PDA

View Full Version : Formosa Crash

Larry G
10-26-2008, 07:02 AM
On about the 7th flight of my new GWS Formosa, I finally had it sorted out and was actually relaxing and able to have fun seeing what it could do.

Previous flights were plagued with broken motor mounts and props from rough landings. I was out at the edge of the field setting up a nice long landing approach. Depth perception was way off. While I was cutting a slightly decending flat turn, I pegged a palo verde tree (nasty thorns). This tree was across the street, and I even flew between power lines to hit it. Lucky I didn't put it in the street and hit a car.

The poor Formosa went in about 25-30 MPH. This tree had long thin branches with tiny leaves. The wing got 1 big slot cut from the leading edge halfway back, and three 1-2" slots. the big one cracked the wing all the way back, but the CF spar I installed kept it mainly in place. The fuselage ripped in half just behind the wing, and the servo rods ripped a big tear down the fuselage. Both tail servos stripped, one even busted the arm in half.

Luckily this tree was climbable, because the wing was stuck on the branches impaling the wing.

I love foam! Already got it glued back together, some new servos and prop and she's ready to go tomorrow. I do have to let the Gorilla glue foam up and dry on the wing so I can grind it down tomorrow morning.

Wish me luck.

Twmaster
10-26-2008, 07:07 AM
Good luck Larry. I have a NIB 'Mosa on the way. I totaled my first one. Beyond repair.

CHELLIE
10-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi Larry :) try using some 5 min epoxy, it works great, and no grinding the foam up from the gorilla glue :) what works good to, when using gorilla glue, is to cover it with some clear tape, that way the gorilla glue does not foam out, Take care, Chellie

groundrushesup
10-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Good luck Larry. I have a NIB 'Mosa on the way. I totaled my first one. Beyond repair.

Is that the Formosa or the Formosa II? Reason I ask is cause I have one sitting in a box at the end of my workbench - planning to 'glass' it with silk fabric before I put it together to give it a little more toughness - lord knows I am hell on EPS so I can use all the help I can get :p>

Twmaster
10-26-2008, 07:47 AM
That was a 'Mosa I.

Do you have a I or II sitting there?? Rather than resin and silk I'd use water based polyurethane and tissue or silkspan. Nice and light. Easy cleanup.

groundrushesup
10-26-2008, 07:55 AM
That was a 'Mosa I.

Do you have a I or II sitting there?? Rather than resin and silk I'd use water based polyurethane and tissue or silkspan. Nice and light. Easy cleanup.

The Mosa II. I am not going super-light with this one don't think - I bought 5 yards of Habotai Silk from Thaisilks.com and a big can of Minwax WBPU. I also picked up the ultra-light GWS retracts - the ones with the CF struts... just incase I wanna add those down the road. 5 Servos on a foam plane... should be interesting. :p>

GRU

Twmaster
10-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Note to OP: Sorry to hijack your thread.

That ought to be just fine. The 'Mosa II has lots more wing. Just be sure to put 250-300W up front! I love that WBPU. The new 'Mosa I I have coming is going to get the silkspan and WBPU treatment.

Larry G
10-27-2008, 05:12 AM
Flew the repaired Formosa today. Was going to meet my buddy at 2PM, and I got it all set up just before leaving. The thing was ugly, with jagged epoxy beads on the fuselage and patched foam and yellow gorilla glue all over the wings. My buddy saw it and said it really looked like it took a beating. I named it "Franken Formosa". The darn thing flew perfect! Ran four batteries through it. The thing is really crisp handling and tracks well.

I'm scared to fill the gashes with spackle and repaint it to be purdy, it will probably make me wad it up again.......................

Bub Steve
10-27-2008, 05:23 AM
The Mosa II. I am not going super-light with this one don't think - I bought 5 yards of Habotai Silk from Thaisilks.com and a big can of Minwax WBPU. I also picked up the ultra-light GWS retracts - the ones with the CF struts... just incase I wanna add those down the road. 5 Servos on a foam plane... should be interesting. :p>

GRU
For'moo'ssa's fly best LIGHT!!!:D your bub, steve

Bub Steve
10-27-2008, 05:27 AM

GRU
With 5 servos don't forget to add a UBEC!!! good luck my bub sounds like she's gonna be Cool! bub, steve