PDA

View Full Version : Superstar Ep w\ailerons

Stig atle steffensen
01-28-2006, 08:59 PM
I've been making this one now for the past 2 days, and i wonder if i should try it tomorrow.
but is it a easy plane to fly?
I've been flying much with my el.glider (Protech airblade), and my Protech fokker E plane, and it's good to finally have some "real" equipment, with the plane i bought futuba radio system, with servos and all, and then the plane.
It costed alot, but it's worth it i think, because now i can move all the parts over to other planes, wich i could not to with the earlier planes i've had..

meatball
01-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Its a very fun plane to fly, I havent tried the Superstar EP, but rather the gas variant with an OS .40 LA. It does very nicely and has good flight characteristics, stall speed is very low and tip stall's are extremely hard to induce. It does basic aerobatics very accurately.. If the motor that came with it powers it adequately (most often times they dont) then it should have plenty of power, though not vertical. If you have flown other planes, this one is a breeze to fly, and is very forgiving. It will go faster and land faster of course then your other planes, but you'll get used to it.

Good luck on the maiden.

-meat

jb48
01-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Stig, I flew my Superstar EP with ailerons for the first time last week. Wonderfull plane for a beginner like me. I actually fly on skis, main and tailskid ski, replacing the tailwheel mod I already did. Flying from snowy runway (actually a deserted road), I had lot of trouble with the prop chewing snow like a snowblower. Replaced the original landing gear with the one from an Alpha trainer .40 I had. Very wide stance and sturdy landing gear made for a 5 to 6 pounds model! Didn`t try it with this mod yet, but I can tell you that my first flight with the Superstar (it took maybe 10 tries to take off with the snowy conditions) was a real joy. Ailerons are especially sweet and actually I find it much easier to fly with ailerons than with rudder. A very nice plane. Now, the dark side of this all is the short flying time with the original 7 cell sc 2100 mAh battery: 5 minutes with no more than 1 minute full throttle. I already made place (removing the balsa piece blocking the battery near the firewall and replacing it with a piece of popsicle tick epoxied on the outside middle of the firewall) for a 3300 mAh, or better than that buy a lipo friendly esc and hit the ticket for lipo. Anyway, even in stock form, this plane pleases me a lot.

azkeith
01-29-2006, 05:42 AM
Stig: I have a SS/EP for an ailerson trainer for myself. If flew with the nimh/brush set up from the factory, but in a nervous weak way. So I re-powered it with a brushless motor, Castle phx 45 ESC, 2ea 3 cell1800 lopos packs in parallel. Now it realy flies in the comfort zone. Before with the stock setup seemed like it was on the edge of a stall all the time.
I am sure I will now love this plane.
Best to you.

Stig atle steffensen
01-29-2006, 09:37 AM
thank you all for these positive answers, i wont fly it today, i want to fix my sailplane first, and fly with that for some more time ( because the sailplane goes much faster then the fokker e i fly now).

I have a huge field outside my house, wich i fly on, but it's bumpy, so i guess i have to handlaunch the Superstar, has anyone of you done that?

Jb48: could you post a picture of your setup with the skis? i really liked that idea, and since it's winter here, it would be a nice mod to do :)

jb48
01-29-2006, 11:41 AM
I`ll try to post a pic

jb48
01-29-2006, 12:39 PM
I tried to post pics without success, a message from the upload function telling that my pic is/are 537.3 kb. I don`t know how to resize pic or/and convert hem to less kb weight???

meatball
01-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey Jb8, I think something is wrong with that battery, if the superstar E version comes with a size 600 engine, on a 2100 mAH battery, it should last a lot longer then 5 minutes full throttle. I run 3000 mAH batteries on a speed 600 and it lasts about 10-12 minutes on full throttle.

Don Sims
01-29-2006, 03:06 PM
I tried to post pics without success, a message from the upload function telling that my pic is/are 537.3 kb. I don`t know how to resize pic or/and convert hem to less kb weight???

http://www.irfanview.com/ is an easy to use free photo editor. I post 480x640 with no issues here.

