail lays back an the motor doesn't even get that wet"

Thanks Steve, that's what I was hoping to hear. I've already started on the fuse/hull. If it gives me trouble I'll go with the GWS float (I didn't know they made them that big).

I like the way your motor is forward, allowing a larger diameter prop. I'm concerned I may not have enough thrust with the motor I'm using, and the smaller prop I'll have to use.

Thanks!

Phil
Shes got a 2409-18 outie(25 ESC&1600three cell))swing'in a 9/7 cut down to 8", The planes just two chunker gliders chopped together with barbie skewers , your bub, steve

phupper
11-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Well, here's the link to what I came up with:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=506671#post506671

Phil

fairplane
12-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Did you know that there are 2 good products for waterproofing electronics? One is aeroplate and the other is corrosion X. I have submersed servos and receivers in aeroplate when flying on freshwater lakes(nitro planes).These products should help with what you want to do. You can do research-they are remarkeable!