PDA

View Full Version : Berg Antenna Separation

Ribcracker
12-06-2008, 02:45 AM
I have several micro-stamps and love them - great value!
Recently I bought another one and the antenna fell off while I was installing it.:eek: I suppose it's possible that I pulled it off but I wasn't aware of that. Anyway, I looked at one of my other Bergs to see where the antenna is attached, peeled back the covering and lightly soldered the antenna back on.
When testing I get either glitching or no response at all. The red LED stays on. Backing away to avoid swamping doesn't help. I tried switching crystals and other components with no luck.
Is there a trick to reattaching an antenna? Is it possible that I did it wrong? Is it possible that the antenna has nothing to do with it?
Any ideas?
Thanks, guys.
Bud

Ribcracker
12-13-2008, 05:13 PM
No takers? Darn!
Say...does Castle still monitor this support forum? Surely one of the techs has had some experience with this.
What about you other modelers? Anybody have to reattach an antenna? Any luck?

CHELLIE
12-13-2008, 08:52 PM
No takers? Darn!
Say...does Castle still monitor this support forum? Surely one of the techs has had some experience with this.

Hi :ws: I have had my antenna wire come off too, normally after a crash :D here is what I do Now, I resolder the wire back on, then I get some fiberglass strapping tape, and lay the wire on the receiver body, and tape the wire to the body, now the antenna wire has to pull on the fiber glass tape, rather than the solder connection, so they dont break on me any more, also i tape the crystal in , so they dont vibrate out, When you repaired your receiver, it might have gotten it little to hot, and hurt a electrical chip or something, just toss it and get another one, they are cheap enough, and tape the antenna wires on your other receivers, so you dont have anymore problems, hope that helps, Chellie

Larry3215
12-13-2008, 10:07 PM
The red led means no/poor signal so something is wrong.

Could be your solder job didnt make the conection or you soldered to the wrong spot or shorted the antena to another conection on the board or you over heated some other component or hit the board with some static or ??

Id say its time to send it back in for repair.

Ribcracker
12-14-2008, 02:42 AM
Chellie, Larry,
You're terrific, as usual. You've put it in perspective for me. I either used too much heat or I shorted the antenna. And it's just a 25 dollar Rx so I should just pitch it.
But it never did work, not even for a second, so I'm tempted to send it back to Castle. On the other hand, my soldering probably damaged it even further. I'll pitch it.
Thanks guys. I need to just let it go.
Peace,
Bud

Larry3215
12-14-2008, 04:00 AM
No no! Send it back.

There is a good chance they will fix it for free. Id be honest with them up front and I bet they do it for you.

Even if they dont - its 1/2 price max repair cost :)

Ribcracker
12-15-2008, 03:21 AM
Larry,
I sent them an email tonight. I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks for your encouragement.
Bud

PerformanceModelAviation
12-19-2008, 01:42 AM
Call CC and ask for Joe Ford and let him know what happen and what you did..

Scott Anderson
Team Castle Creations

Ribcracker
12-19-2008, 02:29 AM
Scott,
Joe said to send it in for evaluation. I mailed it yesterday.
Thanks,
Bud

Bill G
12-19-2008, 05:26 PM
No takers? Darn!
If they're not going to be here, we should just can the Forum. I'm not thrilled about the idea of us being too low on the food chain for them to be here, unlike RCG. I'm not going there for support either. Too much work to take out a new email address, register, and post, all just to have B. Hell kill me off, presumably with his special filter he set up that sends him notice of anyone registering from my internet provider. Probably been a few new registrees from from Zoominternet wondering why the heck they got banned for nothing, within a day of registering.:D

Ribcracker
01-04-2009, 03:21 AM
I received a replacement for my RX 4L today along with a bill for $15. It would cost twice that to replace it so I was pleased. But I'm a little confused because I included my credit card number along with my letter to them asking them to charge any fees.
The repair invoice says, Payments $0.00 Balance Due $15.00. So I guess I'll send them a check for $15 and hope that they don't also charge my cc.
It's nice that they replaced it for half price and I'm flattered that they didn't wait to receive payment before shipping it. Apparently, they trust me.
The check will be in the mail. No, really.

CHELLIE
01-04-2009, 05:29 AM
I received a replacement for my RX 4L today along with a bill for $15. It would cost twice that to replace it so I was pleased. But I'm a little confused because I included my credit card number along with my letter to them asking them to charge any fees.
The repair invoice says, Payments $0.00 Balance Due $15.00. So I guess I'll send them a check for $15 and hope that they don't also charge my cc.
It's nice that they replaced it for half price and I'm flattered that they didn't wait to receive payment before shipping it. Apparently, they trust me.
The check will be in the mail. No, really.

Thats good to hear :D use some fiberglass strapping tape, and secure the antenna wire to the case, and a little tape to hold the crystal in place, then you should never have any more problems, Its funny, I have all of my Berg Receivers antennas secured that way, except one :Q that was when i was trying different things to keep the antenna wire from breaking, on this one i used just clear tape, and the antenna wire finally cut through it, and yes, the antenna wire came off today on me at the Flying field :red: well I did not fly my Katana today, but i resoldered the wire back on, range tested it, and used FIBERGLASS straping tape this time :Q :D ;-) Take care, Chellie