PDA

View Full Version : Great Planes Combat Corsair

Old Fart
01-24-2006, 10:50 PM
...was sitting on the modeling table at my buddies house last night. Turns out it's my early birthday present :)

Will be converting it to electric (calls for a .20 nitro engine). So far, research is finding:

Feigao 380S/Cobri 28 4.23:1 gearbox, 4S LiPo, 11x5.5E

Multiplex BL480-4G, 4.4:1, 3S LiPo

Not looking for "3D" by any means - but want it to be fast...

Gullwing
01-25-2006, 12:30 AM
I converted that plane with an AXI. Here is a tip the plane, just like most glow conversions are tail heavy. Put all your components up front as far as possible. I had to cut the firewall to move the battery as far a possible to get it to balance.....GW

Old Fart
01-25-2006, 12:45 AM
GW, that's the second time I've seen the battery all the way up front - the other was here:
http://www.e-flightline.com/movie.htm

About 17 files down.

Which Axi did you use GW?

Gullwing
01-25-2006, 01:18 AM
I used the AXI 2808/20. IMO it was not enough I would go at least one size up. Yeah I saw the e-flightline site. I would go with their setup it seems like it pulls it around very well....... Good luck and let me know how it goes. I might want to try it again.....GW

Old Fart
02-14-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm glad I asked as I almost plunked down the cash for that motor today. I'm thinking maybe the e-Flite Power 25 is a better choice if I go outrunner - anyone have any strong thoughts on the "gearbox vs. direct drive" for this application?

finishman2000
02-24-2006, 12:35 AM
I have both the Corsair and the Mustang in glow. The Mustang cuts through the air and the Corsair is a brick with that huge cowl in front. I have the Multiplex 480 BL4 turn with the 4.4 gearbox and love it. I think it would be perfect for the Corsair. With a 3 cell, 12x6 prop you'll get 50oz of trust and only be pulling 26 amps. Polk just released their 30 amp ESC for $32 and it works great.

Old Fart
02-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Outstanding - that Multiplex showed up in my net search - and as such is on the spreadsheet (never guess I'm an engineer) :)

I'll collect data/real world opinions for a bit longer, probably make a choice middle of next month.

TNX!

Old Fart
05-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Ok, time to revive this thread :)

I went with the e-flightline package (Fiegao 3600kv motor, Cobri 4.23:1 gearbox/25A ESC/4S 2500mah lipo) Discovered something "interesting" while testing my Park BEC - the motor kept shutting off at half throttle.

Started investigating the why - it seems that E-Flightline decided I had a "need for speed" - as they shipped me a 4750kv motor!

I've upped the ESC to 45A and will probably deprop a bit from 11x5.5. Battery is good for 30A continuous, not looking like I'll be at full throttle enough to worry about it.

Old Fart
05-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Update - just about finished the plane last night (would have if I could have found a 1/12 pilot and some servo covers).

Ran several Motocalc simulations yesterday, decided to try a 10x7E and 10x5E (was pretty sure the 10x7E wasn't going to work - but 70mph was calling me).

10x7E was over 54A on initial throttle (within 2A of Motocalc), and had to drop to about 80% to get it to 30A (battery amp rating)

10x5E was also about 48A on initial, between 80-90% for 30A.

Motocalc tells me that 87% throttle on the 10x7E will be 30A at 58mph (30A@58mph), 100% on the 10x5E is only 27A.

Will probably fly both, am ordering a BNB inflight recorder - hopefully I can run the 10x7E :)

Old Fart
05-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Well - the good news is that flight #1 yesterday was spectacular.

Bad news - even at partial throttle, the ESC got way too hot. CC45 melted off almost all of the IC's (and all three motor leads) during flight #2 - lost reciever power and she went in :(

Ordered a new fueslage this morning, will order an E-Flite Power 25 this afternoon (if the LHS down the street doesn't have it)

Eplane65
09-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Hey guys, don't forget this is a fighter. You don't want it powered by a wimpy motor. Here's what I used on my Corsair:

AXI 2820/10
Kokam 3S1P 3200 LiPo battery
Phoenix 45 ESC
APC 10X7 prop
Weight: 2 lbs 14 oz.
Performance: 440 watts at 42 amps.

