PDA

View Full Version : Not really a crash, put it still hurt

Daylight99
11-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Well, I was reminded this morning that just because its electric that doesn't mean the prop still can't inflict damage like a gasser. FW 190 with a 4020-10 800w motor & 14X7X3 prop vs my left leg. Needless to say that the plane is fine but my leg will not be the same for sometime to come :eek:. I will spare you the details, lets just say that the FW 190 is not called the "Butcher Bird" for nothing.

When testing your models no matter the size always remember safety above all else. I forgot this rule thinking that what I was going to do could not possibly be a problem or get out of control, man was I wrong. :( :o

Bob Russell
Fontana, Ca

Manta1
11-14-2008, 09:22 AM
sorry to hear of your accident.hope all heals well...stuff hppens in this hobbby.i have a nastly little scar on the underside of my wrist from prop fight with ssx...ssx won.i think the scar is there to stay.needed stitches,got new skin glue

Don Sims
11-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your incident. Lectrics can bite and bite hard!

stevecooper
11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Daylight99 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=19574):Thanks for remind'in us how we need to not let our guard-down, A 450-480 outie is a 19-25 gasser, OUCH !!!!bub, steve

WingingIt74
11-14-2008, 04:11 PM
My old gasser got my forearm pretty good back in the 90s. Who knew that you don't reach around the front of the prop to adjust the needle valve "DOH!" Never could get that plane off the ground. I ended up trading it and years later got it back on a trade. Got it up and crashed it, got a 10 second flight ;) Fixed it the best I could and ebayed it. Didn't touch another RC aircraft till a buddy of mine got a HobbyZone orange v-tail. He and I flew it quite a bit. I got caught by a wind gust and it flipped it on it's side and with that plane it had no down push on the tail, ended up cork screwing it in and broke it. I later got a gas heli from my cousin. Couldn't find parts for it so I sold it and bought my first BCP. Later I bought my Slo-V after flying my buddy's Slo-V. Bought a 2nd BCP and fixed it up to give to my cousin, but then ended up buying a BCPP for myself. Sold the second BCP and gave my cousin my first BCP that had a few nice mods.

Sorry.... got carried away.....

Daylight99
11-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys,

I remember the old days of control-line flying back in the 70's and those little Cox 049 motors could really put a hurt on your fingers and it seemed like I always had a bandaid on a finger or two.

If this was a large gas motor, after making a few wacks at my leg it would have more than likely stalled out and stopped. Electric motors won't do that, they just keep spinning till they hit something hard that they can't cut through. In that regard a gasser may be a little safer.

Here's a photo of my attacker.

WingingIt74
11-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Ya I bet that hurt. I still have the scar from my gasser. Made the flesh look like yellow and purple hamburger. Never really did bleed till an hour or so later, but not bad.

That same gasser nicked my thumb, but that was a different time. Glad to have gotten rid of that meat grinder.