PDA

View Full Version : New P-38 "Lightning" ARF

Sky Sharkster
02-02-2006, 11:27 AM
At Last! I have to credit Easytiger for pointing this out, Raidentech is offering a P-38 Lightning ARF. It's listed under "Nitro Gas RC planes" then click "Warbirds". Some specs;
Wingspan- 51.5"
Length- 38.5"
Wing Area- 387.5 sq/in
Flying Weight- 4.0 Lbs
Engine Req.- (2) 0.12 glow or
(2) 400 Brushless Electric w/ (2) 15-20A ESCs
11.1V 1300-1500 mAH Battery
4 Channel Radio req. with 7 mini servos
Price- $ 135.00
There are several photos, including an "exploded" view, apparently this is how it comes out-of-the-box; 2 piece wing with outboard ailerons, booms and center pod, rudders, quite a few bulkheads and molded parts like turbos, air scoops, canopy, etc. Fixed L.G. shown, also includes a CD photo-illustrated instruction manual. Additional photos show an uncovered framework, it's built-up balsa, wings are sheeted out to the booms, looks like "D" tube outboard with cap strips. Tail surfaces are built-up with geodetic ribs. Nose and cowls are molded clear plastic. Center pod and booms appear to be built-up and sheeted.
A couple of general observations, the full-size Lightning had a 51 foot w.s. so this is a 1/12th scale model. I think the recommended "400" motors would have a hard time flying a 4 lb model, the wing area quoted is less than 3 square feet. Something like AXI 2800 series motors would be more realistic. The workmanship in the uncovered views looks pretty good, especially considering the price. There are some nice touches like the simulated guns and turbo intakes and the L.G. seems to be stout, befitting it's "Glow" origins. It doesn't specify whether the nosegear is steerable but it certainly should be. The "7 mini servos" is a puzzler, if it uses dual aileron and dual rudder servos, plus elevator, that's 5. Retracts? Two servos for glow throttles?
At about 1/2 the price of the F/G fuse version (Hobby Lobby) it's worth a look! http://www.raidentech.com
Ron

Glacier Girl
02-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Hmmmm, It also says in the ad, 4 channels, 3 servos???????????

Old Fart
02-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Will someone _please_ find the guy responsible for the orange prop's - and _hurt_ him...........

Doppelganger
02-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Will someone _please_ find the guy responsible for the orange prop's - and _hurt_ him...........

I second that! :D

Steve

Old Fart
02-02-2006, 07:22 PM
I keep trying to imagine the jetprops here at LAX with orange propellers, but I _just_ _can't_ :)

rcers
02-02-2006, 07:23 PM
So Ron you going to get it???

Pretty good numbers although it does appear heavy. Look pretty nice...

Mike

bassmanh
02-02-2006, 08:13 PM
hello all,
i found these electric twins at dymond, i have there AT-6 and it flies nice. so now i am going to try there P-38 with twin 400's or 480's price is a little high but looks to be a nice ARF here is a link= http://www.rc-dymond.com/order_specialty.htm hope this link works las time it wouldnt.

bassman

Doppelganger
02-02-2006, 11:54 PM
hello all,
i found these electric twins at dymond, i have there AT-6 and it flies nice.
bassman

Not trying to hijack thread, but, could you post a couple pics of your Texan? Did you fit it with retracts? I'm looking to get this bird.
Thanks

Steve

Doppelganger
02-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Is Raidentech a solid company? Have anyone here ordered from them?

Steve

bassmanh
02-03-2006, 12:46 AM
dopp,
i dont have any pics my AT-6 but will see if i can get 1 to post. i didnt use retracts and right now my .46 la is out of it. it flies very nice, rolls and loops are fun. loops on high rates are scary to fats to count almost LOL. so over all its not a bad model goes together easy and flys well. hope this helps you ;)

bassman

Doppelganger
02-03-2006, 06:15 AM
That website shows two colors. The yellow and black color, and some puke ugly green color. I'm not sure which one they sell. Bummer that they are sold out. The T6 seems to be very popular.

