PDA

View Full Version : Topflite Stinson Electric

BBS
02-02-2006, 06:41 PM
I am considering building the SR9 Giant Scale from Topflite and putting an AXI on the front of it. The new 5330 series should do the job I believe. The finished plane should come in at around 18 to 20 Lbs. max. If I do it right.

Any ideas on the power to weight ratio per prop sizes and wattage, battery lipo configurations, etc., etc.. Electrics are new to me but have built dozens of scale glo rc aircraft over the last 30 years. Getting ready to put an Airtronics Acro-Star(1972 Kit) (Electric) in the air next month. This kit completed at 7.5 lbs. Would welcome any advice.

BBS

E-Challenged
02-05-2006, 05:52 PM
I just finished a 42" w/s Stinson Reliant from an old Berkeley kit. Recommend you get on E-Zone scale electric and power systems sections to get advice on best AXI size and prop , Lipo packs, etc. Ailerons on mine were ineffective due to small size, small deflection, too much dihederal and not enough down and right thrust. I plan to fly with Rudder as primary turn control with ailerons slaved to rudder instead of vice versa. Also try RC Universe for advice from those who have flown your model on IC or electric.:)

Update, my Stinson was grossly nose heavy at balance point shown on plans. It is now turning on rudder or ailerons or mixed. Will nest increase wing incidence to "free flight" angle and it should fly easily and scale-like.

lipper
12-27-2006, 04:51 PM
BBS check out the November 2006 issue of QUIET FLYER. They did a review of the gaint scale TF Reliant and it will answer all of your questions.