PDA

View Full Version : Great Planes F-glass SeaWind Conversion

billdor
11-06-2008, 04:40 AM
I have a Great Planes fibreglass Fuse SeaWind that I want to convert from the OS 91 FS to Electric power.
I am having trouble finding the right motor because you can not use a large diameter prop (it will hit the cocpit).
Has anyone done this? What motor and prop combo should I use?
I have a 50 65 380kv Turnigy Aerodrive Motor, do you think it would work with a 15" 3 blade?
Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

decolvin
12-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question. But this is one that's one my someday to-do list, so I'm signing on to watch how it goes down. Thanks for starting it up!

larryross
01-17-2009, 04:20 AM
To use a smaller prop you need a higher KV motor to get the same thrust or you will be running at WOT most of the time.

Why do you think a 15" prop wouldn't work? Use a higher pitch to increase the watts. I haven't put a pencil to it, but it would look to me like it would work fine. I'll respond later when I have the time to figure it. There are on line power calculators you could use. Don't have a link off hand.

larryross
01-17-2009, 04:36 AM
Try this link.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/eflight/planes.html

larryross
01-17-2009, 04:55 AM
This link might help also.

Good luck
Larry

Larry3215
01-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Your going to need to put at least 1000-1500 watts into that bird to get decent performance Id think, so you need a hefty motor.

Ive been running into the same thing on my Polaris build.

Which motor you need and which kV depends on 2 things - max prop clearance and which batteries your going to use.

If your running enough voltage, that motor might work - IF it can handle the watts. The rateings on those cheep motors are usually exagerated a lot.

Seawinds are relatively heavy planes with moderately hi wing loadings. Your going to be 10-12 pounds at least, so that 1000 watts will be an absolute minimum Id think. 1500-2000 would be better.

Good luck!

larryross
01-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Sorry I didn't include the link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660997&highlight=Seawind+conversion

This link might help also.

Good luck
Larry