Steve

Sky Sharkster
02-03-2006, 11:12 AM
To Doppelganger; Hi Steve, I haven't bought from Raidentech but there are several threads going here and RCG that mention their products. Under Glow & Electric Conversions, the " Long_EZ" conversion by Bobzilla, and (same Forum) " If it sounds too good..." by Gullwing. Also, under 3D, the "Pitts Special" thread. Most say their instructions are lousy (sound familiar?) but the planes are flyable, not for beginners, etc. Guess you just have to use common sense with these inexpensive deals. But I'm just so tired of waiting for GWS to make a Lightning and the others start at $200.00 so I'm willing to accept a less-than-perfect ARF. It's either that or scratch-build one!
To Rcers, Hello Mike, after reading the above, you'd think I might try one and you're right! The P-38 is my favorite Warbird and the 1/12th scale means it will look "scale" flying along side the GWS, Alfa + Flying Styro models. Now I have to buy 2 more AXI's!!!
P.S. Anybody know where I can get those COOL looking orange props? LOL!!!!
Ron

Doppelganger
02-03-2006, 10:30 PM
You're absolutely right Ron. I finally found a T6. My flying buddy is selling me his for $150. It's a CMP model that goes for $239. So my patience paid off. BTW, that P-38 would be a nice one to have. I'm going to give them a try.
I've built enough ARF's to be able to figure out the instructions if they aren't very good. So it shouldn't be a problem. :)

Steve

flyboyanderson
02-04-2006, 03:18 AM
I've ordered Raidentech's Pitts and their Evolution Trainer. The Pitts is a jewel, the Evolution a tank. My transaction went well and everything arrived ok. The instructions are a joke. You will need your forum buddies to work out all the build details.

For the money I say there worth it.

Doppelganger
02-04-2006, 10:12 AM
I finally found a T6. My flying buddy is selling me his for $150. It's a CMP model that goes for $239. So my patience paid off.
Steve

Sorry, I should have said "KMP"

Sky Sharkster
02-04-2006, 12:56 PM
I've been doing a little (OK, a LOT) of backtracking and at last have found the source of the Raidentech P-38, as well as many nitro + electric ARFs, inexpensive B/L motors, Foamies, Helis and other r/c-related stuff. It comes from http://www.avia-richmodel.com/english/introduction.html
Located in, of all places, China! Hard to believe, huh? Anyway, their site shows the plant and offices, assembly line, other details. Lists all the products but no prices. Apparently they ship to Raidentech and other mail-order companies. Richmodel, in addition to their home offices, has two U.S. offices, one in Washington State and another in Ohio; Also an office in the U.K. The motors will look familiar, I've seen them on several other sites, including http://www.nitroplanes.com/index.html That company lists the same P-38 at $ 129.00. They (Nitroplanes) have quite a few Warbirds, mostly large glow but a few smaller electric models too. Another " Bookmark" for ya'!!!
Ron

Rittenflyer
02-04-2006, 03:34 PM
In my opinion, orange props on a beauty like the P-38, or any other scale ship, are kind of like spandex on the wrong person...sort of make you cringe, maybe even flinch a little, certainly give you a grimace. My orange props get covered with black paint!

bassmanh
02-04-2006, 04:28 PM
sky,
looking at the parts layout of the P-38 it looks like the inner wings between the outer engine pods is missing ? does that need to be built yet do you think ? hmmm just wondering. ;)

NM i just figured it out the wing slides through the engine pods :) had to look really hard to see it . bassman

K CLOSE
02-11-2006, 03:32 AM
Hi all, I read this thread and checked out the link. I could not resist--- I got a P-51 Q off E-bay that was made by this company. It's axi outrunner now with the same E-max 2250 11.1 I use in my F2G super corsair---unlimited vert. and slows as nicely as any Mustang can be expected to. When I saw it was the same company making this P-38 I bought one on the spot. Now I have not gotten it yet, but that gives me more time to try to figure out how to power it. I've never done a twin before, let alone one this big, and so now the question. How would you power it? and is there any advantage to two speed controlers. I intend to rotate the motors in opp. directions, but I should be able to do that with one or two speed controls.
They all get wrecked sooner or later, I just prefer later.
Kelly

Sky Sharkster
02-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi Kelly, good luck with the Lightning!! Keep us posted. I'm ordering one next month, still paying off Holiday bills.
Regarding the powerplants, I'd suggest 2 AXI 2800 series, maybe the 2808/16's. Also the new E-Flight .20 glow size. I'll get a better idea after I see the model(and weigh it!). It's my understanding that you can't use 1 ESC for two Brushless motors, they get out-of-phase and won't run right. Threads I've read say you need two matched motors/ESCs but can be run off 1 battery. I may go with two separate systems, motor, battery, ESC, in each boom if it fits. I've also heard Aero-Model sells matching Hacker motors with one ESC, you could give them a call to check.
The counter-rotating motors are not a problem mechanically, just switch 2 leads. The problem is finding reverse-thrust (right-hand pitch, or clockwise rotation, take your pick) props. Grish used to make several glow sizes, maybe they still do. It sure would be nice to avoid torque problems, plus it would be scale!!
Let us know hot the P-38 looks, I, for one, am very interested!
Ron

Bill G
02-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Is Raidentech a solid company? Have anyone here ordered from them?

