PDA

View Full Version : Retracts on a .40 size AT6 Texan

Doppelganger
02-04-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm going to electricute this plane. http://www.kmp.ca/rcpics/texan/texanpicspecs.htm
I'd like to add retracts but I'm not very knowledgeable in that area. I didn't want to spend hundreds. Was hoping for an inexpensive option. I got this plane very very cheap. $150.00
dont want to pay more for retracts than I paid for the plane.:D

Steve

Dereck
02-04-2006, 09:04 PM
I'll 'fess up to not knowing about retracts, but I have done a lot of intensive testing of undercarriages on 6lb + electrics :eek:All of it was on fuselage mounted fixed gear taildraggers - a sideline item that was well proved was that if you hit fast enough and hard enough, the model doesn't necessarily suffer much damage other than where the gear is ripped off the fuselage. However, the model and the gear can end up in very different locations when it all stops bouncing.So, first thing I'd suggest is making sure that the wing mounts for the mains are really good and solid. If you do, perish the thought!, suffer a slightly over-enthusiatic arrival that's out of parameters, I'd imagine that your wings could get sort-of ripped to very small pieces if a gear unit gets ripped out.Of course, that could never happen in reality - the BARF industry would never make anything so cheap and shoddy as a defective landing gear mount :rolleyes:As to gear, you can ask around and take a chance on something cheap or go somewhere like Robart that's had a little time in the game. Be a nice model, whatever.BTW - I once got to fly a T-6 back in England. Well, it's a Harvard when it's got RAF roundels on it. 100-odd inches span and a five jug fourbanger radial - the owner insisted I needed to fly a large model, and that was when it was not so much large as HUGE! Anyway, off I go, suck up the gear, cruise around some, having fun. The owner suggests I should loop it - at the inverted, it lazily snap-rolled off the top on me. Then I realised the whole lot of them are standing behind me smirking and laughing. Found out later, one of them had learned to fly on Harvards shortly before getting a gig on Spitfires in WW2. One of his flying tales, well-known by the lot watching, was that anything that looks anything like a T6 will snap off the top of a loop if you go over too slow - they were waiting for the new hotshot (I'd only just moved to their area) to snap off a loop with this monster.So, when you first loop your new T6 - don't mess around going slow on the way up!RegardsDereck

Doppelganger
02-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks Dereck. I decided not to buy the Texan from my Bro. I wanted a different color scheme. So he bought it back from me. Real nice guy. Anyway, I'm going to order the Graupner Harvard during their next sale.
Retracts are included. Hopefully they are quality.:rolleyes:

Steve

Dereck
02-04-2006, 11:27 PM
http://www.hobbyhobby.com/airplanes/products/gpm/Kit%20ARF%20Descriptions/AT-6%20Texan%2040-GPMA1245.htmCame up from Google, maybe the GP website has more...GP models always work well, but no-one there can spell 'weight'... I'd be a lot happier finding a kit and using it as a set of templates.Graupner used to be absolutely top drawer - they were making the best kits in Europe when most of the GP staff were drooling over a feeding bottle. Of course, not sure what the German BARF industry is like...I always thought the neatest of GP's warbirds kits was one that hung around but a couple of years - their T6 model kit modified to resemble the "real" T6s modified to look like 'Japanese' fighters in the last Pearl Harbour movie.Amazing now that something the size of Great Planes had that level of wanting to do something different, when you look at how their cookie-cutter range goes now...RegardsDereck