PDA

View Full Version : Charging Problems

kc10boom
08-10-2005, 03:49 PM
I have a F-27 Stryker with two batteries. A 7.2 and a 8.4. Both batteries are almost new. I have charged both of them once with my Triton. It my be a coincidence but now my car charger will not fully charge either one. I have even bought a new charger and it only charges for 10 min. and stops. What can be wrong? I went to the store yesterday and bought dean connectors to see if they will fix the problem.

Crash Test Dummy
08-11-2005, 05:41 PM
I have a F-27 Stryker with two batteries. A 7.2 and a 8.4. Both batteries are almost new. I have charged both of them once with my Triton. It my be a coincidence but now my car charger will not fully charge either one. I have even bought a new charger and it only charges for 10 min. and stops. What can be wrong? I went to the store yesterday and bought dean connectors to see if they will fix the problem.

The stock connectors have a bad rep. Everyone seems to switching to Deans Ultra. This should fix your issues. Those batteries should be cycled some for them to reach full capacity. Also, you should charge them just before you fly them, they say to fly them warm off the charger. When you can, try a 8 or 9 cell pack of GP 1100's, these batteries ROCK. Way better than the stock ones. Check out www.cheapbatterypacks.com (http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com) they will make packs to your specs. 9 cell could push the limits of the stock ESC, many are reporting good results. I would run the 9 cell but you be your own judge.

Hope this was helpful.:)

CTD

Edd Spidell
08-11-2005, 05:53 PM
I agree with the previous post. The small teminals used, including the unplated JST style (Japan Standard Terminal), can quickly oxidize (read poor conduction) and cause voltage drop problems under current loads. I have seen folks blaming their chargers for poor performance, which was actually due to putting on "quick disconnect" male-female connectors so they could use any style of connector to their packs. Stick with Deans, Astro-Flight, Anderson Power Poles (Sermos), Kavan, and other quality products.

As we say up here in Rhode Island - "Done once right, not done twice..."

Best Regards,

Edd Spidell

aeropal
08-11-2005, 07:24 PM
The cells in the pack may be unbalanced, some having a higher charge than others, and "confusing" peak chargers. Slow charge the packs to equalize the cells. It often takes around 3 charge-discharge cycles for new nickel based cell chemistry to "form" and produce full potential.

kc10boom
08-11-2005, 09:39 PM
I am new, how would I set my Triton to do this?

aeropal
08-12-2005, 12:35 AM
Per page 28 of the Triton manual (http://www.electrifly.com/manuals/gpmm3150-manual-v1_1.pdf):

NiCd (nickel-cadmium) and NiMH (nickel-metal hydride) batteries:

CHARGING:

1. Slow charge to break-in batteries that are new or
have been in storage for some time: set charge
current at 0.1C (C x 0.1), and set the “Safety timer” at
960 minutes.

Walter Phillips
08-14-2005, 01:08 AM
Nice quote Edd. I use the Astro Zero Loss connectors because they are easier to get a grip on when disconnecting them. This is necessary in RI when flying during the Winter months. I find most people using the Deans disconnect them by pulling the wires rather than the connectors. See you at the field. Walt Phillips

Jerry07_58
08-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Hello All,
Here's what my Buddy and I use. This is a really good home and field charger f/ NiCad and NiMh batteries. It's pretty inexspensive also. We have had ours in use for over two years.
refer to:
http://www.stevensaero.com/cart/cart.php?target=product&product_id=378&category_id=38