Steve

I would take a look at RCG to see some of the comments on them. The jist of it that I get, is just hope everthing goes right. Some people love the stuff. I haven't dealt with them personally, but the neg feedback on RCG points toward a lack of dealing with the customer after the sale, if there are any types of problems, such as cc reimbursements, damaged or incomplete orders (2 posts I distinctly remember). Again, not my experiences, but always worth a look.
I had a horrible experience with an online firm, which would have been avoided, if I had researced the threads. Their a good tool for us.

K CLOSE
02-14-2006, 02:47 AM
The P-38 came today, bought it from Nitromodels as they had it in stock. Inspection of the model explains some of the apparent inconsistencies in the servo count. The plane has a separate servo for the steerable nose wheel and they show a digram for two servos on a Y for the elevator ( I guess to avoid flex--I will only use one) It has a very nice finish just as the P-51 did, however it is not perfect (wrinkles in covering, cloudy canopy, questionable hardware). The wings attach together with a aluminum spar and a alignment dowel. The booms and pod screw onto the wing with vac plastic covers (superchargers). They provide a nice ply motor mount, and the cowling's are a very nice painted fiberglass. With it's large span (and despite what the blurb stated it is very light) it looks like it will fly very well indeed.
I doubt I'll use all of the provided hardware as some of it's nylon and seems insufficient for the task. Most else looks great, and for the price I could not be happier. HOWEVER, also just like the P-51 I think it will be a one flight per outing plane. Unless I come up with a better solution battery swaps will likely be a involved process, not surprising for a plane that comes with nitro tanks.
For what its worth, Nitromodels shipped right away and with FedEx. My plane arrived in good order thou, so I don't know how they handle damaged/defective claims.

Sky Sharkster
02-14-2006, 03:02 AM
To K CLOSE, Thanks for the info! I've been waiting to hear how the model looks; I'm glad to hear they have a provision for a steerable nosegear, wouldn't be the same without it.
If you get a chance, could you weigh the model? The quoted figure of 4 lbs seemed too high, it would be nice if it was lighter.
Well, keep us posted!
Thanks again
Ron

K CLOSE
02-14-2006, 03:07 AM
I'll weigh it, but it's no where near 4 lbs. The structure is as light or lighter than a GWS foamy. All that quoted weight must be in the motors and fuel. The landing gear is very stout and they even give carbon rods as linkages

Twmaster
02-15-2006, 01:37 AM
Doesn't Green models also sell one in a park flyer size? IIRC I just saw one on RCU for sale but cannot find any info via a Google search.

Sky Sharkster
02-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Hi Mike, is that the same "Green Models" that makes the Clever Boy? If so they're at http://www.greenmodelusa.com but apparently they don't have a P 38 anymore. I checked both "Electric ARF" and "Gas/Glow ARF" and it's not listed. The only other "Park" P 38 I know (knew) of was Mike Molt's which was sold thru Mountain Models. Doug doesn't carry the 'Molt birds anymore and Molt's website http://www.moltmodels.com lists both the Lightning & Hellcat as "Temporarily unavailable". I've e-mailed Mike M asking about a projected date for the P 38 but no reply. That was about a month ago. I believe Jim Ryan had a Speed 400 version, and there's a couple of plans sets from http://rcstore.com/rs/index.asp the M.A.N. plans source. Good Luck!
Ron

Twmaster
02-15-2006, 02:38 AM
Yea Ron same bunch. Wasn't me looking as I have zero interest in the P38 but others were looking so when I saw that one on RCU I thought I'd post. IIRC it was priced at $75

Cubano8
02-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Here's where I'm at with my build...

Cubano8
02-21-2006, 03:06 AM
Got the motors in today...

Cubano8
02-23-2006, 08:33 PM
This is where I'm at so far. The ESC is a CC-25, battery is a TP 2000 pro-lite 3s pack, motor is a Nippy 2510/114, prop 10x6.

results...

1/4 throttle- 4amps, 12.1volts, 50watts

1/2 throttle- 11.3amps, 12volts, 144watts

3/4 throttle- 16amps, 11volts, 177watts

full throttle- 25amps, 10.4volts, 264watts

K CLOSE
03-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Cuban8,
Just wondering how the build is going? Also, why the hatch into the center pod?
Good Luck!

Cubano8
03-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Cuban8,
Just wondering how the build is going? Also, why the hatch into the center pod?
Good Luck!
The hatch in the center pod is to access the retract and the steering servo.
I did finish the P-38, and flew it too. The maiden flight was good, but the 1/8" carbon fiber rods, I used for the LG, did not hold out, and broke at the mechanism.
I am in the process of re-working the retracts, and should be able to get the P-38 back in the air by next week.