Stig atle steffensen
01-29-2006, 03:06 PM
that's good meatball, because i started to wonder :)

jb48: just send them on mail to : stigatle.steffensen@losmail.no
i can fix it for you, and link them.
or you can just resize them a little.

jb48
01-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Look at the maths: the 600 motor run at wot 25 Amps / 168 Watts /6.64 Volts / 8000-8600 rpm. That is for the 100% original set-up. Now, the batt is 2100 mAh but full throttle drains 25 000 mAh! So, 2. Amp/25 Amp=0.084 time 60 min=5.04 min. Admitedly, the battery cannot hold 25 Amps for the full duration, the voltage going down rather quickly. That is static test and in real flight I never operate the Superstar full throttle all the time. I like to glide and slow fly, so I get maybe 8 minutes on a battery charge.

jb48
01-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Another try to send a pic

jb48
01-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Yeah! It worked. Thank you Don for Irfan link. I downloaded the free program and finally managed to resize a pic.

jb48
01-29-2006, 05:35 PM
As you can see, my second model is a Slo-V, also flown on skis. Eh, it`s winter here.

Stig atle steffensen
01-29-2006, 06:09 PM
thanks for the images :) looks good!
i think i'll try to make something like this on mine too.

How long have you been flying?
did you fly slowflyers, and then went to the Superstar ep?

jb48
01-29-2006, 07:34 PM
I flew rc model for the first time last August. Bought a Hangar 9 Alpha trainer .40 glow, flew it 10 times on a buddy cord with instructors, got disgusted with the slime covering the plane after each flight, sold the airframe, kept the tx, rx, servos and landing gear for future projects. Bought a Slo-V to learn by myself, broke it and repaired it routinely, bought the Superstar to be able to fly when there is some wind (Slo-V is a beast in any wind) and also to practice flying with ailerons, wich I find more easy than with rudder. So, from August to now, my flying experience (rc) is: 10 flights on the Alpha, about 30 flights with the Slo-V and 6 flights with the Superstar. I flew Cessnas, Pipers, sailplanes, built an Evans VP2 (Volksplane) and owned an Ercoupe 415 D in the 80`s but became grounded for lost of medical fitness. Curiously, and I really cannot explain why, I feel more confortable flying the Superstar than the Slo-V. Very weird! And I can tell you that having flown full scale model didn`t help with rc, except maybe for a better understanding of aerodynamics like banking, stalls, and so on. I still have to think hard when model is flying toward me.

jb48
01-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Why not share your first Superstar flight experience with all of us Stig?

Stig atle steffensen
01-30-2006, 07:08 PM
hehe, i sure will, i was out today, with my superstar ep, and i was at the field, thinking about if i should try it or not, and i desided to do so, and i went to the middle of the field, and since it's snow, i had to hand launch it.

so there i was, with my superstar ep, i was a nervous wreck, kinda like when i do something so scary that you dont think you will manage to do it, when it ticles in your stumach and feet :)

i then set the speed to full, and threw it straight ahead, it did fly straight as an arrow, and started to rise, then i touched the Aileron and it turned too much and hit the ground almost nose first.

I broke the prop, but that's fixed now, i also broke a little piece of the front because the engine got presses backwards into the plane, but that's no problem either.

so, i will give it a go tomorrow, and i've learned a valuable lesson, wich is to get it high first, dont mess with it untill i am at a Recovery-secure height..

meatball
01-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Well using a 2100 mAH battery at 25 Amps is a little over 10C. Doesnt a 10C discharge make it drain in 10 minutes? I forget where I got this insinuation but can you point out where I messed up? I recall reading that a battery at 20C should discharge in 3 minutes, 25 Amps is not 20C.

