PDA

View Full Version : changing reciever crystals:

jim
01-27-2006, 09:26 PM
I have a Hitech reciever in my chopper but I just bought a new JR radio on a different frequency. Do I have to get a Hitech crystal or is there a generic?
Jim

rcers
01-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Hitec crystals for Hitec receivers is really the only way to go, why risk a plane on a substitute?

One other thing Is the receiver positive shift? It needs to be for JR.

Mike

rcboatnut
01-27-2006, 09:47 PM
unless the Hitec receiver has a shift sellect it won't work with a JR radio. and you should always use the manufactures crystals with there radio gear.

jim
01-27-2006, 10:30 PM
This reciever was in use with my older JR radio. My radio started going spastic. I went through several different recievers and gave up(different model) I just bought this Jr at a local hobby shop. I think the Hitech is mail order only right? It would have been more convenient to go back for a rx crystal.
Jim

jim
01-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Duh I could put the old tx crystal in the new tx and use the same old channel huh?
Sometimes things are too easy. I look for the hard way!
Jim

rcers
01-28-2006, 02:02 AM
Jim Hitec is not mail-order only they are a very large manufacturer.

JR equipment is Positive shift and Hitec makes receivers for both Positive (JR and Airtronics) and Negative (hitec and Futaba).

You should not change crystals in the Transmitter, in fact that violates FCC rules here in the US. You should and can change the crystal in the receiver.

Buy a Hitec crystal that matches the channel of your new JR transmitter.

What Hitec receiver do you have?

Mike

Twmaster
01-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Just a note to add to this discussion. Hitec also makes RXs that will automagically work with either shift. (does that make it shiftless? :p)

IIRC the model number is Micro 05S.

Twmaster
01-28-2006, 02:25 AM
Duh I could put the old tx crystal in the new tx and use the same old channel huh?
Sometimes things are too easy. I look for the hard way!

That should work as long as you are using the same type of receiver. (ie. putting a crystal from a single conversion RX back into a single conversion RX)

jim
01-29-2006, 03:10 AM
Mike,
Sure enough my local hobby shop has Hitech stuff but not my channel rx crystals for now. Moving the JR rx from mx400 to raptor and a cheaper JR sport rx into the mx400.(I was previously worried it would not stand up to the RF noise I believe I've been fighting on the mx400. 1 battery thru today no trouble.
Thanks, Jim