PDA

View Full Version : 2409-18 prop shaft

Capt Easy
12-16-2008, 06:34 AM
I need advice on how to remove the prop shaft on the 2409-18 brushless motor.
The "c" clip has been removed from the groove but I can't seem to remove a circular keeper in the groove.

If anyone is familiar and can help with the procedure please advise me.

Much thanks...

flydiver
12-16-2008, 07:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9QQi7VeXec

Sometimes there is a thin little thrust washer under the clip. It hangs up in the groove and it a pain to remove. Keep at it. Magnification help.

When you get it off just pull HARD on the bearing shaft. It should come off. Unfortunately my first attempt had the bearing stuck on both the shaft and in the bearing recess-wouldn't come apart until I pressed it out.

When you put it back together control the magnetic attraction forcefully. Don't let the stator SLAM!!! back in. Wrecks the bearings.

While it's out put a pencil point in the bearing and spin by hand. Should be smooth. Brinelled bearings will feel rough and ultimately need replacement. For TP motors buy a bunch. Be sure to check sizes. They use a couple different ones. HeadsUpRC has them.

CHELLIE
12-16-2008, 07:41 AM
I need advice on how to remove the prop shaft on the 2409-18 brushless motor.
The "c" clip has been removed from the groove but I can't seem to remove a circular keeper in the groove.

If anyone is familiar and can help with the procedure please advise me.

Much thanks...

Hi Captain :ws: you can also remove the 2 set screws on the bell, you have to remove them anyway to replace the shaft, remove the screws, and hold the bell and pull :D some times you might have to use a piece of wood, and lay the shaft on the wood, and push down on the bell, there is a grove on the shaft, so getting it to line up, should not be a problem, when you get everything back together, make sure you have about .005 thousands of an inch play in the shaft, hold the motor, and move the bell, back and forth, you need a little play, so things dont rub together, then tighten the screws on the bell to lock in place, use blue lock tight , on the set screws, Hope that helps, Chellie

Capt Easy
12-16-2008, 07:58 AM
You guys are the best. That's just the info I needed. That little thrust washer is what's giving me pause. I wasn't sure about it. I took another 2409 apart and it wasn't there.

Anyway thanks again.....

flydiver
12-16-2008, 08:17 AM
You expect these motors to be consistent!?! Hoo Boy....

CHELLIE
12-16-2008, 08:20 AM
You expect these motors to be consistent!?! Hoo Boy....

No Way Jose :Q :D ;-) LOL :p> I have had bell motors come with o washers and up to 3 washers :) the best thing to do with these bell motors, is to use a prop saver, push the prop saver all the way back to the bell, cut the motor shaft, 1/8" sticking out of the prop saver, that helps to keep the motor shaft from bending, the shaft is shorter now, and less likely to bend, grind a little flat spot on the motor shaft where the prop adapter screws touch the motor shaft, and use blue lock tight on the screws, that will keep the prop adapter from wanting to turn on the motor shaft, Ok, I hope I explained that good enough, Take care, Chellie

Capt Easy
12-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Consistant....? I'm surprised if it still remains in the dictionary these days.
I put an hour of flight time on the motor this morning with a Super Cub that doesn't look that super anymore, but still manages to maintain some lift co-efficient anyway. All went well thanks to your help.

As a note, that thrust washer was a real pain to get off and even worse putting back on. With your help, the video and some dyer persistance I finally prevailed and got it put back together.

Thanks again