PDA

View Full Version : Gee bee crashes - pilot depressed

Capt Easy
11-07-2008, 04:19 PM
This morning at at aproximently 9:25 AM the pilot of a Gee Bee Mini Super Sportster lost control and crashed in a field at an undisclosed location in the Texas Hill Country.
Initial reports indicate the pilot survived a severe blow to his ego and confidence. The pilot initially witnessed complete loss of control however further investigation will hopefully determine the cause accident.
Photos at 6:00.

firemanbill
11-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Bummer... You have my condolences...:(

WingingIt74
11-07-2008, 05:00 PM
They've been known as widow makers... still love them though ;)

Angler-Hi
11-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm so sorry Dick! Which one was she, the HL or GM? Tell me she's repairable.

Capt Easy
11-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks my friends. It was the HL model - and I can honestly say at this point I don't know what happened. I flew it last night and this morning prior to my Super Cub without any problems. Wind/weather condition were ideal at first. After one batttery in the Gee Bee I landed and took the Super Cub up for one cycle. The air was perfectly calm and I landed the SC and put a fresh bat into the GB. It took off straight as an arrow then about 3-4 minutes into the flight the wind very suddenly picked up and became a little gusty and I noticed the plane acting unusually odd without much input from me at all. Marked increased lack of controllability alarmed me and I decided to land it asap. On downwind it went completly out of control as I started turning base to final. I closed throttle and she went straight in from about 40-50 feet.

All I can say is it looked to me like the plane lost signal or something - I'm pretty certain it wasn't pilot error due to wind or bad thumbs. The
Has anyone heard of anything similiar happending with 2.4GHz electronics??

I haven't studied the damage in detail but it looks like it may be repairable. The fuse suffered the brunt. Wing tips took a bit of the force also but really wasn't as bad as I expected. I have to look it over better and right now I can't quite bring myself to do it yet.

Heres some photos...painfull as they are

firemanbill
11-07-2008, 07:59 PM
That does stink bud. Let it sit for few days before diggin in to it as that always tends to make it not look so bad.

What Rx did you have in it? What is the total package electronics wise, motor/esc/servos/battery?

powerlines
11-07-2008, 09:08 PM
HEY.. Just like the Stinger that Crashed last Sun.. AT LEAST the pilot and Spektatorz waz OK..

Sorry dude.. I hope the guts are OK.

powerlines
11-07-2008, 09:11 PM
ANd. with Spektrum.. It goes into fail safe when you loose signal.. It will drop to idle and servos stay like they are.. It may have snapped out with the wind blowing like it was..

Angler-Hi
11-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Dick, if there's anything I can do just let me know friend. I'm really sorry to hear about your crash man. I know how much you loved that thing...REBUILD!!!!

Capt Easy
11-08-2008, 12:13 AM
It's the nature of the sport is all it is. I'm still very new at it and learning the hard way as many of you no doubt have had to do as well.

In defiance, I just returned from the wringing Super Cub out and I feel a little better but sure did miss 18Y.

The more I think about it, it definately appeared something went haywire with the signal or maybe a servo.

It'll fly again in one form or another.

Press on Roscoe

firemanbill
11-08-2008, 12:35 AM
That's the spirit.!

When I did this

I was absolutely heartbroken. It does happen. All of our little planes have an expiration date on them. If you look real close at the battery hatch you can see it plain as day. On yours it says 11-07-08;-)

groundrushesup
11-08-2008, 02:52 AM
It's the nature of the sport is all it is. I'm still very new at it and learning the hard way as many of you no doubt have had to do as well.

In defiance, I just returned from the wringing Super Cub out and I feel a little better but sure did miss 18Y.

The more I think about it, it definately appeared something went haywire with the signal or maybe a servo.

It'll fly again in one form or another.

Press on Roscoe

Wow. Sorry to hear about that, it was a great flyer, too. Now I'm really kicking myself for the video error last weekend.

Something about today, maybe - I snuck out to the back 40 to put my F&L 3000 (that's what I call that monstrosity you saw me fly last Sat.) up for a pack or two, and it was really twitchy for some reason. Having had enough really bad experiences fighting with a plane just to prove something and run out the pack, I decided to bring it in.

Long story short, it nosed over on me on my final circuit to get into landing position and...

It won't be flying again. Ever.

Not that it compares, but it certainly does make me leery about putting my Gee Bee up too early - especially without a lot more landing experience in my case.

Tough break Dick. Gimme a shout and we can talk about what might've happened with the radio.

Josh

Fly Time
11-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Aw dang it Dick! Sorry to see that buddy. She looks pretty beat up.

Any chance the battery slid back and made you too tail heavy to turn without stalling? I've often worried about that happening with mine. There is so much room in that battery compartment that it could happen easily if the battery wasn't tied down tight. I crashed my Corsair once when the CG shifted on takeoff due to a loose ESC.

Capt Easy
11-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Thanks Doug. I'll be doing a system check. It wasn't a Cg issue I'm certain. It acted like an electrical malfunction like a servo glitch. I'll find out what I can and post the results sometime after Sunday.
As much as I dislike it I do have a back up kit that I'll probably put together before I attempt a rebuild.

