PDA

View Full Version : Nu.B. Please comment on my gws corsair setup

sigepkev
01-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Hi.

Ive been flying for a little while now, but I still dont know too much about specifics. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I am currently building a gws corsair with the 400 motor in it. My proposed set up is as follows.

stock motor and gearing.
1100mah 9.6v(8cell) 2/3a battery
unknow speed control( I will get one that is brushless/lipo compatable)
4ch. hitec reciever-not sure the name, but the light one with good range.
-servo's-really wondering how much this plane needs. I am thining about going with these- http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/440201.asp
HOw much servo does this plane need? I am also thinking of just using 1 servo for the ailerons as indicated in other posts.( my battery is heavy and I want to save weight.

Is the rudder realy that useful?-I dont use it much except for fun on my current plane(easyglider).

Any comments that would help me out would be really appreciated as I have flown before but do not know much tech stuff.

Thank you in advance,

Kevin

P.s.- They guy at the hobby store told me that the glue that came with the kit was *edit*"not good" and that I should use 5 min epoxy- what do you think.

VACaver
01-26-2006, 01:20 PM
I used the single servo method for my ailerons and it works just fine. Rudder is not really needed, but it doesn't hurt to have it hooked up should you decide to use it in the future.

I've never liked the GWS glue and use 5-minute epoxy on all my builds. However, use it sparingly...to much will start adding too much weight.

Big_Bird
01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Hi.

Ive been flying for a little while now, but I still dont know too much about specifics. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I am currently building a gws corsair with the 400 motor in it. My proposed set up is as follows.

stock motor and gearing.
1100mah 9.6v(8cell) 2/3a battery
unknow speed control( I will get one that is brushless/lipo compatable)
4ch. hitec reciever-not sure the name, but the light one with good range.
-servo's-really wondering how much this plane needs. I am thining about going with these- http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/440201.asp
HOw much servo does this plane need? I am also thinking of just using 1 servo for the ailerons as indicated in other posts.( my battery is heavy and I want to save weight.

Is the rudder realy that useful?-I dont use it much except for fun on my current plane(easyglider).

Any comments that would help me out would be really appreciated as I have flown before but do not know much tech stuff.

Thank you in advance,

Kevin

P.s.- They guy at the hobby store told me that the glue that came with the kit was *edit*"not good" and that I should use 5 min epoxy- what do you think.
I believe the 400 is a brushed motor so you can't use a brushless ESC on this type of motor.
What else would you do with the rudder besides having fun with it? I enjoy using it for stall turns and spins and knife edge flight. I highly recommend it.
I used the glue that came with the kit and it worked OK. The only place that I used epoxy was for the firewall since I used a brushless motor. The next time I build one I will use foam friendly CA throughout. It's the best glue.
One servo for the aileron is the best way to go. I used 4 Hitec HS-55 servos.

My setup:
MP Jet outrunner with APC 9 x 6 SF prop and 25 amp Cool Running ESC
FMA M5v2 dual conversion receiver with Azarr short antenna on 50 mhz
1320 mah 11.1 volt 3s lipo

The plane is a great flyer (race horse) but not a trainer.

Good luck!

Big_Bird
01-26-2006, 05:12 PM
I highly recommend the one servo aileron torque rod method. I bought RC car antenna tubes at the LHS. There are epoxied into the slot in the wing for the torque rod. They serve as very flexible guides and can be covered over with light weight spackling. Make new torque rods because you will have to bend the aileron end of the rod in place. I also drilled and inserted a short length of the antenna tube into each aileron so that the L shaped end of the rod would not be working directly in the foam. Before you slide the rod down the antenna tube put 1 drop of 3 in 1 oil into the tube. This will make for near frictionless operation.

L0stS0ul
01-27-2006, 05:07 AM
Do yourself a favor and read through these 2 threads.

Part 1
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344133

Part 2
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449966

It will save you a ton of headaches.