Here's what I used on my setup that's not listed on the manual:

Elevator throw: 3/8" both ways
Aileron throw: 1/2" both ways
CG: 70mm from leading edge next to center pod

CorsairJock
03-19-2006, 01:42 PM
I have been keeping an eye on these (Nitroplanes) P-38s also. One of the things that bothered me from the ads: national markings were on the top of BOTH wings. I e-mailed them and found out (fortunately) that the decals are not installed.

Other than that, looks like a nice size, ESPECIALLY for the PRICE. But what I have been wondering: does it look to be possible to install a set of retracts in it? Maybe '20 ~ 40' size?
That would be the cat's meow!

BTW, contra-rotating prop set (pair) is available from Todd's Hobbies:
http://www.toddsmodels.com/Props/propsother.htm
AND, Master Airscrew makes some 3 blade props in both versions (tractor and pusher), including 9 x 7

Doppelganger
03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
The pics from Cubano8 above show retracts.

Steve

Cubano8
03-27-2006, 03:40 AM
Here's a link to the video of the P-38. Enjoy:)

http://www.ercflight.com/p38786.wmv

Doppelganger
03-27-2006, 06:04 AM
That was very enjoyable! Nice choreographing too. Oh yeah, nice plane too!:D

Steve

Sky Sharkster
03-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Hey, guys, great job! Man, that video came out nice. Looks like it flys good. Any problem trimming it out? How much "down" did it need inverted? What throttle setting were you using for normal flight?
Ron

CorsairJock
03-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Looks like you did the contra-rotating props thing: it looked like the right engine was spinning clockwise from the front.
Only thing is tho: I believe P-38s had them orientated opposite to yours. In other words: the right engine spins counter clockwise from the front, left engine spins clockwise from front. Not had to change, if you want to.

Cubano8
03-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks,

My friend Tim was the one flying, while I was videoing. On Initial straight and level flight, no trimming was needed, but Inverted, He said he needed to add alot of down elevator to keep it level. I'm going to shift the CG a bit, and see what happens.

Sam

Cubano8
03-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Looks like you did the contra-rotating props thing: it looked like the right engine was spinning clockwise from the front.
Only thing is tho: I believe P-38s had them orientated opposite to yours. In other words: the right engine spins counter clockwise from the front, left engine spins clockwise from front. Not had to change, if you want to.

Good point, I can easily change that, with the brushless motors, and switch the props.

Thanks

rcers
03-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Yes it was an odd bird in the regard. Originally the props spun the "right" direction, and they had major issues (my HS aviation teacher flew one in the war!). They reversed the spinning and it ceased.

Too cool.

Great video BTW!

Mike

Glacier Girl
03-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Cubano8,
Nicely done. You've made me go ahead and order one.
On your retracts, mechanical or air, and which brand did you use?
Also what size wheels?

Cubano8
03-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Cubano8,
Nicely done. You've made me go ahead and order one.
On your retracts, mechanical or air, and which brand did you use?
Also what size wheels?

Thank you,

I used the mechanic retracts. The nose is the Robart #602:
http://www.robart.com/retracts/2-5lb.aspx

The mains I used a pair of .40 mech retracts size that came off of an ARF, from another kit that I didn't used them on.

Hobby Lobby has some nice light weight retracts:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/landinggear.htm

The TTR3006 .30 superlite retract and the .40 size too. This was going to be my choice, but after looking at my pile of mech retracts that I had, I decided to try the ones that I had 1st.
The wheels I used are the same ones that came with the P-38.

Good luck on the build, If you need anything else let me know.

Glacier Girl
03-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Hmmm.
I may go the air route. Will save the hassle of hooking up and setting up 3 servos. Not cheap though, somewhere in the area of $150.00 for the system, last time I looked. Kit is around 3 oz total weight.
I used a 2 gear version on my Stang and they worked out well.

Which servos did you use for the control surfaces?
Would Hitec 81's be ok to use?

Cubano8
03-29-2006, 01:11 AM
Hmmm.
I may go the air route. Will save the hassle of hooking up and setting up 3 servos. Not cheap though, somewhere in the area of $150.00 for the system, last time I looked. Kit is around 3 oz total weight.
I used a 2 gear version on my Stang and they worked out well.

Which servos did you use for the control surfaces?
Would Hitec 81's be ok to use?

Cool, post some pics when you complete it.

The Elevator is on an Hitec 81, and the ailerons (two servos needed), are Hitec 55.