I mounted the ESC on the firewall and had to add 2 oz of lead to balance it. How does it fly? It goes like stink! Very smooth and fast.

All of the motors that you have discussed are not strong enough except the Power 25. Go for it.

Old Fart
09-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Power 25 is what's in the rebuilt plane - haven't flown it yet. The 4750kv Feigao/gearbox more than fast enough. Well over 650 watts, a little over 60mph on the radar gun.

Problem is - generated almost 65A doing it :(

WWI Ace
09-03-2006, 02:06 PM
You'll like your Power 25!!!! I have one in a .25 size Fokker triplane I converted to electric. Even with about a 40oz. all up weight and three wings of drag I still fly easily at half throttle!!!! I'm running a 12x6 APC prop, not the Slowfly. Steve

ducatirdr
10-05-2006, 05:29 PM
So the sleeping giant is wide awake after flying the crap out of my Parkzone FW190. My return to R/C after 20 years is really enjoying this ARF stuff that is available and trying to figure out what's next is half the fun. I am picking up a DX6 for my radio and then next step was looking for a 40 inch wing span war bird to build with a good brushless and lipo setup. Although I really like the detail of foamies I'm most concerned about their small size. I fly with gas planes at the field and want something that won't get lost in the sky when I fly at those sites. I'll keep my small planes for the park but want something like this bird to build and learn how to set up a fast, reliable, decent looking warbird.

I found the GP Combat Corsair to meet those criteria but the next step from RTF to ARF is a huge one for me. I need to put together an engine, ESC, battery and prop package. Rather than blindly order from some "we did the work for you" I'd rather know what the hell I'm doing with WHY I got each item. What do I do next?

How do you figure out what motor, ESC or battery? And what about bench testing and prop sizes? :confused:

Yes of course I'd like to hear. I got the GP Corsiar set up with an Eflight 25 with a blah blah blah. But more important is how did you know to do it that way.

I'm blind looking for answers. Show me the links ;)

Eplane65
10-06-2006, 01:06 AM
I'm flying the exact model. I found the GP Combat Corsair to be a well made ARF, better than I could build. It was easy to assemble and convert to electric power. My only criticism is that the covering material keeps wrinkling even after I hit it with a heat gun, but it's not too bad. Here's my power set up:

Motor: AXI 2820/10
ESC: Castle Creations Phoenix 45
Battery: Kokam 3 cell 3200 mAH LiPo(Electrifly makes the identical one)
Prop: 10X7 APC E
AMPS: 42
Watts: 440 (input)
Weight ready to fly: 2 lb, 12 oz.

This plane is a bit overpowered, but it's a blast to fly. It goes like stink when making a low pass and has good vertical performance. You'll love it.

ducatirdr
10-14-2006, 12:18 PM
With my background in stick built rubber and R/C 20 years ago, and my acute R/C itch being in full scratch mode after those Parkzone FW/Hobbyzone SC birds made me itchier. I'm looking to go to the next step. I want a fast warbird that has a 40" or bigger span that is electric. I know the Corsair is a great flying plane and it looks cool so its at the top of the list. My LHS has this in stock and I keep going over to it and holding the fuse and wings everytime I stop in. So here are my questions to you all.

Should I skip this and go with an electric ARF specific model OR can this be done with your help should I run into issues? (It looks like a piece of cake to my eyes).

I'm planning of going with an E-Flight Power 25 with their matching ESC w/recomended batteries and prop. I know I can save a few bucks with other stuff but they make it so easy to put together a package. What say you?

Because I'm out of the hobby and have only PZ radios I'm looking at the Spektrum DX6 as my radio. Do you think this could be someones only radio? I plan on going bigger as I may move on with 60 sized electrics. I don't fly far away as I don't like seeing a spec in the sky but can the DX6 fly in larger planes?

I have to outlay a lot of cash to go to the next step and I need a push.

$99 Plane
$199 Radio
$125 Charger
$85 Engine
$50 ESC
$? Batt's
$? Servos
$? Building supplies
Priceless - GF's reaction to all these boxes showing up and she wants a new couch !!!

