PDA

View Full Version : can a sim teach u enough

part-time
08-10-2005, 03:31 PM
my ? is can a sim(FMS) teach me enough to learn to fly on my own? i ordered a megatech freedomflyer and due 2 my work schedule i cant b instucted locally. so im hoping that this will b enough. im not new 2 rc but i have neve flown a plane b4. also which plane would b the closest on the FMS sim 2 use compared 2 mine? thx

Foamaholic
08-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Not familiar with the Freedom Flyer but it looks like a pretty fast plane for a first plane. That said, FMS might be able to teach you enough to be able to fly it. I have taught a couple people who practiced on a simulator first and they had little trouble learning. The real thing is different though and that can be confusing. Practice and practice until you are not confused when the plane is coming toward you, and practice and practice landings. Plan where you are going to fly the plane, i.e. circles, figure eights or whatever and stick to that pattern.

I would really consider a slower, larger plane for your first. There are many, but the GWS Slow Stick is ideal. The GWS Beaver is also good. These planes fly so slow that you have a good chance of keeping up with them, therefore, a better chance of success.
Whatever you do, don't get discouraged by setbacks, everyones has them. Be determined to fly no matter what and you will be successful.

EpoweredRc
08-10-2005, 03:55 PM
my ? is can a sim(FMS) teach me enough to learn to fly on my own? i ordered a megatech freedomflyer and due 2 my work schedule i cant b instucted locally. so im hoping that this will b enough. im not new 2 rc but i have neve flown a plane b4. also which plane would b the closest on the FMS sim 2 use compared 2 mine? thx

Hello there,I run FMS also and well while its not that realistic it is good help for someone new like yourself.you will be able to learn how to take off and land and fly around and what the controls do and all.pratice untill you are sick of doing so,that way you know you have the hang of it.Im not really sure what plane is best.if you get the cd with all the planes then I like the big egde looking planes they have a usa flag one and a yellow and blue one I enjoy flying them but also any high wing plane onit should be good for you I think they have a katet on it thats a good first plane.good luck.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I would have to agree with the above posts.FMS will teach you the basics of RC flight. It would certainly be easier to learn if you had someone with you that knows how to fly on your first few attempts, but I don't think it would be manditory. Just remember that no amount of SIM time will match the real thing. You will eventually crash but that is part of the hobby and something you need to accept.

I would agree with the first poster though, in that you may want to try your first couple of flights with a slow stick before trying the plane you have now.

part-time
08-10-2005, 04:57 PM
the main reason i went with that plane was the cost $113 complete and my lhs could get parts for it. and i figured that if i crashed it beyond repair it would not hurt that much.it uses 8.4v packs should i start out with 7.2v ones first would that help some also ?

Foamaholic
08-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Might as well start with the 8.4. You want to know you have enough power to climb well without stalling, and the extra power can get you out of trouble. Climb to 100 feet or so then throttle back some to slow the plane down and give you more time to figure out what's going on, then trim the plane for straight and level flight at the lower power setting. If the plane turns when you let go of the stick then move the trim lever the opposite way, i.e. if it turns right then move the trim lever to the left. If it climbs then move the lever forward (away from you), etc.
Since you are getting this plane, try it, you might do fine. If it doesn't work out the Slow Stick is very inexpensive, like $26, and you could move your equipment over to it.
Like Reformed Nitroaddict said, try to get help for the first flights from someone who already flies. It can save a whole lot of grief. (member.php?u=11)

flypaper 2
08-10-2005, 05:31 PM
First thing in learning to fly and is the hardest to get used to is that the controls are reversed when it's coming towards you. Sim will save a lot of planes in thet respect. Also co-ordinating ail. and elevator in a turn to keep the altitude the same. If you can learn these two things without thinking of which way the sticks have to go, makes learning the real thing a lot easier. I teach flying and these are the main obstacles.

aeropal
08-10-2005, 07:09 PM
which plane would b the closest on the FMS sim 2 use compared 2 mine?
Super Aviator (http://home.comcast.net/~scarzvanetten/fms.htm)

Just curious, does the transmitter that came with your Freedom Flyer RTF (http://www.megatech.com/product_detail_aircraft.php?ID=9941) have a trainer cord port . . others have said their Freedom Flyer 27MHz transmitters did not? Is yours on 27 or 72MHz? Thanks

part-time
08-11-2005, 02:04 PM
i just got mine today and no it does not have the trainer pluig and its 27mhz im not very happy i thought it had one

degz
08-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know about an airplane called wing dragon? I just bought one but I havent flown it yet due to the weather here. Its rainy season here in the Philippines. What FMS model should I practice that has a similar flight characteristics as wing dragon.

aeropal
08-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Wing Dragon (http://www.geocities.com/rizkyssetio/FMS/fms.htm) model file for FMS - related post (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3857605&postcount=61)

SargentM
08-17-2005, 11:25 AM
FMS will only take you so far, I recently made the jump from FMS Alpha 8.5 to aerofly professional deluxe. I probably spend too much time on the damn thing but I surprise myself everytime I fly with the ease that manouvers come to me and how much more RELAXED I am during the whole show. Gone is the grimace of concentration and fear in the back of my mind that something will go wrong.

So yeah, sims are all good. But back that sim time up with at least half as much real flying, just to keep in tune with whats REALLY going on.

If you want to stick with FMS I recommend downloading the latest Alpha version, it has post stall physics implemented which is a big leap as far as FMS is concerned.

biker_ray_pa
08-27-2005, 05:52 PM
I decided last year that I wanted to learn to fly, and bought the Dave Brown RCFS 2001 sim. When I started learning the real thing this year, it made it a breeze. Highly recommended!

degz
08-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks aeropal, Ive been practicing with fms with your recomended model. I just made my first flight yesterday and it was great!!! A hand launch and 10 min in air and landed on both wheels just like i practiced on FMS. The only difference I noticed is that FMS is a bit faster than the real thing. Which is better, it made me respond faster on the real thing.
It realy does pay to practiced on the sim, Imagine crashing your model trying to land for the first time. It saves a lot of heartache and money.

Geoff_Gino
08-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi Guys

Couldn't agree more. Bought G3 and flew the P51 Mustang on it untill I got sick and tired of circuits and bumps. Went solo after 3 weeks of instruction and promptly sold the G3 to avoid getting into nasty habits such as just pushing the reset button instead of digging into my pocket for a stupid mistake.
Did teach me to fly though.

Geoff

Old_Dog
09-01-2005, 04:38 AM
One of the most difficult things for me as an intermediate pilot is trimming a new plane. I try to find a slope where I can toss my model power off and where it'll land in tall grass because I KNOW it won't fly true right off the workbench. Once it'll fly straight "hands off" I am more confident I can handle flying it under power. Just a suggestion.