That's a tough break Josh sorry about your bad luck there too. Do you have any idea what caused it yet? Did you mention that it had a bad habit of nosing over for some reason or was that something else?

Better days are coming...just you wait and see.

groundrushesup
11-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Thanks Doug. I'll be doing a system check. It wasn't a Cg issue I'm certain. It acted like an electrical malfunction like a servo glitch. I'll find out what I can and post the results sometime after Sunday.
As much as I dislike it I do have a back up kit that I'll probably put together before I attempt a rebuild.

That's a tough break Josh sorry about your bad luck there too. Do you have any idea what caused it yet? Did you mention that it had a bad habit of nosing over for some reason or was that something else?

Better days are coming...just you wait and see.

4 servos, I wonder if the ESC went screwy and having all 4 servos in use like you would in a bank caused a power dip, and consequently a reboot of the Rx? I know the HS-55's only pull .5A maximum and the ESC is probably rated above 3A, but hrmm, who knows. If I remember correctly Dick you are the only Gee Bee pilot of the three (You, Doug and Mike) who are flying with a 2.4GHz radio. Unless I am mistaken, a 'hit' on an FM signal does not cause the Rx to "reboot" like it does with DSM/DSM2, a process which can take 2-3 seconds in the best case scenario...

I'm definitely going with the UBEC now.

Lockouts happen. I've had two, but I traced their origins back to mistakes on my part - a loose signal wire from the ESC to the Rx in one case and an incorrectly positioned Tx aerial in the other.

Ya know I hate to bring up a bogeyman here, but the on-again/off-again problems you have with binding the AR6000 - next time I come up I'll bring a spare AR6100 (which is DSM2, not DSM1) and we'll delve into this weird behavior.

As far as my foamie creation is concerned - the biggest loss was the original hotrod paint job, but that was ruined months ago. :p> All the gear made it through, and will now be used on another Funder & Lightning - this one a bit less ragged from the get-go ;-)

I'm drinking a beer for the ol' 18Y.

Josh

idealhobbies
11-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Groundrushesup beat me to it. I was going to suggest the same thing. With what you said, I would suspect BEC shut down. The bad thing about some crashes is that we just can't figure out the cause if it's something in the electrical system. You said that you were lining up for final, so if it were me, I'd look at the BEC or what we experienced in my next paragraph.

Last week, Newjak a I were flying at out local park. It was about 10am about 45 degrees and rising quickly under a bright sun, and we had some very turbulent air at low levels. The wind was at about 5, but what we were experiencing was not wind. What was happening was that the planes were getting knocked all over the place. Newjaks F22 took a sudden bank to the right when he was on final approach, but his input turns were to the left. Newjaks plane ended up stalling out due to the sharp turn to the right and ended up planting in Newjaks favorite landing tree. I was on final for 1 landing and could not bring her down (T28). As soon as I got at about 10 feet, it rose. With the air acting so strange, I tried to ease it down. The plane ended up flying (gliding really) about 150 feet with NO throttle before I was able to get her down. Before packing it up, we had several near crashes because the wings would dip suddenly (at crusing speed), sudden severe nose dips, and severe wing rock when we would get over certain spots over the field.

My theory on what was happening:
When we got out to the field, there was a light frost on the ground and the temp was in the high 30's that morning. The sun came up, and the air was warming very quickly. By noon, the temp was in the low 60's. What I think was happening was that the sun was evaporating the dew from the ground at a rapid rate causing a serious up lift in the air. We were basically encountering thermals at low altitude causing drastic changes in the flight. This is not the first time that we experienced this situation. Last spring I was flying directly behind Newjak when suddenly both of our planes tails pointed straight up in the air. Newjak was able to pull out of it, inches from the ground, but I was not and went straight into the ground nose first. We threorized that we hit a small thermal and the tails took the brunt of it and were pushed upward.

Is it possible since your crash was so early in the morning that you experienced what occured to us?

Fly Time
11-08-2008, 04:46 PM
The Gee Bee does have a big wide wing that doesn't handle shifting air current, be it up, down or sideways, very well. The worst incident I ever had was on landing in just mildly gusty winds. I was making a straight in final approach, and at about 5 feet off the ground a wing tip dropped and I couldn't get it level again before the whole plane stalled and cartwheeled over on its back. I was lucky it happened so low because the only damage was a broken motor mount.

Leadchucker
11-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune with the Model Y.
Florence would have it no other way than for you to rebuild and get 'er in the air again.

http://www.info.co.clay.mn.us/history/flomhsdetail.JPG

Capt Easy
11-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks Leadchucker....she's sounds like my kind of gal.
I'm away form home at the moment but should return this evening. I plan on doing a systems check tonight of tomorrow and see what it turns up. I'll hook everything up and try to note any abnormalities if I can in the BEC or anything else. Based on what has been suggested it's possible the wind could have played a part here too. It had been very cool the night before and the temp was still low but warming rapidly that morning. I'd never seen the plane react the way it did is all I know. It wasn't exceptionally windy but something wasn't normal.
Thanks for all your interest and help.