(Of course this is cheap compaired to my old hobby - Road Racing motorcycles CCS #737 2003 Daytona 2nd place and a bunch of podiums at NHIS LRRS series):D

Eplane65
10-14-2006, 06:42 PM
With my background in stick built rubber and R/C 20 years ago, and my acute R/C itch being in full scratch mode after those Parkzone FW/Hobbyzone SC birds made me itchier. I'm looking to go to the next step. I want a fast warbird that has a 40" or bigger span that is electric. I know the Corsair is a great flying plane and it looks cool so its at the top of the list. My LHS has this in stock and I keep going over to it and holding the fuse and wings everytime I stop in. So here are my questions to you all.

Should I skip this and go with an electric ARF specific model OR can this be done with your help should I run into issues? (It looks like a piece of cake to my eyes).

I'm planning of going with an E-Flight Power 25 with their matching ESC w/recomended batteries and prop. I know I can save a few bucks with other stuff but they make it so easy to put together a package. What say you?

Because I'm out of the hobby and have only PZ radios I'm looking at the Spektrum DX6 as my radio. Do you think this could be someones only radio? I plan on going bigger as I may move on with 60 sized electrics. I don't fly far away as I don't like seeing a spec in the sky but can the DX6 fly in larger planes?

I have to outlay a lot of cash to go to the next step and I need a push.

$99 Plane
$199 Radio
$125 Charger
$85 Engine
$50 ESC
$? Batt's
$? Servos
$? Building supplies
Priceless - GF's reaction to all these boxes showing up and she wants a new couch !!!

(Of course this is cheap compaired to my old hobby - Road Racing motorcycles CCS #737 2003 Daytona 2nd place and a bunch of podiums at NHIS LRRS series):D

If you are not a recent exprienced flyer, the Combat Corsair will be too much for you. It's fast and will get away from you quickly. I, too, was out of the hobby for 20 years after pylon racing and other stuff. When I got back in, I started with a 60 powered Extra 300. Boy, it was like starting all over again.

ducatirdr
10-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Well for experience lately I've been flying the PZ FW190 to death. High rates, inverted, pattern flying... I'm very bored with its slow speed so I'm making inverted low passes and other stuff you do when you are bored with a plane. I'm tired of diving it to pick up enough speed to do fast on the deck flying.

Hence the Corsair...

So anyway I'll start with a build of the Corsair should anyone be interested as I just went out and spent the money on it.

eye definiti
10-16-2006, 12:46 AM
I disagree, yesterday I was flying with a guy who had a fw-190 stock right out of the box w/ 11.1v 2100 mah lipo and that thing was quick!

AFG_Crusader
12-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Flys great!
Axi 2820/10
TP4000 3s
10x7http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20431&stc=1&d=1166478450

Old Fart
12-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Well, I've flown mine several times since my last post. Almost 15 minutes of flight, only put 1880 mA back into each 2100 mAh lipo.

AFG_Crusader
12-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah oldfart,I flew 11 min today and only put 2500 back in the pack. It flys real good and the sound is cool too but its not as fast as my Jepe Mustang.:D

jknust
10-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Sorry to revive such an old post, but I just bought one of these :ws:. Old Fart - were you getting 15 mins of flight on 3S1P 2100mah, E-Flite Power 25, & CC PX 45? Any gearbox, and specific prop? If so, that sounds super for this plane! I have just the plane, now looking for the best power train (don't need top speed - just decent power and good run time). I'm really looking forward to this kit....

Joshua

Well, I've flown mine several times since my last post. Almost 15 minutes of flight, only put 1880 mA back into each 2100 mAh lipo.

ducatirdr
10-06-2007, 06:45 AM
I've had my Combat Corsair for about a year now and fly it often. It has held up really well. I used E-Flite Power 25 with an E-Flite 40amp ESC and two 3 cell 2100's in wired together in parallel. The two batt's fit perfectly into the gas tank cut out in in the bulk head where I use the same rubber band provided with the kit to hold the gas tank in place to hold them instead. OldFart is right about run times. I'm getting a solid 15 minutes of flight time and still have a good 25% still left in them.

Make sure you go with metal gear servo's in the wings for the ailerons. I now don't worry about stripping them on landings.

