PDA

View Full Version : Interest in specific planes?

barmonkey
12-18-2008, 08:35 AM
I would like to create a series of threads in the WWI forum specific to the needs of anyone interested in planes of the Great War. My motivation for doing this stems from my own frustration with searching for info on a certain plane on Forums, Books and the Net....Gah!!! Searching the World Wide Web can be so frustrating.

Essentially, I want to make things easier for my fellow Wattfliers...These threads would include specific categories as:

Basic Info concerning a specific plane i.e.: Spad V.II, Fokker DR.1
R/C Kits
R/C ARFS
Links to conversions of older Free Flight and Control Line kits such as Guillows, Comet, and Sterling
Links to Conversions of larger scale models to Electric
Publications concerning a specific plane (Squadron/Signal, Windsock Datafiles, Osprey)
Plastic Models of a specific plane in 1/72/ 1/48/ 1/32/ and 1/28 scale (good references for building those scale flying models)
Links to builds/conversions and such

At any rate, I'd like some feedback on this idea...

dbcisco
12-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I think this is a great idea. I also think it would give some of us ideas for making our planes unique as well as scale. There was so much variation in these planes beyond paint schemes.

I would be interested in converting existing kits into other models as well, ie: what planes have the same basic shape and are easily modified without having to scratch build.

7car7
12-19-2008, 05:14 PM
I like the idea, and I'm curious as to how this will play out.

I've been frustrated in trying to find a kit or even plans of a few planes I'd like to do. Searching the web takes so much time, and doesn't always produce anything.

Are you saying you want us to mention a plane then everyone with info on it chimes in? Or what?

barmonkey
12-20-2008, 12:57 AM
I think that you have the general idea...I plan to start a series of threads, each one devoted to a specific plane. The first couple of posts will contain the info in list form as in my first post on this thread. The rest will be open for discussion, and hopefully the addition of info, links to plans, kits, and books provided by other Wattflyer members. These will then get added to the master list.

So far I plan to do threads on:
SPAD VII and XIII
Albatros D.I through D.Va
RAF SE5/SE5A
Fokker D.VII
Fokker Dr.I
Sopwith Camel

Of course there are more possibilities, but I think that'll be a good start.

floss
12-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Great idea, sort've like a bank of info that you can look at on each of the above aircraft that everyone can contribute too.

Steve

barmonkey
12-20-2008, 02:18 AM
EXACTLY!

They key is to have the first few posts as a map or index to information. Right now I am thinking of using the first three posts like this:

First post....General info on the subject including dimensions, powerplant, a couple of pictures and a three view pilfered from the web. This will be pretty brief...

Second Post....A list with links to Plans, Kits, ARF's etc.

Third Post....References: including books and model kits

I suppose what I need from everybody is input on format and what to include. How does this sound so far?

barmonkey
12-20-2008, 02:34 AM
I suppose I should use a fourth post devoted to build threads.

floss
12-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Pictures are the most valuable info, you really want provision for as many images as possible. At the end of the day they are what allow us to modify, detail or build. Facts and figures are interesting to read but seldom help when it comes to duplicating an actual aircraft which is what we like doing.

Steve

dbcisco
12-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Pictures are the most valuable info, you really want provision for as many images as possible. At the end of the day they are what allow us to modify, detail or build. Facts and figures are interesting to read but seldom help when it comes to duplicating an actual aircraft which is what we like doing.

Steve

Ditto

rhino
12-20-2008, 09:15 PM
I think its a great idea and I like the three to five post thread. Perhaps it should be like an index and each post lead to a thread or thread chapters. The point of this would be to navigate to the bit of information you're looking for as quickly as possible. Similar to the way wikipedia links more information into an initial topic - or sub topic.

Great idea. It would be nice if the inital thread or "index" thread wasn't hopped on with replies as we all do about related content and was kept to a trim three to five reply thread with "chapter-thread-links". In this way it could be kept as the initial source to quickly navigate to the source of our interests.

~two cents

Also what would be a nice thread along this line is a photo library/mueseum of completed specific modeled aircraft. Where all the DVII's, for example, would all be together in a single "album."

barmonkey
12-21-2008, 04:04 AM
I certainly agree we will need pictures...my philosophy is "Build it and they will come".

This will certainly be a community fueled project. I envision members posting things like: "Here's some pics of my completed Nieport 11", "Here's a link to my build thread", and "I found this site which details a restoration"....I'll then add the links to the appropriate category in the beginning of the thread.

The first reseved posts may look a little lame at first, but as the info comes in they should fill out nicely.

I have been thinking about a catchy title .... "The Wattflyer Guide to the (insert plane here)"