PDA

View Full Version : GWS Zero question

Col
01-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Have rudder active on my zero.

Puzzled that it doesn't seem to do anything. Full left and right rudder = no change in flight attitude, may as well be absent.

Do others find the same?

qban_flyer
01-30-2006, 03:53 AM
If using rudder in combination with a landing gear it should allow you better ground control on the take off roll as well as positive taxiing before and after the flight.

While airborne you should be able to perform nice coordinated turns by adding yaw. Rudder input will also make it able to spin and snap roll. Can't spin or snap roll without rudder input. GWS warbirds do absolutely beautiful snaps, especially when powered by brushless otrunners.

Rudder only input will cause all GWS warbirds to slightly yaw without turning motion unless the rudder throw is in excess of 45 in each direction.:)

bennylaird
01-30-2006, 08:54 PM
I made the mistake of adding rudder and retracts to my Zero. All was well till she lost speed in a loop and snapped into a spin from which it never revovered. Will have to glue her back together one day and throw in a brushless.

qban_flyer
01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
I have a notion the extra servo and landing gear weight is what did your Zero in. Power plant will also determine how effective the control surfaces can be on these warbirds and affect their total flight characteristics as well.

I am flying mine with a Hobby Lobby Esskay 400XT brushless outrunner swinging an 8X6 APC propeller on three cell KOKAM Li-Po pack. WOT it becomes a radio controlled missile, unlimited vertical pull outs are a breeze. This GWS Zero is a ton of fun to fly. :D

BTW: Hobby Lobby has the Esskay 400XT motors on sale through tomorrow's close of business day @ $19.90 a piece. I now own a total of twelve of them. :eek:

MountainFlyer
01-31-2006, 06:42 AM
my Zero is setup pretty much the same as Qban's and like his its a bullet at WOT. i find it to be quite stable at lower speeds as well , ive never flown it with the stock motor but with the 400XT costing between $20 and $30 (depending on Hobby Lobby's sale prices) the 400XT is the best bang for the buck imo.

AUW of my Zero is 14.2 oz
motor: SK400XT
ESC: CC Tbird18
TP900 3s LiPo
no rudder or landing gear

Col
01-31-2006, 09:47 AM
I realise about lack of dihedral. I have the rudder at the recommended throw but in straight and level flight I can kick the rudder full left to full right without a twitch from the plane, just like no rudder operating at all. I expected some slight tail waggle.

I am running a brushless geared inner-runner with a claimed thrust of 600g+ on a 9x5 GWS prop. Usually cruise and flop about the sky at 1/2 throttle. No undercarriage.

Did you guys with the mega powered setups do anything to stiffen the ailerons as mine feel like a wet noodle?

Qba Flyer. That many! That sounds like hording. Should be a law against it.:)

=======================
I want less corruption or more chance to participate in it.

qban_flyer
01-31-2006, 11:54 AM
I realise about lack of dihedral. I have the rudder at the recommended throw but in straight and level flight I can kick the rudder full left to full right without a twitch from the plane, just like no rudder operating at all. I expected some slight tail waggle.

I am running a brushless geared inner-runner with a claimed thrust of 600g+ on a 9x5 GWS prop. Usually cruise and flop about the sky at 1/2 throttle. No undercarriage.

Did you guys with the mega powered setups do anything to stiffen the ailerons as mine feel like a wet noodle?

Qba Flyer. That many! That sounds like hording. Should be a law against it.:)

=======================
I want less corruption or more chance to participate in it.

HE, HE, HE, naw, it's not hoarding. I have a problem letting bargains slip by me! I think it's called "400XT Compulsive Buying Syndrome" or something like that.:)

I have had to hold myself back during this latest sale quite a few times. I almost ordered ten more at that price! So far my willpower is still holding pretty well, though there are a few more hours to go before the sale ends and anything can happen. :o

I re-did the aileron linkage on my Zero and used "real" hinges epoxied to the ailerons, rudder and elevator as well. I didn't like the "slop" the ailerons mine exhibited either.:eek:

bennylaird
02-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Was fun while it lasted...........

qban_flyer
02-01-2006, 05:23 AM
Was fun while it lasted...........

Sorry to hear of its demise. Glad you had fun with it for a bit! :o

bennylaird
02-06-2006, 02:29 AM
Another Pic

qban_flyer
02-06-2006, 04:15 AM
Another Pic

Lovely looking thing.

A Hobby Lobby Esskay 400XT (on sale currently for $19.90) powered by a KOKAM three cell Li-Po swinging an 8X6E APC propeller will make your Zero rock! :D

Col
02-06-2006, 07:15 AM
What is the max current draw with that setup?

qban_flyer
02-06-2006, 04:31 PM
What is the max current draw with that setup?

Approximately 10A with a freshly charged three cell Li-Po.

Three cell Li-Po Swinging a 9X3.8SF APC draws a bit over 10A

Two cell Li-Po swinging an 11X3.8SF APC draws under 8A

Two cell Li-Po Swinging a 10X3.8SF APC draws exactly 6A

flypaper 2
02-07-2006, 04:18 AM
Aileron torque rods were pretty flexy on mine too but even so, it would roll with the best of them. On the rudder, give it all the throw you can get. Can fly on rudder only with enough throw. does great snaps. Building another one as the first one did a kamikaze with a shorted out servo:D Had a Himax 2025 with a TP 2100 batt. Would take off vertically out of your hand. :p

qban_flyer
02-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Sounds like you had a radio controlled missile there Gord.

Mine flies exactly the same as yours did. Quite a challenge to keep up with it, though it is a lot of fun doing so. :)

flypaper 2
02-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Ran a 10-8 GWS HD prop. Probably 40 to 45 MPH range. The only beefing up I did was put a slightly longer carbon fibre spar in it. Didn't need to use full throttle much except when a buddy with a Corsair and I did mock combat. Had a midair once and saw a piece flutter down. Thought it was my canopy. He did a slow flyby and the stab and elevator was missing on one side. Still flew fine except the elevator was a little sluggish:D GWS warbirds are a great series.

easytiger
02-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Col, what is your name over on Rcgroups? Are you "sarge?"

thomdoe
02-12-2006, 11:27 PM
What does COL mean, K