jb48
01-31-2006, 02:37 PM
If you divide 60 minutes (1 hour) by 10C, you get six minutes, not 10. On a 20C discharge, you cut the time in half. But the 2100 7 cell nicad cannot discharge at 25 amps for more than 20 t0 30 seconds, after which the voltage drops too much, just as the watts and amps, till the BEC cut the juice to the motor to avoid complete depletion of the battery. After a short period of full throttle, reduce the power for at least an equal time of wot time and the battery seems to recover its power for another short period of wot (wide open throttle) and so on for 6 to 8 minutes (variable of course).

jb48
01-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Thank you Stig for sharing with us your experience with that lovely Superstar. I confess that till now I am too chicken to try a handlaunch, especially because my Superstar became overweight at 54.6 oz (add a working tailwheel, a big landing gear, skis, and you have to add dead weight (2 oz on mine) in the nose, but it flies from hard packed icy snow in about a 50 foot run. Last flight I made, I tried power-off stalls and the plane recovered from them quite well (do that at least 50 ft high and be prepared to give full power followed by gradual up elevator...it does it just like a Cessna 150 does! I also broke the 9 X 5.5 original prop and replaced it with an APC 9 x 4.5: less speed but more thrust it seems, but I have to make static test with my Astro Whatt meter before confirming that impression. By the way, ailerons on the Superstar are quite effective without being twitchy. Now, if the wind and snow here can stop, I`ll fly again my Superstar, maybe trying an APC 9 X 6 I have in my parts box. Good luck Stig and enjoy the flights.

Bob Gilmore
01-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Hi All,

I've flown my SSEP for over a year. I don't have ailerons but I can tell you the stock battery is CRAP. Hobbico knows this:mad: . A simple change in cells makes a world of difference.
I have flown her with the stock motor, a Speed 600, the stock motor/gearbox from a Supersportster, and now a Magnetic Mayhem/gearbox combo.
I've hand launched her. The key is a solid flat toss. She just flys out of my hand! She is a sweet flyer and very durable.
Look around as there are a few threads going on here and rcgroups about this plane.
Good luck!

Cheers,
Bob

Rugar
01-31-2006, 04:17 PM
i then set the speed to full, and threw it straight ahead, it did fly straight as an arrow, and started to rise, then i touched the Aileron and it turned too much and hit the ground almost nose first.

I broke the prop, but that's fixed now, i also broke a little piece of the front because the engine got presses backwards into the plane, but that's no problem either.

so, i will give it a go tomorrow, and i've learned a valuable lesson, wich is to get it high first, dont mess with it untill i am at a Recovery-secure height..

Do you have any Expo dialed in to make the controls less sensitive?

Stig atle steffensen
01-31-2006, 04:45 PM
"Expo dialed in to make the contr...."
what do you mean? could you explain please?

Steely Dan fan
02-01-2006, 02:47 AM
I learned to fly this last summer with a Superstar EP. Tough bird, as I crashed it quite a few times, a few severely. My instructor thought it was a bit underpowered, especially for takeoffs from our club's rough grass strip. We hopped it up with a Jeti Phasor 30-3 Brushless Motor and LiPo power, along with bigger wheels and a tailwheel. The added power really helps, especially on take off, in strong winds, and getting out of bad situations.

meatball
02-01-2006, 09:29 PM
"Expo dialed in to make the contr...."
what do you mean? could you explain please?

Expo is a mixing option for computer radio's. It means basically that when you add in expo (you can determine how much you want) then the control around the center of the stick is very very little, while full stick is a lot compared to stick around the center (small corrections).

Its called expo, because as you push the stick from the center, the rate of deflection exponentially increases until full deflection is reached (exponential means that the increase in a variable increases at an increasing rate).

In effect it makes 3D airplanes very easy to fly circles and landing, but when you put full stick on, they yank and bank.

Stig atle steffensen
02-02-2006, 10:15 AM
thank you for the explanation :)

but sadly i crashed the plane yesterday, i need a new motor for it, and i need to glue a little.

