PDA

View Full Version : Electrifly Camel

cocobear
10-17-2008, 09:24 PM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LNVKS0&P=G

DJ

Bill G
10-18-2008, 05:13 AM
My LHS owner and I were just discussing how a park Camel has to be due out soon. I've been expecting this to come out any day now. Amazing there has been pretty much not smaller park sizes since the Wattage, except for the new BP Hobbies version. Guess BP better get theirs sold while they can now.
As nice as the Eflite SE5A was, I was hoping they might make a foamy Camel.

Percyflyer
10-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Hey dave,

Looks good, already have it on order. I guess next year at the HDP we are going to have an all electric fly and see how many of your Warbirds we can get in the air at one time.

sir percy

cocobear
10-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Or Electrifly dog fights. The mid airs will be cheeper than 1/3rd scales:-)

7car7
10-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Looks good, I had no idea this was even in the works, only saw the SPAD coming.

cocobear
10-21-2008, 06:44 PM
After the delays with the SPAD, I kept my big yap shut!

Percyflyer
10-21-2008, 06:59 PM
I put down Matt's SE5A last year with my D-VII. It's the only mid air we have had at the HDP.

I won't mention my big mouth??????

steve

Biplane Murphy
10-22-2008, 01:25 AM
OK....now I want this one too!!

Bill G
10-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Wonder how this compares with the recent, slightly less expensive BP Camel?
Bet they aren't happy that this came out. Maybe they'll drop the price to 50 bucks and I may get one.:D

Off the bat, the Electrifly's toothpick guns and bullet prop adapter have to go. Wooden prop is always nice on any of these WWI planes too. The BP guns look better at a glance, but the wire landing gear has to go.

Percyflyer
10-22-2008, 02:20 AM
Hey Dave,

Just saw the foam Pup on Towers website. Is this the little one you had at HDP???

steve

Bill G
10-22-2008, 06:00 AM
So much scale detail it's knocking me dead::D
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVWC0&P=7

A nice foam Camel with the front panels which the Wattage didn't have would be nice.

cocobear
10-22-2008, 02:29 PM
No this one is bigger to take more "standard" RC gear. An absolute ball to fly both indoors and out. It was something I designed late last year when I started fooling around with depron.

Elfwreck
12-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey now,
So like everybody else I've been waiting quietly for the new Spad.
Reading the hype as I found it, thinking about how cool it was going to be to have one of my very favorite WWI planes in my fleet.

So I was surprised when reading our local club list the LHS guy "Perry" posted a note saying the new elctrafly Sopwith Camel was in stock.
I was sure it was a misprint. I hadn't heard anything about a 'Camel.

So I grabbed my youngest from school at her days end and drove down to the south bay on the theory that either
1) he misposted and it was the Spad, or...
2)That my childhood fantasies were about to be fulfilled.
Yes, ever since I was a little boy and my parents bought me that record album. "Snoopy and his friends, The Royal Guardsmen." with all those songs about 'Camels, I've been in love with this airplane.

"Snoopy vs the red baron", "the return of the red baron", "Sopwith Camel time", "Down behind the lines", "...in my airplane" All those horrid silly songs with that early sixties "Brittish beat" and pseudo Beatles harmonies.

Those songs still run through my head from time to time as I fly my biplanes...

Oh yeah, the ARF it self. It's a very nice one. Right up with the other models in the series. Good shape, well fitting parts, no wrinkles in the covering, even the colours are decent. Should be a good flyer like the Se5a. I hope it's not like the DrI, that one's well, a bit of a handfull most days...
I only have one problem. My kids saw it. They know Snoopy flys a 'Camel
and now they're looking for a Snoopy bust for the pilot's seat.
When they do find it, how can I say no?
RobII

Elfwreck
12-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey now,O.k., so. I sat down at 2:00pm friday and started fitting bits together and poking at pieces. I mostly followed the directions as uaual and by 8:00pm I had a ready to fly Sopwith Camel ready to fly. Took it to the field on scatturday and it was windy, gusts 5-17 ene. Very bad as we've got a ridge on the east side so it was all rotors and lumpy, bumpy air. I settled for flying foam jets and foamie pushers. Scumday however dawned cold and overcast with a very light west wind. Cold, sure, by California standards (42*F) but light winds. So I loaded the 'Camel's battery, did one last preflight and set her on the runway.Full up elevator and push the throttle slowly open. Sjhe pulled forward almost straight, but a twist of the rudder and a blip of the throttle and she straightened right out. A bit more power, ease off the elevator and the tail came up as pretty as you please. No wing rock, no ground loop, just pulling forwards nicely. Breathe on the elevator stick and she's in the air at half throttle. Climb out and level off at twenty feet. Let go of the sticks and she eases her nose up, a few clicks down trim and she's flying nice and level if a bit fast at half throttle so I ease off on the throtle a tad bit and she's happy.I do a few laps around the field and she's fine. A little power, a little altitude, try a loop... Yup, nice and easy. Maybe a roll? Sure enough, just barrely enough to look right. Hmmm, Inverted? Oh my, how nice, very solid feel, a tiny bit sloppy in manuvers as it should be. All in all a very nice model I think. Looks good, flies well too. I'm keepin' it.RobII

Biplane Murphy
12-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Nice result Rob.

Glad to hear it all went well.

I want one of these too, but the kids seem to keep my wallet a bit light...LOL

Hopefully I will squeeze it into the budget soon.