The Instructions call for two servos for the elevator, but I only used the one HS-81.

There is no rudder, unless you modify it.

Grasshopper
03-29-2006, 05:02 AM
Great job Cubano8!! What a good looking bird. Gotta love the Talking Heads music too!

Cubano8
03-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Great job Cubano8!! What a good looking bird. Gotta love the Talking Heads music too!

Thanks Grasshopper, I'm glad you enjoyed it:)

qban_flyer
03-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Great looking machine. Great flying video too! :)

Gliderbill
04-03-2006, 06:13 AM
Hi to all P-38 lovers! I'm building the 40" Guillows (rubber power) kit but putting in e-power. The AOW should top out around 16-18 ozs. Not putting in LG but will attach landing wires, (skids), under the gondola and the motors. Just enough to clear the 3-bladed props. A 38 looks "goofy" with the gear down! Haven't finalized the motors yet but will start out with a pair of brushed, (geared). Any suggestions about motors will be appreciated! By the way, if you want scale rotation, Lockheed finalized on "outboard" rotation at the top of the prop arc so that the propwash would go out over the outboard wing section to eliminate turbulence over the center section. I'm a volunteer at the Evergreen Air Museum here in McMinnville, (home of the Spruce Goose), and one of my chores is to keep the dust off of our Lightning. You could line up 6 P-38s atop the wing of the Goose and still have about 8' of wing left!

CorsairJock
04-03-2006, 01:51 PM
The rotation directions, BTW, did nothing to aid in an engine out situation, but they did cancel out torque and yaw forces, thereby making a plane that was more inclined to fly straight and level during take-off rolls and other high power/ low air speed manuvers.

I think it also added some lift during takeoffs, the underside of the wing center section (which have more area than outboard wings in prop wash areas) was subject to more prop-wash than the top side of the outer wings.

I seem to recall reading a srory about how they experimented with contra rotating props on the P-82 Twin Mustang design. They had difficulty taking off because the props were opposite of the P-38 arrangement. Thus, TOP of the center sections were subjected to more prop wash than the bottom of the outer wing sections.
Eventually, they (North American) decided to make both engines run same directions on the P-82, considering the experiment a failure.

Old Fart
04-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Did anyone ever figure out the weight? I have a pair of Esskay 400XT's I could use for this, or a HiMax 2808-980, or if it needs something a bit bigger?

Glacier Girl
04-03-2006, 08:58 PM
One of the ones done at RCG weighed 3 lbs. 5oz ready to fly. post # 138.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472891&page=10&pp=15

Old Fart
04-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Funny thing GG - I just read that post a half hour ago, didn't pick up on that at all (rainy day at LAX - I'm avoiding the airfield - leaves more time for "important aviation research" LOL)

53 oz seems a bit heavy for 200W, trying to remember the ROT for "scale warbird". I'm going to look up the wattage of the Microdan's that badbill is using and see how they compare.

rcers
04-03-2006, 09:05 PM
The rotation directions, BTW, did nothing to aid in an engine out situation, but they did cancel out torque and yaw forces, thereby making a plane that was more inclined to fly straight and level during take-off rolls and other high power/ low air speed manuvers.

I think it also added some lift during takeoffs, the underside of the wing center section (which have more area than outboard wings in prop wash areas) was subject to more prop-wash than the top side of the outer wings.

I seem to recall reading a srory about how they experimented with contra rotating props on the P-82 Twin Mustang design. They had difficulty taking off because the props were opposite of the P-38 arrangement. Thus, TOP of the center sections were subjected to more prop wash than the bottom of the outer wing sections.
Eventually, they (North American) decided to make both engines run same directions on the P-82, considering the experiment a failure.

But don't most counter rotating twins operation in opposite to the p-38???

I am pretty sure it was the ONLY counter rotating planes to spin the props "backwards" to other twins.

I know it was for odd stability issues with the p-38. My teacher who flew them, said they were NOT an easy plane to fly, and you had to be very careful not to drag the tail on takeoff! I guess they had some issues with that...

Too bad there are so few of these beauties left. My aviation teacher said he could have purchased his after the war for several hundred dollars. While that sounds cheap to us, he said it was a fair bit of money for the day. He said the real issue was the fuel/oil and runway length reqiured (it took more than his "local" airfield) kept him from that.

He (then) could have kicked himself knowing what he knew then (in the late 70's) that plane would have been worth 200K+. Now it would be more like 2mm+

O well.

