PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pool takeoff?

Don Sims
02-01-2006, 01:12 AM
I was wondering this afternoon what it would take to get my GWS Beaver to take off from a 24' round swimming pool. Stock it doesn't get up to step and take off even with the plane touching the far edge of the pool.

Ideas gents?? (Or ladies?)

Jim Casey
02-01-2006, 02:34 AM
LiPos and a brushless motor?

Add trolling motor to the side of the pool to get some current going to help with takeoff?

Tilt the pool to get extra speed with a downhil takeoff? (just kidding)

Rugar
02-01-2006, 02:52 AM

HEHEHE! That's funny! :D

Don,
E-Flight 400/4200KV, or Himax 2025/4200 geared for 200 watts with a TP 1320 Pro Light to save more weight, or even a Heavier TP 2100 Pro Light should get the job done.

EpoweredRc
02-01-2006, 02:54 AM

Add trolling motor to the side of the pool to get some current going to help with takeoff?

Ha ha LMAO that was funny.

Don Sims
02-01-2006, 03:09 AM

LOL great ideas!!

airmail wf
02-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Did you try running in a circle.( the plane not you) ;) 24 ' thats pretty big might work. :rolleyes:

Don Sims
02-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Actually I did try that WF, looked kinda wierd and I got disoriented trying to take off, the plane would tip to the side.

ForestCam
02-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Well you could tip the diving board down into the water and aim for it. :p

Warden
02-02-2006, 01:32 PM
I still like the "Tilt the pool" idea!:)

TLyttle
02-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Nah, that's why I gave up on waterskiing; I couldn't find a lake with a hill in it...

redneckflyer
04-12-2006, 10:02 PM
if you get it to work, please take pics or vids to show us. p.s. i like the tilt the pool idea to he he he.:D :D

rcers
04-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Nah, that's why I gave up on waterskiing; I couldn't find a lake with a hill in it...

You just didn't look hard enough!

Ha...

We used to waterski in the irrigation canals growing up in Idaho. The pickup was the "boat" and we tied to rope to the hitch. Tons of fun.

OK now back to the pool. How about the slow stick, that would make it off in 24 feet with a cheap 10-11amp b/l system.

Mike

Don Sims
04-13-2006, 12:30 AM
My brushless SS should handle it, takeoff in inches... ;) Irrigation water skiing sounds like a hoot!

obiewanben
04-13-2006, 02:14 AM
Instead of an electric motor providing water current, try one of those electric fans, about 2" diameter to give you a headwind.

skiman762
04-13-2006, 03:56 AM
tell the wife you think it's time get a bigger pool:D

TLyttle
04-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Hahaaa! Good idea about the fan at the end of the pool... but you just added another 2' or so to the fence!

Canal waterskiing: anyone remember the late Dave Allen from the UK? One of his famous attacks on the Church had him skiing along a canal in his sedan chair being towed by his footmen, swimming furiously...

LannyG
05-19-2006, 10:27 PM

That works real good if you have a hydraulic jake to lift one end of the pool. Just remember to take off DOWNhill!

TLyttle
05-20-2006, 03:25 AM
Now, THERE is a jack that I want to see...

Jim Casey
05-20-2006, 03:58 AM
Seriously, one thing to try is to rig the plane more nose-up relative to the floats. 3-4 degrees of wing incidence releative to the level top of the float should work. If you go too far, the plane wll be directionally unstable at high speed on the water, but there is a broad range of workable angle. If the plane is set too nose-DOWN, the tail of the floats will keep the plane both from rotating or from achieving takeoff speed. If the plane will fly at all it should take off in 24 feet.

Bill G
05-24-2006, 05:45 AM
I was wondering this afternoon what it would take to get my GWS Beaver to take off from a 24' round swimming pool. Stock it doesn't get up to step and take off even with the plane touching the far edge of the pool.

This one with a Himax 2015-4100 GWS C geared setup would do it easily. Needs about 12 ft in snow. Floats set up stock unmodified. CG fine with Thunder Power 3s-900 in orig GWS batt compartment.
From experience, a larger motor such as the 2025 with heavier lipo required is completely unnecessary. Power with the 2015 is plenty. Can't use full power in flight as it is. Using a GWS 9070 3-blade also. Looks more scale.

Bill G
05-27-2006, 02:07 AM
Just got back from a flight with this thing. Grass was wet from rain, and it started raining again, ending the flight. Came in for a beautiful float landing on wet grass. This plane glides so well I just completely kill the throttle near the ground, and it glides in perfectly. Great stable flyer with no mods.

Don Sims
05-27-2006, 03:29 AM
Beavers are a fun plane. Bill, are those stock GWS floats on yours or did you put another brand on it??

Bill G
05-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Beavers are a fun plane. Bill, are those stock GWS floats on yours or did you put another brand on it??

GWS floats. Only $10. When you get them, you have to trim off a ridge at the top of the hulls, made at the parting line of the 2 mold halves, in production. Some have complained about this, but its the only way to mold the plastic hulls, without waavy sides. Just part of the molding process. You also have to glue the plastic hulls to the foam top half. Add a good smear after gluing on, to ensure no pinholes. The GWS label that runs down the sides covers the seam, and has seemed to stay on, when wet. The floats are good looking, with the smooth plastic hulls, when finished. I like them.

As for the Beaver, its as smooth a flyer as it gets. I see guys argueing back and forth about "which park trainer is best". I can't see it being much better than this plane.

fdix
05-28-2006, 03:22 PM

I like the idea :D

My pool is only 12' But I have something in mind... let's get to work! ;)

Bill G
05-28-2006, 04:33 PM

All things considered, this is actually better advice, than some of the advice given.:eek:
I often see modifications reccomended, by those who I'm not sure even own the plane themselves. Happens all the time. Fortunately, I think in this case, Don knows better.