PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Magpie AP

aviatordave
02-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Here is my solution for a forward facing camera on an airplane similiar to the MM Magpie AP. I own the magpie and really like it but... there are a couple things I would change on it though.....

I dont have a problem with the side facing camera, it has its place, but so does a forward facing camera.

I think on certain days I would like the magpie to fly slower, and land slower.

The landing gear is a little flimsy on the magpie, its works...but I would just like something more durable.

Below are some pictures of what I have come up with. I made the body slightly longer than the Magpie and added a wing with undercamber and approx 600 square in of wing area.

The beauty of it all is that I can use either wing on each airplane depending on slow or fast flight, forward or side mounted camera. Yes I know.....it would be better to have 1 AP rig that does all of this, but since I already had the Magpie it doesnt matter anymore (to me).

So I'm willing to listen to any constructive criticism, it cant hurt.

I plan to power the craft with a Himax 2025-4200 6.6:1 with a CC25. I've had good luck with this motor/gearbox. When I get sick of it I will convert to an outrunner. Right now I just have the prop sitting there to give you an idea of the clearance it will have

Here is a movie of the camera mounts movement, it has about 70 degrees of movement.

camera mount (http://media.putfile.com/cam-mount)

-Dave

(I'll post the final pics when I finish this thing!) (I also posted the same info at the 'other' place)

Kosh
02-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Nice work Dave, Great use of CF and keeping the camera close to CG. About the only thing I would change is the wheels. The 3" ultra lites allow for ROG and landing just about anywhere. What prop are you going to run on that setup?

Well done, Kosh

aviatordave
02-09-2006, 12:40 AM
Kosh,
Ya..I plan on using 3" lites. All I had at the time were those small ones that came with the magpie kit. I had luck with my magpie running the himax 2025-4200 6.6:1 gb and a 12 x 8e APC prop. It pulls 17 amps WOT and has plenty of authority. I'm not sure if I will have to prop down with that draggy wing.....what do you think?
-Dave
(I got a go-daddy account after hearing you had good success with your website, its alot of work making a website though!)

Kosh
02-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Have same motor and gearbox turning a 11x7 on a 35 ounce SS. My MagpieAP runs MP Jet red motor spinning a 10x7. Im sure you can prop down a little and save some amps, Try 3 or 4 in the air and see how much power you really need to get out of a tough spot. If it glides really well you may even think about a folding prop? If you need some help on your new site let me know? Theres also some great freeware programs for HTML and thumbnail galleries. Take your time, have fun with your site and post it when you get it up please.

Kudos, Kosh

Steve Nolan (eBird)
02-09-2006, 03:39 AM
Very nice, I like it.

May have to go fire up the hot wire cutter... :)

Ira
02-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Sweet. Only thing I noticed, and not to nit pick. The camera tilt hinges at the bottom and leens forward. This may change your C.G. too much if done in flight. If possable you want to hing at the cameras center of balance.

aviatordave
02-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Sweet. Only thing I noticed, and not to nit pick. The camera tilt hinges at the bottom and leens forward. This may change your C.G. too much if done in flight. If possable you want to hing at the cameras center of balance.

Yes Ira, I gave that some thought also...mostly after I finished it :rolleyes: ...but I havent got a downlink (yet..) so any adjustments to the angle will be made on the ground and offset by battery location to keep the CG. When I do get a downlink and I want to adjust the angle inflight I will have to re-engineer that mount to keep the camera on the same spot for CG purposes.

Looks like I'll have plenty of time to finish this plane, the weather just gets nastier and nastier each day....I dont think Spring will ever get here. Somebody should have shot that groundhog on Feb. 2 :D

-Dave

Ira
02-17-2006, 03:07 AM
Don't feel bad the only reason I noticed is from doing the same thing on my stress fest,(Raptor 50 heli) before getting the buggs worked out. The weather also sucks here. Just finished a Magpie AP build and am chomp'in to test fly but as I post this it is 28 degrees and blowing 32 mph. And then there is that darn employment thing.

nakelp86
02-27-2006, 02:27 AM
Dave
great idea with the cam.
I am stealing your idea to put it on my Pinky :-)) whether you like it or not hehehe.
I hope you tested the plane already.
I see a little problem with the LG placement. It will be a very tippy since sits almost on CG.
What do U think?

aviatordave
02-27-2006, 02:55 AM
Hey Nakel,

Its kind of an optical illusion from the angle I took the pictures at. I made the landing gear with a forward sweep to try to avoid those nasty nose overs. Here is a picture of the side....whatcha think?

-Dave

(steal away...I stole ideas from your Magpie! :p )

nakelp86
02-27-2006, 03:05 AM
Hmm I guess that shoud do the trick :-)
I have CF LG with forward angle but Im affraid it wont be enough.
But Im have a new idea making a brace which will put it even more up front. It may just work will see.
The good thing about my LG is that is 15" span I guess thats more than enough not to get into lens view on level flight. will have to test it with a gimbal mount (askman).

nakelp86
03-05-2006, 09:54 PM
My MagAPie will get new wings soon.
12"root tapered to 10" span 32 (64") hollow wing.
And here is the latest creation :-)

aviatordave
03-06-2006, 04:22 AM
cool wings.....you should post the rest (body) of it here for everyone to see...taking orders yet?

nakelp86
03-06-2006, 04:28 AM
darn tried larger pix didnt work.
I will post more when its done :-)
hehehe no orders yet

aviatordave
03-06-2006, 04:43 AM
ya...this resizing thing kinda bums me too. But I hear they are fixing it soon. What date(s) you got projected to finish this bird?