Mike

Gliderbill
04-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Originally on the early model 322s, the props spun as on the model, but the buffetting over the inboard wing sections was thought to come from the prop rotation so they changed to just what you said, Corsair Jock; however, the real cause of the buffetting at high speed, (in a dive from over 25,000 ft), was the lack of a fillet at the wing root junction with the gondola. Wright field brass insisted that the tail "flutter" was caused by the lack of an elevator balance weight and insisted that Lockheed add the two weights which are seen on the elevator even tho' there were counterbalances inside of the vertical stabs. Kelly Johnson was against the addition but they were put on anyway.

Glacier Girl
04-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Well my air retracts showed up today, yikes the price went up. They are now $300.00. Oh well, they are pretty, all aluminum, and the whole set up is just a hair under 3 oz.

CUBANO8, got any shots of the retract set up in yours, like inside views?
I'm thinking of moving the nose gear back, so it's not coming out of the nose cone.

Cubano8
04-25-2006, 02:29 AM
Well my air retracts showed up today, yikes the price went up. They are now $300.00. Oh well, they are pretty, all aluminum, and the whole set up is just a hair under 3 oz.

CUBANO8, got any shots of the retract set up in yours, like inside views?
I'm thinking of moving the nose gear back, so it's not coming out of the nose cone.

I'll take pics of the inside tomorrow , and post it.

Glacier Girl
04-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Cool, thanks a bunch.

K CLOSE
04-25-2006, 04:42 PM
I took a slightly diffrent angle on this build then Cuban8 and Glacier Girl. I've had mine ready to fly for a while, but have not had a moment when time-weather came together right yet. I built mine w/o gear as a belly lander, as light and as cheaply as I could. The set up is two new BP21 motors and speed controls I picked up at the WRAM show (about $80 for all). They make about 20 oz of thrust each on 8x4's. AUW is 50 oz ( I borrowed a scale large enough for this plane. In my world of GWS stuff it's a huge plane). With the two Art-Tec 2200 11.1 lipo's (about $100) in the motor support boxes no added weight was needed to balance out nicely. To my mind a P-38 of this scale for about $300 total is a pretty good deal. I have to go to AZ this week, but once I get back I hope to fly it. I'll post the results for any other cheapskates out there like me, even if it goes poorly. Cheers.

Cubano8
04-26-2006, 03:30 AM
here are the insides

Cubano8
05-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Now look what they've done!
www.nitroplanes.com/prpli52twena.html

Old Fart
05-01-2006, 08:27 PM
LOL, at 11 lbs it will take all of our batteries - at once :)

Cubano8
05-01-2006, 08:35 PM
LOL, at 11 lbs it will take all of our batteries - at once :)

With the prices of Li-po's going down
http://home.comcast.net/~truerc/custompack.htm

...or those new Milwaukee Li-on's
Might not be too bad:)

Glacier Girl
05-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Oh, I can hear my credit card screaming already.
Definetly going to need a BIG park to fly that puppy.

K CLOSE
05-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Hi all, The BP motors worrked great. The set up flew with real authority, and slowed nicely for landings. I recomend this set up to anyone who want's a really nice set up for not a lot of money. EXCEPT-for the first time ever I had a glitch with a GWS receiver. Plane went out of control about 60' up and spiraled into the ground completely unresponsive. Total loss, except for maybe some servos...:( Bad day

Sky Sharkster
05-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi Kelly, Sorry to hear about the P-38, after following the thread I felt like it was my plane that crashed! Hope it's not as bad as it sounds, sometimes after looking at the pieces later it becomes "repairable".
I tend to use the "heavy duty" RX's on larger planes, just have had bad luck with single-conversion lightweights. Any of the FMA's, Hitec Electron, etc are my choices.
Are the motors OK?
Ron

Glacier Girl
05-30-2006, 02:26 AM
Bummer on the loss.
I maidened mine today, went with a similar set up as yours. Used the Tower Pro 9 Y's, spinning couter rotating 9x7 3 blades. Only pulling 9.1 amps per motor, so bigger props are an option. Still though came out just under 4 pounds, ready to fly, and it's putting out almost 1:1 power as is.
4 Hitec 55's on the ailerons, and elevator, one to operate the air retracts, and a Hitec 81 to run the steering. 2 TP 3S2100 PL's under the main canopy provided lots of run time. Very stable in the air, and take offs and landings were pretty much uneventful. Only change I made after the flight was to switch back to the stock nose gear as the one that came with the retracts kept wanting to give to much and would scrub the nose wheel badly on sharp turns. Am considering switching out the stock foam tires for something a little stonger, as they tend to compress a lot.
Other then that was very happy.
Now on to the 91" version. LOL

Whoops one other thing. Have to repaint it to copy my namesake "Glacier Girl"

K CLOSE
05-30-2006, 06:01 AM
No, the motors are mangeled. I'm sure they could be fixed, but they were $12.00- it's the speed controlers I'm hopeing are ok. It really did fly sweetly, and I didn't bother with counter rotating props. I have not looked at it since the wreck, in fact it's still in the back seat of the car I drove that day. I really enjoy flying, it's just sometimes I feel like I'm starting from scratch and not making any headway. Well at least I like to build, it's just that now it's time to launch the boat and prep the Bonniville, not building time----that was when it was cold dam it.

