PDA

View Full Version : Brushless power for 2m Soaring Star

Geoff_Gino
01-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi All

All my brushed frustrations ended yesterday when my very underpowered 540 finally burnt out and seized.

I would like to go brushless and need advice for a motor and prop.

All Up Weight is 1,6 kilos (3,6 lbs) and I would like something in the region of 30 to 40 amps draw by the motor.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Sky Sharkster
01-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi Geoff, I'm a big AXI fan, so take this with a grain of salt! The AXI 2820/10 is listed as having a max current allowable of 40A/60 sec, max efficiency 20a to 30a.
Thrust with 7 cells and 12 x8 prop 35 to 53 oz (2.2 lbs to 3.1 lbs)
thrust with 8 cells and 11 x 7 prop 46 to 70 oz (2.8 lbs to 4.3 lbs)
thrust with 10 cells and 10 x 6 prop 49 to 88 oz.(3 lbs to 5-1/2 lbs)
Those are Hobby Lobby figures which, in my experience, are reasonable but conservative. I have a somewhat heavy (many repairs) 2 lb 2 meter glider that uses an AXI 2808-16 on 3 cell Lipo and it climbs VERY well on a 9 x 6 Cam folder.
Price of the 28/20 series is about $ 90.00 US.
weight 5.3 oz (150 gr) Diameter 35mm, 48mm long, 5 mm shaft
Just a suggestion!
Ron

Geoff_Gino
01-31-2006, 05:35 AM
Hi Ron

Big Axi fan myself and I am running that very motor in the Rainbow (see my post in "RC Radio's,Transmitters").

But as usual I have run into my LHS problems of "I'll have to get it for you"
I did manage to find a Hyperion 3025 almost locally and will go with that. A fellow flyer has the Hyperion in his Star and I was standing next to him when he "just let it go" and watched with my mouth hanging open as it climbed out near vertical.

Thanks for the reply.

Elfwreck
02-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Hey now,
While the outrunners are fine motors they can be a bit bulky in the nose of a powered glider. That and you'd have to rebuild the nose to get everything in place and clean.
How about a Jeti Phasor 30-3? It's a torquey inrunner the same size as your old 540 can motor so you won't have to remodel your model;)
This motor is very happy at 40 amps, yes the book says 30, but everybody I know with one (that's a dozen guys) run theirs at 40 amps.
Most are using 3s2p LiPos (T.P.4200) and 11-7 or 12-6 props (about 36 amps). It's a bullet proof motor and a simple conversion too.
At our local field one guy has one in an Amptique, a two meter poly floater with big landing gear, and he does all kinds of *crazy* rudder/elevator aerobatics with this thing, even hanging it on the prop:eek:
Another guy has one in a Great Pains, er planes, Spirit, another two meter poly floater. This thing'll climb out at better than fourty five degrees till it's outta sight. He can get quite a few climbs per battery too.
RobII

Geoff_Gino
02-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi Rob

The Hyperion 3025 was a direct fit into the fuse. and I had to make no adjustments for it to fit. The only thing needed was to make sure the motor leads do not rub up against the can.

Jeff Boyd 2
03-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi Geoff,

Have you flown the Hyperion yet ? ? I maidened my TT Soaring Star on the weekend. Flies nice . . shame about the motor . . Brushless here we come . . ! !

I am going to add drop flaps between the ailerons and the fuz to stop the landing approach where I want it . . can be difficult to get down, especially on the slope. Boy, that wing is efficient.

Geoff_Gino
03-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi Jeff

Nice to hear about your maiden which obviously went well. Love my "Star" and it's brushless motor even more.

Going brushless has made the world of difference, launching is no more the nightmare it used to be and I litterally "pop" the glider upwards and it flies away. Have on occassion climbed out vertically with the 3025 motor.

I personally prefer spoilers to flaps as I find that the "clean up" when switching off the spoilers is far quicker and does not change the attitude of the plane at all. I have set up for Spoilerons. Full travel on my ailerons is set at 100% whereas my spoilers deploy to 150% and only very slightly pitch the nose up with a drastic decrease in speed. I can now spot my landings to where I don't walk more than 30 paces to collect the plane which I do on my way back to the pits.

Awesome plane and I have managed to get a great setup which is working very well. Average flying time is 20 - 30 minutes and with 60% left in the pack when I'm down. I don't fly slopes and have spent most of my time wind soaring when there are no thermals about.

Jeff Boyd 2
03-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Geoff, which model 3025, and what prop are you turning?
also, how many Amps static? (sorry about all the questions).

I am looking for about 300W and thinking about the 3025-12, 664kv on 3S with a 13/6 OR 14/6 Folder . . sound about right?

