PDA

View Full Version : Thincam?

Idaho
01-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Wondering if anyone has tried the Oregon Scientific Thincam. Comes in 1.3 mp, or higher versions. Very light (40 gm for 1.3 mp version) and compact (8.6 x 5.4 x 0.8 cm - credit card size), inexpensive on EBAY.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oregon-Scientific-ThinCam-DS6628-1-3-Megapixel_W0QQitemZ7583982643QQcategoryZ48544QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

k-vette
01-27-2006, 10:37 PM
There's another thincam on ebay advertised as 3 megapixels, and the price is about the same. I haven't tried either, but the price is right. (cheap):rolleyes:

zappedalaskan
01-27-2006, 10:48 PM
One of you guys buy one and let us know how it works! :)
Jay
Hey Idaho My father in law lives in Coeur D'Alene. I am from Lewiston..

k-vette
01-28-2006, 12:01 AM
I plan on it, just have to win one of these ebay auctions.;) I'm looking for a cheap camera to put on my slowstick, and this one should work.

zappedalaskan
01-28-2006, 12:35 AM
K-Vette,
Please let us know how it works if you get it. I am curious..
Thank's,
Jay

k-vette
01-28-2006, 01:10 AM
Just got it, I bid within the last 10-15 seconds and it jumped up to my maximum bid. (from $18 up to $31) Lucky timing. Plus shipping equals $40. Pretty good deal when you consider it takes 3 MP pics, and video. I looked around and the cheapest "store" to buy from was around $90.

zappedalaskan
01-28-2006, 01:19 AM
Thats a great deal! I hope it works well for you. Please post your findings on it. Almost half price, thats great :)
Take care,
Jay

Idaho
01-28-2006, 05:13 AM
Jay - hello to an Idahodian :) I think the Californian immigrants outnumber the natives now.
I'm an immigrant from the opposite direction. I grew up in Fort St John on the Alaska Highway (northern BC). My guess is you've driven right by the acreage I grew up on as I see you're in Alaska.

K vette - so you're the one who dive-bombed the auction! Kidding, I didn't bid but I did see it go. Please give us a report. Looks like there's lots available.
I'd like to see a picture of it on a plane.
I have to learn to fly my slow stick before putting a camera on. Just waiting for a calm day, maybe tomorrow to maiden it.
I may be silly starting out with a nice big lipo battery (2430 Apogee), hope I don't destroy it.

Arlie

k-vette
01-28-2006, 05:31 AM
Apparently I wasn't the only one who dived in at the last second, because the price jumped. I'm hoping it gets here in the time to enter into the wattflyer AP contest, I'll surely get pics up sometime. I have to figure out how to mount the thing now.:eek: I've got some ideas that should work though. The slow stick is a great plane to learn on, and you should get some long flight times with that battery.

Idaho
02-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Waiting for thincam report. :)

zappedalaskan
02-04-2006, 02:33 AM
I have been through Fort St. John many times. I have been up and down the AK highway quite a few times. It is nice there. I like Canada particularly BC. Thousands of lakes full of big trout. I know the last time I was down in Idaho the population had doubled. I couldn't believe it.
I am curious how the thin cam worked out for K-vette too. There is one called a blip cam that a lot of folks use. It is made for rc, Plugs right into your reciever. Here is the web site: www.blip.com.au/ (http://www.blip.com.au/) I just talked to my father-in-law on the phone a couple hours ago, he said it was warm and sunny there today. It is 30 below zero here today..
Take care,
Jay

k-vette
02-04-2006, 05:15 AM
The camera was shipped but hasn't shown up yet.:( I'll post here when it comes. The weather is bad right now anyways, but it's supposed to be good all next week, so I'll try and get the plane setup with pics.

Idaho
02-04-2006, 08:08 AM
I'll be watching for the thincam report.

Jay, you are also familiar with Dawson Creek then, the mile zero city, and my wife's home town.
I get the shivers just thinking about the weather up there. I used to work on DC-3s outside sometimes at 40 below, often with a wind howling at the Ft St John airport. The lowest recorded temp while I was there was minus 72 F (not including wind chill). The weather was part of what drove me to change careers.
Most of the fish we caught were northern pike. We called em jacks or swamp snakes.

Rittenflyer
02-04-2006, 03:46 PM
I sniped one of these on Ebay for $20.80 including shipping, just waiting for delivery. I plan to mount it on a cheap foam glider that I converted to electric rc. This plane is stable like a trainer, will slow down pretty good, and has a 54 inch span so it will carry the extra weight no problem. I'll post my opinion of the camera once it arrives, which might be today. I agree with the others that this looks like a good, cheap option.

Idaho
02-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Nice snipe job! I'd love to see a picture of your installation and some aerial shots. Myself, I haven't learned how to upload stuff yet but will after I hone my piloting skills then advance to AP.

