PDA

View Full Version : Brushless motors and saltwater

philbel
12-12-2008, 05:38 AM
Hi everyone,
Next week I will be on vacation in the Dominican Republic and I will bring along my Minimag on floats for a little early morning fun. I am using a Turnigy 2835 2200kv and a Hexctronic 36a esc. I soaked the esc in Corrosion X and I sprayed the servos with Max-Wax (same company) as I do with all electronics for floatflying. But I am wondering if I should do the same with the brushless motor...
Can saltwater really damage the brushless motor?
Any advice?
Thanks,
Philbel

groundrushesup
12-12-2008, 06:49 AM
Hi everyone,
Next week I will be on vacation in the Dominican Republic and I will bring along my Minimag on floats for a little early morning fun. I am using a Turnigy 2835 2200kv and a Hexctronic 36a esc. I soaked the esc in Corrosion X and I sprayed the servos with Max-Wax (same company) as I do with all electronics for floatflying. But I am wondering if I should do the same with the brushless motor...
Can saltwater really damage the brushless motor?
Any advice?
Thanks,
Philbel

Prolonged exposure, sure. Saltwater can be a powerful electrolyte and some of the alloys that are often used in the bell housings of most outrunners can be attacked readily by corrosion - but mechanically - I bet if you bring it home and do a top-down scrubbing of the bearings, bushings, etc. you will be alright.

Or you could wire a chunk of zinc to the stator - its called a galvanic or 'sacrificial' anode. The corrosion attacks it intead of your steel alloys.

;-) That's how they keep steel boat props from disintegrating. :p>

My $0.02.

GRU

philbel
12-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Do you know by any chance if Corrosion-X can be applied on brushless motors? I know it works very well on escs and receivers but... on motors??

As for wiring a chunk of zinc to the stator, I don't think I have sufficient knowledge to do that. I've been in this hobby for a little more than a year and I admit I would not even know where the stator is located!!

Well, I'll just try not to drink too much rhum & Coke before taking off...
Thanks.

Philbel

CHELLIE
12-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Hi, After running the motor in salt water, just rinse it with fresh water, shake it out, and spray it with WD 40, or something like it, inside and out, no need to take the motor apart, if the motor does get eaten up after a while, dont worry about it, they are cheap like me :) LOL Take care, Chellie

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=7993

philbel
12-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion of the Turnigy 2836... Quite stronger than the one I'm using. Looks like a perfect fit on those brushed speed 400 mounts. I will try it on my Multiplex Twinstar next Spring.
Philbel

groundrushesup
12-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Do you know by any chance if Corrosion-X can be applied on brushless motors? I know it works very well on escs and receivers but... on motors??

As for wiring a chunk of zinc to the stator, I don't think I have sufficient knowledge to do that. I've been in this hobby for a little more than a year and I admit I would not even know where the stator is located!!

Well, I'll just try not to drink too much rhum & Coke before taking off...
Thanks.

Philbel

LOL I was kidding about the galvanic anode Phil - sorry bout that. ;-)

As far as the corrosion-X goes - if it doesn't damage PCB's I dunno why it would bother a motor - unless it attacks the varnish on the windings or the glue on the magnets...

Sorry chief, never used it before so I guess I should just clam up. ;-)

Have fun down in the Caribbean - last time I was there I ended up staying twice as long as I planned and I came back a lot poorer but it was worth every penny lol

phupper
12-12-2008, 06:51 PM
"just rinse it with fresh water, shake it out, and spray it with WD 40"

Chellie is correct (as usual), I've dunked my BL motor in salt water probably 6 times in the last month. It still works fine.
(you wanna do that rinsing ASAP)

philbel
12-12-2008, 07:32 PM
thanks guys,
You had me on this one (the zinc on the stator...).
Never make fun of a handicapped person!!
Cant wait to fly that Minimag with local Dominicans looking at a rc plane for the first time. Last year a guy wanted to buy my whole system for a fortune... He had brand new $100 bills in his pocket... Wonder where he got all that money.
Merry Christmas.
Phil

Larry3215
12-13-2008, 05:51 AM
CorrosionX is safe to use on motors. I dunk all my water plane motors in the stuff and it works great.

It should help keep the motor from rusting but Id still rinse in fresh water after each flight and re-treat with CorrosionX often.

Same thing on the electronics - rinse and re-treat.

philbel
12-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks Larry,
I'll do just that!
Last question: can the salty breeze of the Carribean dammage the transmitter? Is there any way to protect te transmitter from it?
Phil

Larry3215
12-13-2008, 04:35 PM
The tx is more dificult.

I have used large plastic bags when flying in the rain. Stick the antena out thru a hole in the end. Its clumsy though and you still get it wet.

I would NOT treat the entire tx with corrosionX. It would probably mess up all the pots inside and kill any LCD screens.