Geoff_Gino
03-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Jeff

Setup is:
3205 Hyperion motor (40-50 amp. 60 amp peak)
1.7 kg AUW
3S1P 3,5 amp 20C discharge
10x8 CAM folding prop
37 amp draw WOT
77 amp Jeti ESC.

Gives 777 Watts total (207 watts/lb) which is probably far to much, but hey it works.

Jeff Boyd 2
03-21-2006, 03:53 AM
Thanks, Geoff. That must be the 3025-06 then?

Jeff Boyd 2
03-21-2006, 08:03 AM
Here's a pic with the Soaring Star at a slope . . resetting the spoilerons.

Geoff_Gino
03-22-2006, 05:47 AM
Thanks, Geoff. That must be the 3025-06 then?

You're probably right! - I will check when I get home tonight. Memory must be going :o

Had a bonus holiday yesterday - best weather and lots & lots of lift at the club in overcast conditions.

Another brilliant day under the belt - getting spoilt as our good flying weather is still on it's way. :D :D

nickf
06-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi Guys,

I am interested in buying this glider, would like to know if the wings are detachable without much fuss? * akin to the multiplex easyglider would be swell* as transportation would be an issue to me if not,

Appreciate your kind reply
Nick :cool:

Geoff_Gino
06-06-2006, 06:36 AM
Hi Guys,

I am interested in buying this glider, would like to know if the wings are detachable without much fuss? * akin to the multiplex easyglider would be swell* as transportation would be an issue to me if not,

Appreciate your kind reply
Nick :cool:

Hi Nick

Depends on what you would call "much fuss". The wing is one piece and is secured with 4 screws. I don't find it any hassle at all and to connect the ailerons and screw the wing in place takes about 2-3 minutes.

If you do decide to buy please consider going brushless as the supplied brushed motor is totally inadequate for the plane. Burnt the brushed motor and ESC one d ay looking for a "go around" and ended up cart wheeling the glider with some bad damaged to the fuselage.

lastgoodbye69
08-27-2006, 12:35 PM
:cool: Iv been scourering the net for info on this sailplane but could find nothing until now. I hope some of you soaring star flyers are still watching it.

I am on the verge of buying an Omei, but after reading the thousand or so posts on RCgroups about it, am just a bit shy of the well known weak wing and fuselarge. Especially since I have already ordered a reasonbably powerful setup to put in it, and am already thinking about the dreaded day that wing folds.

My setup is going to be Hyperion G2220/14 glider motor and Hyperion Titan 50... with 12x6 folder and 2200 3cell 12c Lipos.

Anyway, thing is, the Soaring Star has really being catching my attention, and I just can't decide which to buy.

Any of you guys who know the Omei, can you give me your opinion on whether the Fuse and wing on the Soaring star is any stronger.?

If you dont know the Omei, then any advice on the flight characteristics of the Soaring Star would be appreciated??

Will this model handle fast dives and reasonable erobatics without the wings folding?

Is there room to parallel packs in that fuse if ya wanted?

What AUW are you guys getting with your setups?

:)
Cheers,
Paul

Jeff Boyd 2
08-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi Paul,

I still haven't put a decent Brushless set-up in mine yet (I have been distracted . . flying Pattern Competitions), however I have pulled some tight continuous loops from a dive at the slope, and it's fine.

I have also dived from a thermal and pulled massive loops with rolls on the top, and it's great.

Having said that . . just about nothings unbreakable, and I tend to show respect to airframes by not pulling hard yanks on the sticks.

I also had a bad landing at the slope resulting in a cartwheel finishing upside down . . the only damage was a little cracked gel coat around the nose and a couple of bent wing bolts . . but it held up well . . it's pretty tough.

It's also a nice shaped fuse with plenty of space in the front for your packs . . no problems . . I run 3600mAh 3S2P in mine.

lastgoodbye69
08-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks Jeff,

Well I hope you sleep well tonight in knowing that you have put some guy you don’t know on the other side of the country’s mind at ease. I’ve been agonizing over this decision for days,, Iv searched all over the place for info on this model but there’s nothing to be found. All I was thinking was, Thunder Tiger – its got a be better, and that funky 2 tone covering job would be great for thermalling

There's no way that Omei fuse would take a cartwheel without ending in a thousand bits.

Anyway, that’s good enough for me I reckon. I’ll be picking up my Soaring Star next week and will report back here with my thoughts. (sheesh, I wasted about 10 hours reading all of the Omei threads on RC groups)

One more question please. The advertising says 4 micro servos? Does it really take micros, I would of thought mini servos maybe. Micros seem a bit small for a 2 metre glider?

