PDA

View Full Version : Rafale Repairs.

Angler-Hi
11-24-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm starting this thread for a friend who crashed his Rafale on the maiden flight due to the loss of orientation by accidently flying into the sun. I begged him to allow me to do the repairs, so to take the stress and aggrevation off of him. This way he can see how the repairs are coming as I post the pics of all progress.

I don't wish to mention his name as I'm not sure he wants to be mentioned at this time. If so, he can chime in at any time.

I started by removing the glue that foamed up out of the cracks and seams with an Xacto knife. I then used foam safe glue to reattach some of the foam pieces. I used a craft stick as support in the cockpit area. I also used a syringe to inject light weight spackle into the areas of missing foam chunks. I used scotch tape to act as a wall until the spackle dries. Also, I went over most of the dents and scrunched up areas with spackle. When she dries, i'll sand it smooth, and reapply if necessary. I then plan on using silk from the rear of the cockpit forward. Then I'll piant her and she should be done. Here's a few pics friend:

Angler-Hi
11-24-2008, 11:41 PM
The spackle is still drying because it's so thick in those gaps. I'll get more pics tomorrow when I sand her down and spackle the low spots.

newjak
11-25-2008, 12:20 AM
I just started a similar project with a friends crashed plane. No pics yet.
I like the syringe idea. I usually sumo or gorilla glue to fill gaps and the wipe off the excess as it foams out and sand it smooth when its dry.

Angler-Hi
11-25-2008, 12:40 AM
I just started a similar project with a friends crashed plane. No pics yet.
I like the syringe idea. I usually sumo or gorilla glue to fill gaps and the wipe off the excess as it foams out and sand it smooth when its dry.

I believe that's what he tried to do with the Gorilla glue in some places. There are a few areas that are missing foam chunks. The Gorilla glue will add much more weight than the spackle. I'm using spackle to "fill in" but will be using silk to reinforce.

I tried using hot glue and other glues in my Intruder for the first two crash repairs. All damage was done to the front of the fuse, mainly the nose. All the glue made her so nose heavy that the stock powerplant wasn't capable of the sightest climb without stalling. By the time I was done with three repairs to the nose of my Intruder, she almost 6oz of glue!!

I'm repairing his plane as if it were my own. Hopefully the spackle will be ready to be sanded in the morning. I use the syringe to get deep into a spot and it allows you to fill these gaps flawlessly and very little mess.

newjak
11-25-2008, 01:14 AM
I'm not heavy handed with the GG or sumo for that reason. If it is really missing a big chunk of foam I have foam that I keep on hand to cut and fill large gaps
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg315/newjak/th_P4120073.jpg (http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg315/newjak/?action=view&current=P4120073.jpg)http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg315/newjak/th_P4130074.jpg (http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg315/newjak/?action=view&current=P4130074.jpg)http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg315/newjak/th_P4140075.jpg (http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg315/newjak/?action=view&current=P4140075.jpg)

Angler-Hi
11-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Smart!!

Angler-Hi
11-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Well I was able to sand the spackle smooth and she's looking better. I added a little more spackle to some low points (just two spots). The spackle is a very shallow amount and should be ready for sanding in at least an hour. When it's done, I'm gonna whip out the silk and cover her. Then I'll mix the paint for the perfect gray (hopefully matching the existing paint) and get her done. When I'm finished with the front I plan to start on the wing and aileron. I should have her done by today...tomorrow morning at the latest. Here's a few pics:

Angler-Hi
11-26-2008, 12:34 AM
All the spackling is finally done and the silk is on and drying now. So far, I only have the top portion of the fuse (cockpit to the nose) silked. When the top dries, I'll finish wrapping it underneath, then she'll be ready for paint.

newjak
11-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Nice work! Doesn't it feel good to rebuild a plane? Unfortunately I've had many opportunities to get that feeling.:)

Angler-Hi
11-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Nice work! Doesn't it feel good to rebuild a plane? Unfortunately I've had many opportunities to get that feeling.:)

I tell ya man...it's sad to have this much repair experience:p>

newjak
11-26-2008, 12:50 AM
True, but it takes away ALL of the fear of crashing! I think it has actually made me a better pilot. Learning from my mistakes and getting right back into the game.

Angler-Hi
11-26-2008, 12:52 AM
True, but it takes away ALL of the fear of crashing! I think it has actually made me a better pilot. Learning from my mistakes and getting right back into the game.

I agree...but it can really test your confidence. As long as I can fix em, I'm gonna keep flying:ws:

Angler-Hi
11-26-2008, 01:45 AM
The top has been silked, and I just finished wrapping it underneath. I'm waiting for it to dry, then I'll trim off the excess and get started on the paint.

GreenAce92
11-26-2008, 02:25 AM
man your obsessed with this silk stuff arent ya? what do you do with the spares? ;)
haha lol

thats nice to see you do..
reat job so far!

Angler-Hi
11-26-2008, 02:31 AM
Thanks Ace. It's actually a cheap and very strong reinforcement. Not to mention that it takes away that foam look when painted.

Another reason I like it is because when you use spackle and then try to paint over it, you can see the difference in texture (foam to spackle). It's also harder to get the paint over the spackle to match the paint over the foam. Silk gives it one good solid texture and even helps with the even color of paint.

GreenAce92
11-26-2008, 02:36 AM
sounds good, is this stuff real silk?
like you know worms make it?

Angler-Hi
11-26-2008, 02:57 AM
sounds good, is this stuff real silk?
like you know worms make it?

Yep.

Angler-Hi
11-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Well here she is with the first coat of paint on her. I'll finish painting the rest of the gray on the plane so the color is consistant. More to follow...

offtom
11-28-2008, 04:51 PM
You're becoming quite the artisan there.

Angler-Hi
11-28-2008, 04:55 PM
You're becoming quite the artisan there.

GreenAce92
11-29-2008, 05:21 AM
there geos that shoe again... lol
lookin good man

Angler-Hi
11-30-2008, 02:31 AM
there geos that shoe again... lol
lookin good man

You like that? I'll send ya a pair!:D

GreenAce92
11-30-2008, 03:01 AM
well that lookin good man was about the plane lol ;) :rolleyes: