PDA

View Full Version : Fix loose stator in inrunner motor

constantCrash
01-03-2009, 06:18 PM
I was sold a parkzone stryker C inrunner that has the stator (part with magnets) loose on the drive shaft so it just spins instead of spinning the driveshaft. I didn't notice this until I attempted to fly it in a plane.

Other than the loose stator the motor seems fine. Is there a way to fix this? will thin CA work? This is my only inrunner motor.

picktures attached.

Twmaster
01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
I'd try Loctite (the red permanent kind) before CA. Although in all honesty that motor is trash at this point.

constantCrash
01-03-2009, 08:08 PM
that's what I figured would be said. I'm trying CA (don't have red locktite handy) The motor goes in my super cub which has been to that bad place and back so many times now that it dosn't care anymore. If it works for a while I'll consider it a success. If not, then it's not an earth shattering loss.

Twmaster
01-03-2009, 08:45 PM
CA does not like heat. I wouldn't use CA.

groundrushesup
01-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I second the red Loctite. You might get a few more spins out of this one but I reckon that it will eventually fail again and in a much more spectcular fashion.

constantCrash
01-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I'll pick up some red locktite tomorrow.

Bill G
01-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Yes CA doesn't like heat. It is a bit different if the shaft is inserted with interference. Even if the CA degrades from heat, whatever it turns into is still in there under pressure. I applied a layer of very thin CA over a loose shaft and then pressed it into the rotor magnet, after the CA was hard. It went in very tight and has ran a while in an EDF. If the CA is not extremely thin, it will just scrape off the shaft when you insert it. Scuffing the shaft with fine sandpaper first helps with the glue bond.