What i did now, was to buy one of those foam-planes, with ailerons, so that i can practice some more untill i go fly the superstar ep again.

I fly my sailplane without crashing at all, and i do loops etc.
same with my Fokker E plane (slowflyer), but then with superstar Ep i get into trouble, but i will get back to it later this month, when i get my salary :)

azkeith
02-02-2006, 12:17 PM
thank you for the explanation :)

but sadly i crashed the plane yesterday, i need a new motor for it, and i need to glue a little.

What i did now, was to buy one of those foam-planes, with ailerons, so that i can practice some more untill i go fly the superstar ep again.

I fly my sailplane without crashing at all, and i do loops etc.
same with my Fokker E plane (slowflyer), but then with superstar Ep i get into trouble, but i will get back to it later this month, when i get my salary :)

Stig; Sorry to hear of your crash, dont give up on the SSEP, it is a well behaved plane. I am using it for aileron trainer, yesterday was my first total solo flight. Me and the plane did well. The new brushless motor and 3 cell lipos make it a plane that is comfoirtable to fly. The stock setup is underpowered and nervous to fly even for the instructor.
Happy flying.

jb48
02-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Do you lost control on take-off, while flying or on landing? You know, I crashed my Slo-V so many times that I stopped counting but still flying it. I crashed my Superstar twice on landing, repaired and still happy to fly it. I think that the more you fly, the less you crash after certain step in the learning process. That is a great hobby, costly but great!

azkeith
02-02-2006, 12:32 PM
jb- yep the learning curve is costly but much fun & some frustration and worth the money.
Keith

azkeith
02-02-2006, 12:35 PM
jb; yes the learning curve is costly but fun & worth the money.
Keith

jb48
02-02-2006, 03:27 PM
The big thing is how to make wife understanding an old man playing with costly «child`s toy»! Have to hide many parts and equipment to stop her asking about cost of new deliveries! Maybe she will get used to.......

jb48
02-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, more seriously I now apply what I read on another thread and found it makes sense: plan what maneuvers you`ll do before each flight and stick to that. It works much better than flying around and letting the plane deciding for you. Examples: last time I went at the rc field, I planned to experiment power off stalls. Did that many times and landed. Charged my only batt (a better one is in the Fedex hands), decided that my next flight will consist in practicing off throttle and low throttle approaches, landed and so on. It works for me and learns me to control the plane in doing what I want, being not distracted by what to do next. I think that it is a good learning curve program.

Steely Dan fan
02-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Stig; Sorry to hear of your crash, dont give up on the SSEP, it is a well behaved plane. I am using it for aileron trainer, yesterday was my first total solo flight. Me and the plane did well. The new brushless motor and 3 cell lipos make it a plane that is comfoirtable to fly. The stock setup is underpowered and nervous to fly even for the instructor.
Happy flying.

Agree. Stig, I highly recommend the Jeti Phasor 30-3. Its about the same size as the brushed engine that comes with the SS EP, so you can pretty much just swap it out. With the Jeti, an appropriate ESC (make sure you get one for brushless), and a couple of LiPo's, it really really makes it a great plane. I think I got most of my stuff for the upgrade from dymond: http://www.rc-dymond.com/

I basically followed the upgrade outlined in this rcuniverse article:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=577

This is nice, because he gives you a basic step by step on the upgrades!

A poster on RC groups used the following set up, but said that it was a bit too much power:

Mega 16/25/2
Castle Creation Phoenix 35
Cobri 28 4.0:1
APC-11x7
Tanic 4s 2500

Stig atle steffensen
02-25-2006, 11:55 AM
i have now bought the parts i need to get it back together, and i will start fixing it today or tomorrow, it's not much, just some gluing.

Last weekend i bought a 1.8m glider, wich i fly with the battery from the superstar Ep, and it works well, it's the same engine aswell, so i' now determined to get some flying time with my superstar EP