It's a great plane and it flies like a dream. I'm really happy with mine and everyone enjoys it when I bring it to the field. It will go vertical with that setup.:D

Take a look at my build thread for a closer look.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11474

Old Fart
10-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Sorry to revive such an old post, but I just bought one of these :ws:. Old Fart - were you getting 15 mins of flight on 3S1P 2100mah, E-Flite Power 25, & CC PX 45? Any gearbox, and specific prop? If so, that sounds super for this plane! I have just the plane, now looking for the best power train (don't need top speed - just decent power and good run time). I'm really looking forward to this kit....

Joshua

Joshua,

No gearbox - and running a 12x8E. Bear in mind that I run (2) 2100's in parallel - so 4200mah.

sheleymonster
01-18-2008, 10:31 AM
How do you guys feel about a E-flite power 15 on 4 cells in a combat mustang?
Ive bench run it on 3 cells and a 10x5 prop, but am only seeing about half ot the motors potential. The motor is good for around 400 watts input and im getting about 225.

ducatirdr
01-18-2008, 03:03 PM
I've seen the P-51 fly with a nitro .25 in it and it RIPS. The top speed has to be close to 100mph. My Corsair with the power-25 in it has about a 75mph top speed.

So taking that info you can figure out that the .15 might work fine in the P-51 as it is smaller than the Corsair.

benovisoff
01-05-2009, 02:58 AM
Well - the good news is that flight #1 yesterday was spectacular.

Bad news - even at partial throttle, the ESC got way too hot. CC45 melted off almost all of the IC's (and all three motor leads) during flight #2 - lost reciever power and she went in :(

Ordered a new fueslage this morning, will order an E-Flite Power 25 this afternoon (if the LHS down the street doesn't have it)

I am gonna get one! am not sure to use eflite 15 or 25. If its tail heavy I might use the 25. I wonder if a 3s will do well with the 25 and still get it up there, with 11X10 apc

sheleymonster
01-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Well I sold my Mustang to a friend of mine (I bought the Corsair instead) I also sold him my power 15 and let me tell you!! WOW!!! he is running a 3 cell 4000 mAh battery and an 11x10 prop. it is every bit as fast as an O.S. .25 That batt and prop puts the motor right at its peak watt. I have no doubt that the power 25 is all the Corsair will need!!! WOOT!!!

cv640
01-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Well I sold my Mustang to a friend of mine (I bought the Corsair instead) I also sold him my power 15 and let me tell you!! WOW!!! he is running a 3 cell 4000 mAh battery and an 11x10 prop. it is every bit as fast as an O.S. .25 That batt and prop puts the motor right at its peak watt. I have no doubt that the power 25 is all the Corsair will need!!! WOOT!!!

I have a Combat Mustang that I converted with a Scorpion 3020-12 and run it with APC 10x10E and 3s 4000 and it has yet to not be the fastest airplane at the field. I prop it down to a 10x7 if I want to use a 2100.

Old Fart
01-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I am gonna get one! am not sure to use eflite 15 or 25. If its tail heavy I might use the 25. I wonder if a 3s will do well with the 25 and still get it up there, with 11X10 apc

Even with a Power 25 and (2) 2100/3S lipos, I still have nose weight :)

cv640
01-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I have the Scorpion 3020-12 mounted on 3/4 inch nylon standoffs off the front of the firewall. There is a pic of it on the "Show me your Scorpion" thread. I put the battery tray just behind the firewall and it flys great with either a 3s 4000 or a 3s 2100. It seems to be balanced just right (and did I mention FAST?).

benovisoff
01-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Even with a Power 25 and (2) 2100/3S lipos, I still have nose weight :)

Of course there will be nose weight. Thats heavy stuff.

Whisner
12-16-2009, 05:27 AM
Call me "Late for dinner!"

I'm joining this thread way too late but I just got one of these Corsairs from a friend for $25. Minus all the guts. What I have to put in it is an Electrifly Rimfire .10 motor (35-30-1250kv), Tower Pro SG90 servos, a 40amp ESC, Rx, and my lipos range from 1300map 15C to 2250map 30C.

Will this bird fly worth a hoot on the Rimfire 1250kv, 40amp ESC, and 2250map 30C lipo?

Has anyone mod'd theirs with landing gear or possibly retracts?