Grasshopper
06-25-2006, 06:01 AM
Hi Kelly, good luck with the Lightning!! Keep us posted. I'm ordering one next month, still paying off Holiday bills.
Regarding the powerplants, I'd suggest 2 AXI 2800 series, maybe the 2808/16's. Also the new E-Flight .20 glow size. I'll get a better idea after I see the model(and weigh it!). It's my understanding that you can't use 1 ESC for two Brushless motors, they get out-of-phase and won't run right. Threads I've read say you need two matched motors/ESCs but can be run off 1 battery. I may go with two separate systems, motor, battery, ESC, in each boom if it fits. I've also heard Aero-Model sells matching Hacker motors with one ESC, you could give them a call to check.
The counter-rotating motors are not a problem mechanically, just switch 2 leads. The problem is finding reverse-thrust (right-hand pitch, or clockwise rotation, take your pick) props. Grish used to make several glow sizes, maybe they still do. It sure would be nice to avoid torque problems, plus it would be scale!!
Let us know hot the P-38 looks, I, for one, am very interested!
Ron

Hey Ron,

Did you ever get your P-38? I've ordered one and I'd be interested to see how you set yours up?

Tom

Bill G
06-25-2006, 06:40 AM
Oh, I can hear my credit card screaming already.
Definetly going to need a BIG park to fly that puppy.

...and a good bankruptcy lawyer. People in this hobby can't have credit cards.:eek:

It works like this: You buy a plane, but still need the motors. The financially irresponsible hobbyist, like me, buys the motors the very next week, with money that should be used to get caught up on things. The hobbyist with the credit card doesn't even have to wait for next week's paycheck, he buys the motors NOW!:eek: And a whole bunch of other stuff too.

Sky Sharkster
06-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Hi Tom, no, I didn't get the "Lightning", was planning to but some other home matters cut into my "fun" money! Sigh. Maybe later, it's a decent price for the ARF, but as Bill G says, then you need the motors, ESC's, etc.
So, let me get this straight...after you charge something on a credit card, you still actually have to pay for it? Why is that?
Ron

Grasshopper
06-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi Tom, no, I didn't get the "Lightning", was planning to but some other home matters cut into my "fun" money! Sigh. Maybe later, it's a decent price for the ARF, but as Bill G says, then you need the motors, ESC's, etc.
So, let me get this straight...after you charge something on a credit card, you still actually have to pay for it? Why is that?
Ron
Uh..Oh.........I think I may be in trouble then. I thought it was free money.

Bill G
06-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Ron

I had to say no too. I saw it and said "I gotta have that"! No Bill, no, no, you're already flat broke and will have to cancel your car inspection next week, if you can't pay for it. It is really nice looking. I wanted the Hobby Lobby P38, but the cost was high. This one really grabbed my attention. Probably more than any ARF in months. Still like to have a P38. Well I finished this recently. Kinda like a P38, so I guess I'll still have something similar. Well, not exactly, but close enough.

Glacier Girl
06-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Oh heck, do what I do, work 2 jobs, #1 pays the household stuff, #2 is for the birds. LOL
Or do what I used to do. "Let's see if I skip lunch this week and drink water instead of sodas, eat P/B sandwiches for supper, I can swing the new motors."

I have the 90" version on the way.

Grasshopper
06-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Yep, just as soon as I know it's on its way, I'll be ordering the receiver and power systems. I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rcflierjs
07-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Today was the second and third flight on my p-38. The first flight was with the recomended 400T outrunners with APC 8X4 props. It was ok but a little slow for my liking. I decided to jump up on the props and put on a pair of 8X6s but that burned up one of the motors on the bench. Next I put on a pair of E-flight 450s they call for a 9X6 prop but I went with the 8X6s that I already had. Wow what a difference, good speed, good vertical but I just have to try the 9X6s anyway so next trip to the hobby shop I will pick up a couple. Now a little info on my setup. Two e-flight 450s Two e-flight 20amp speed controlers two generic 2000 mah three cell lipos total all up weight 3.5 pounds. I would recomend useing the two servos on the eleviator, if ypu dont the eliverator will flex under pressure creating off center loops. I know because of experiance.

