PDA

View Full Version : Copper re-connection.

pablo27
12-17-2008, 07:34 PM
I've been running a 3200kv outrunner in a Funjet until today when it coughed and spluttered after launch, it could barely spin once landed. The leads running to the ESC were very close to the bell as it spun, so I had wrapped sleeving around them for protection, unfortunately this had melted through friction all over the bell of the motor. On inspection under a microscope I can see that one of the copper binds has broken, possilbly caused by the extra load of the wire sleeving restricting the bell as it spun. Can these 2 strands be reconnected in any way. I had also noticed some melted solder in amongst the bindings possibly due to the extra heat build up, would this have affected the performance too by causing a short ? I have cleaned out the solder but not re-checked it since.Thanks for any help given.

stinkweed007
01-08-2009, 06:51 PM
geese pablo, going nuclear with your motors?

Without an image, I could say that strands (as tedious of a job it might be) could be reconnected with some really precise soldering, but this tick of resistance may still lower your performance. as far as you rubbing through insulation, you might be having a larger vibration problem, leading to degraded performance efficiency and overheating of your motor as the result.

just thinking out loud.

pablo27
01-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks for your suggestion Stink. I was looking for a quick fix, so I attempted to solder the copper bindings back together but failed miserably ! I did clean up the bindings and wiring thinking it would be fine but it still coughed and spluttered so it's been abandoned.

I've fitted a replacement motor on the outside of the motor mount and it performs much better now, the leads are not rubbing on the bell and the prop is happier now that it can chew some cleaner air away from the rear of the fuz ;-). Temps have been good though I think the cold winter here in the UK is helping quite a bit in that department !

Cheers.

pburt1975
01-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Pablo, would it be a motor worth attempting to rewind? You say its been abandoned now, no harm in a little experimenting right?

pablo27
01-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Pablo, would it be a motor worth attempting to rewind? You say its been abandoned now, no harm in a little experimenting right?

Yeah I guess so, I've never attempted anything like that but it could make an interesting little project one day. I'll keep it safe in a 'to do ' drawer ;-).

pburt1975
01-08-2009, 07:34 PM
If you do get the urge, this thread may help
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38232

pablo27
01-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks I'll have a look. This was a budget motor so it didn't really hurt when it quit but it will make an ideal platform for learning a bit about the construction process, cheers.

shotgunsmitty
03-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I've rewound several budget motors with pretty good success and stable performance.

I have one on my desk right now that I'm going to ask a silly question about...