Oh yeah, and is that two wing join rods I see in the advertising pics. How long are they?
Cheers,
Paul

Jeff Boyd 2
08-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Paul, you'll be real happy with it. It flys great.

I use micro servos in it, and they seem to work fine . . basically Hitec HS55's . . mini servos will be OK too :-)

Jeff Boyd 2
08-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Oh, yeah . . the wing is two piece. The carbon wing joiners are 200mm long. The wing bolts down with four bolts (two in each wing).

NOTE: I always add a strip of good quality packing tape to the join on the underside of the wing before bolting it . . just for added support.

Jeff Boyd 2
08-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Ohhhhhh . . one more thing . .

It has an awesome looking carbon fibre printed canopy BUT . . TT recommend fitting it with about eight little micrscopic screws . . can you imagine it at the slope ? ? I don't think so ! !

I cut four little peices of velcro and attach it with this . . however, I have to add a piece of that clear packing tape over the Left Hand edge at the front otherwise the folding prop hooks underneath and you can't restart ! ! . . no inconvenience compared to all those b . . screws ! !

lastgoodbye69
08-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the tips Jeff. I thought it was one piece. Oh well, better for my car I suppose. Will pick up some of that fibre tape stuff then.

So are the servo bays designed to take micros or minis. I think I have a couple of spare JR NES 331s here somewhere, but if the bays are specifically designed for micros, i might just pick up 4 HS55s at my LHS.

Cheers,
Paul

Jeff Boyd 2
08-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Where are you based? 331's will fit . . I use these in mine, and they work fine http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RC-Airplane-Helicopter-9g-Mini-Micro-Servo-US_W0QQitemZ320020680171QQihZ011QQcategoryZ34056QQ cmdZViewItem

About AU$45 including postage for 4 of them . . cheap.

Jeff

lastgoodbye69
08-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks Jeff,

As far as those towerpro ones go. I just dont trust em. Perhaps the 9gram ones are okay, but I bought 4 of the 5 gram ones. I shredded a gear on my second flight with one. I took them out of that model, and fitted the remaining 3 in my Tiger Moth. I had one short flight, and then I was messing around on the ground and one of my ailerons locked in the up position. A bit more messin arround saw it lock several times. I took it apart and the gears were fine. I dont know what happened, but I vowed to use HS55s as micros from now one, which is what I have in my Tiger now. Budget Hobbies, my LHS sells them at $21 or 4 for $78.

Like I say, perhaps the 9gram jobs are different, but I just dont want to trust them, especially when I'm putting $570 ( not including servos) a thousand feet in the air in the TT soaring star. :)

I'm in SE Qld. about halfway between the Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Cheers,
Paul

lastgoodbye69
08-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Guys, I got my Soaring Star yesterday and have posted my thougts on the Thunder Tiger Soaring star post I started over at RCgroups. Please feel free to share your experiences/tips/comments or questions,
Cheers,
Paul

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561919

Jeff Boyd 2
08-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Paul . . the 5g servos I only use in 170g Shockflyers. They are way to light for anything else . . there are a few of us using the 9g servos now. I have fitted them to nearly every parkflyer for the last 18 months and they are all still flying regularly. A friend has them fitted to a 200W Hotpoint park F3A model (similar to the Fliton Quiet Storm) and also has them fitted in a Trex heli . . . all working great. Highly recommend them.

Congratulations on your Soaring Star . . nice looking "bit of gear" isn't it ?

Jeff

lastgoodbye69
08-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Yeah, sure is Jeff, I'm very happy I bought this instead of the Omei. Your right about that screwing the canopy dont with those 5 or 6 micro screws but. :eek: I'm just doing the old tape job. Those screws would be lots of fun at the slope.

Alright, well i did here the tower pro ones were good, but my experience with the 5gramers put me off. I'll check the 9gram ones out next time.

spelchek
12-28-2006, 04:55 AM
Hi all, new member here, and new to RC.

Received a Soaring Star and futaba 6ch transmitter for Xmas and am currently getting set to begin assembly. Lastgoodbye69 has given me a few pointers and some of the 'basics' of RC soaring in the 'RCgroups.com forums.

IM just wondering about servos.. specifically, do you think 'MPX Nano-S' servos are too small for this model? I was advised by the hobby shop salesman that these would be too small for the elevator, but would be ok for ailerons/flaperons. What does the collective wisdom here think? The instructions that come with the SS does say to use 4 mini servos.. BUT for "extra performance you should consider using one of the miniature radio systems available which would lower weight and increase performance of your SS".

Really looking forward to begining assembly of this bird.. let alone learning how to fly it :)