Rittenflyer
02-05-2006, 05:41 AM
My Thin Cam arrived today and I'm pretty happy. It really is small, thin and light; 1.45 oz. with the flash removed. The high res pictures are pretty good for the money, not as good as my 5.3 megapixel camera to be sure, but much better than the terrible Bell and Howell keychain camera (I lost on that experiment, but not much). The interface through your computer is simple and effective and charging is through the same USB cable that downloads the pics. I have a plane ready to receive the cam, I just need to work out the shutter actuator and mount the cam. I'll keep everyone posted.

SR

Idaho
02-06-2006, 05:46 AM
That's decent, especially the weight. Not sure how that compares to the Aiptek pencams but I think it's close. Is yours 1.3 or 3 mp?
Looking forward to pics.

TeslaWinger
02-06-2006, 04:08 PM
By all means go with the 3 megapixels if you want to just buy ONE and have the pictures look GOOD! There's a lot of kludge out there. Chose wisely! :D!

IDAHO- Your career change is perfectly understandable! Why live where you need to sleep with your motor oil to keep it from solidifying? Sounds like a '3 dog night' EVERYNIGHT! That's more like the average temperature on MARS!

Stay warm, live long!
TW

zappedalaskan
02-06-2006, 04:52 PM
TW,
It is funny that you said that, because I am a heavy equipment mechanic for Caterpiller. On several occasions I have been flown out to remote mines to work. And that is exactly what you do. You taxi up, chaulk the wheels and by the time you cover the wings so they don't ice up and tie it to the ground, the engine has cooled enough and you drop the oil into a can and bring it inside. When you go to leave, you drop it right back in and fire it up. Without doing this, you might be there a while using other means to warm the engine up enough to roll over. I'm sure Arlie knows what I am talking about :) Automotives have circulating heating systems and you just put heaters to heat your coolant, keeping the vehicle warm. But bush planes are free-air cooled and there is really no way to keep them warm when it is cold. Yhe Yukon is much the same as here weather wise in the winter. I live 80 miles south of the arctic circle. It gets a little chilly :)
Take care,
Jay

Idaho
02-06-2006, 09:48 PM
TW - Sleeping with the motor oil - LOL - sounds like a movie title (B grade) I know exactly what that's all about. It's not very snuggly. :)

Jay - gotta respect anyone who's doing your kind of work up there.
I also was in logging - owned a Clark triple 6 skidder with my brother, lived in an old school bus wherever the work was, me taking the night shifts, never shut the machine off. Tiger torches or do the oil trick when we did have to shut down as we never had power to run any circulating heater. Those were the days.

k-vette
02-09-2006, 08:24 PM
I finally got my 3mp thincam and hooked it up yesterday. The slow stick with a 400xt hauled it up just fine. For easy installation I just used double sided tape and stuck the camera on the fuse above the battery. It only took a little notch out of the bottom of the wing for it to fit. Unfortunately my computer is having problems at home, but I'll try and get pics uploaded. So far I like the quality of the pictures, my first few came out very clear. The video is choppy, but I expected that.:)

Idaho
02-09-2006, 10:35 PM
That's great. I don't see much out there with 3mp, under 2oz and under $50. I think I'll try to snipe one off EBAY too.

twinturbostang
02-18-2006, 01:28 AM
k-vette: Did you get any pictures uploaded yet? I'm interested in seeing the quality of the thincam.

k-vette
02-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Uploading...I think it worked.:D The bottom picture is tilted a bit, but that's pilot error. I had the slowstick up as far as I could for some of the pictures I'm getting. I don't think I could see it much past this.
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/9523/picture1386ef.th.jpg (http://img104.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1386ef.jpg)
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5286/picture1399ld.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1399ld.jpg)

twinturbostang
02-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Cool. Looks pretty good. What was the native resolution of the pics? I'm assuming that either you, or the message forum resized the pics to smaller a smaller size.

ForestCam
02-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Here's a question to those that have them, how hard does it look like it would be to strip the camera down to the bare bones?

I'd think that if it charges off the USB that it would also power off the USB so you could possibly remove the batteries as well.

k-vette
02-26-2006, 02:53 AM
The pics were originally 600 something by... somethin' else. Close to the size they are when you click on the thumbnail. I don't know about stripping the camera down. Mine runs off two double AA's. Are the other versions of this camera different?

Idaho
03-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey those pics look decent. Looks like fun. Now you have a spy plane.
If it's not much bother I'd be interested to see a pic of it on your SS.

Re the stripping, I know others have powered their cameras off the receiver using a spare servo output. I don't think you'd save a bunch with stripping the case off and you'd have all the electronics exposed to damage/shorts etc.