Good luck and have fun

Bill G
07-04-2006, 05:58 PM

I think we should just tie him up and bomb him with orange spray paint. Now you see what our planes look like buddy....

They're actually starting to make them in black, finally. It's probably a marketing gimmick. Makes us buy them whether we need them or not, since they limit the supply.
Some other company is making a GWS knock-off prop that I've seen in blue. Better than orange, and slightly stronger plastic.

Old Fart
07-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm asking the ground support folks here at the airport to paint all the jetprops orange, so GWS can clame it's "scale" :)

Don Sims
07-05-2006, 06:36 PM
LOL what a great idea Old Fart!

Old Fart
07-05-2006, 06:41 PM
I showed the build manual for my Formosa to one of the American Eagle mechanics (trying to convert him to the Dark Side of electrics from glow), I can't repeat his exact comment.

Something to the effect of he'd rather puke and fly nitro if he had to run an orange prop :)

Waiting on my buddy to finish his E-Flite "Airliner", going to try and get OPS to let me put it next to a "real" 777 long enough to snap a picture.

noodles2fly
07-06-2006, 01:32 PM
:rolleyes: HELLO RON, SINCE I AM A NOVICE AT THIS AIRPLANE STUFF. I THOUGHT I WOULD ASK YOU A QUESTION. WHAT IS A A 38 LIGHTING ARF?? ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE A SHOW/CONTEST THIS YEAR. I HOPE I DIDN'T MISS IT.. NOODLES:eek:

Nobert
07-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Noodles
ARF-Almost Ready to Fly. Check out www.nitroplanes.com (http://www.nitroplanes.com) and look at the pictures of their P-38. They show you how it comes packaged.
Hope this helps.
Neal

Ah Clem
07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
"Originally on the early model 322s, the props spun as on the model, but the buffetting over the inboard wing sections was thought to come from the prop rotation so they changed to just what you said".

The model 322 (Lightning I,if memory serves), was intended to be a export version of the P-38 for the R.A.F.
It was built with both props turning the same direction (i.e. not counter-rotating) as specified by the British, who did not want the complexity of stocking two sets of spare motors. It was also built without the G.E. turbosuperchargers as the U.S. Government would not release them or the British did not want them (depending on which reference source you choose to believe).

The model 322's were rejected by the British due to poor performance without the superchargers. The majority of the remained in the United States and were used for training as they were not combat worthy.

If you want to see a model 322 in action, watch the old MGM film "A Guy Named Joe". In the sequence where Van Johnson is doing low level aerobatics, you can actually see that the turbosuperchargers are not present in some of the shots (freeze the picture for a moment). The sound track is of the normal Lightning with the turbos. The footage is mixed in with other (normal) P-38s (F's or G's, I believe) in various scenes.

Both engines on the P-38 were "critical" engines (i.e. the direction of rotation the opposite of normal for a counter-rotating twin) due to turbulance created by the center pod and washing back over the tail. The only P-38 which had both engines turning inward was the XP-38.

I just picked up one of the Raidentech P-38's and am very appreciative of all of the information by those who posted above. The quality of the ARF kit is very good.

Thank you all for the information on the model.

ForestCam
07-06-2006, 11:21 PM
It was also built without the G.E. turbosuperchargers as the U.S. Government would not release them or the British did not want them (depending on which reference source you choose to believe).

The model 322's were rejected by the British due to poor performance without the superchargers. The majority of the remained in the United States and were used for training as they were not combat worthy.

I'd heard that there was an explosive device onboard that was supposed to destroy the super/turbocharger in the event of a crash to keep them from falling into enemy hands.

I've also heard that the British nicknamed the 322 "the castrated lightning". :D

noodles2fly
07-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Wow, That Is A Lot Of Great Historical Information.. Thanks Noodles

noodles2fly
09-10-2006, 03:54 PM
HELLO FOLKS, MY BROTHER AND I WERE AT THE ARVADA, COLO. AIRSHOW YESTERDAY. WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO UPLOAD PHOTOS.. CAN YOU HELP OUT. THANKS NOODLES2FLY..

guapoman2000
11-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Here's a link to the video of the P-38. Enjoy:)

http://www.ercflight.com/p38786.wmv

Well, the link no longer works for whatever reason......I did find the same video over at the "OTHER" Web Site discussion this fine P-38 Model at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497203#post5242789

pizzano
11-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Well, the link no longer works for whatever reason......I did find the same video over at the "OTHER" Web Site discussion this fine P-38 Model at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497203#post5242789

Thanks guapo......after 9 years...... I'd hope there would be another link to something related to the P-38 interesting.........;)