PDA

View Full Version : Building brushless cost efficient?

banthony
01-13-2009, 11:43 PM
I have been looking at brushless motors and trying to understand the components and working parts. Is it cheaper to build your own (if you know what you're doing) or buy them?

Murocflyer
01-14-2009, 02:56 AM
I don't know if it is cost efficient or not. Is Scratchbuilding planes cost efficient? I think it's a matter of interest and desire. And it's fun. That's why folks do it I'm sure.

I found this:

Brushless Kits
Imagine an ideal motor that was matched perfectly to not only your plane, but also matched your flying style. It played nice with the capabilities of your battery pack and speed controller so you didn't have to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on more hardware, and could be optimized and tailored to match your specific plane.

It could be upgraded and repaired. Modified and rebuilt. All by you.

Now imagine that motor being inexpensive to the point that you could put one in every plane you own, or even build multiple motors for a single plane that you could swap out based on your flying mood.

If that doesn't convince you, how about the thrill of building a high-performance brushless outrunner with your own two hands and seeing it not only run, but fly your plane better than a motor several times the price?

That's the advantage of GB's DIY brushless kits.

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=diy+brushless+kits

Frank

kaindub
01-14-2009, 07:31 AM
banthony
the answer to your question is that it is not cheaper to wind your own.
(Its the same with planes, its cheaper to buy an ARF than the kit)
The question then is why do people do it?
1 The satisfaction of making something yourself. That explains why there are so many plane scratch builders still out there.
2 You can use one or two kits and get a whole range of motors (Kv, speed , prop). If you make a wind and find it does not suit your plane, rewwind it and make it better.
3 You can tailor the motor tou your plane
4 I find that since I can get tighter tolerance than production motors, my motors are smaller and more efficient.

I recommend anyone to try winding a motor. A little practice; there is plenty of information on RC Groups and the kit supplier websites (not the hobby outlets)

ron_van_sommeren
01-14-2009, 12:42 PM
DIY motors can have a higher efficiency due to cramming more copper in the motor, too time consuming for a manufacturer.
DIY motor building will give you a much better understanding of e-flight and electrickery in general!

Motorbuilding_101
www.gobrushless.com (http://www.gobrushless.com/)
-> basic overview (1->5)

Motor building tips and tricks, may save you from frying your controller:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240993

Vriendelijke groeten ;) Ron

flydiver
01-14-2009, 05:07 PM
You can take a relatively inexpensive motor and make it better (sometimes-depends on the motor). Some of the most expensive motors are awful to re-wind, they are all glued together.
The satisfaction and understanding of motors are the main points. I know much more about motors than my flying budding that have been flying YEARS longer and fly WAY better.

E-Challenged
06-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Some guys get carried away with charger technology, some go nuts testing motor/battery/prop combos and developing complicated graphs and comparison charts, some enjoy customizing PC's, then there are the aerodynamicists who try to explain and argue about model phenomena with long winded full-scale aerodynamic engineering theory. We still aren't sure where the moon came from or what actually makes motors spin. Now we have "Dark Matter" and the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. I'm just a simple model builder and flyer and am fair at TLAR technology.

parrot pilot
06-29-2009, 02:53 PM
I was curious about building motors also; finding this post reminds me why I don't need to.
LOL Can I get an amen! EC hit the proverbial nail on the head! This is why this hobby appeals to so many different people. Some build just to build, some build just to fly, and so on...
I've read a post or two that said "I just make the wing look like a wing; and it seems to work out for me"; probably not good advice for serious speed flying. Me, I love to build things that might not fly just for the fun of seeing if it will or not! I prefer low cost, a little slow, and fairly predictable. (I like my planes like my women...)
Dan

AEAJR
07-20-2009, 06:58 PM
I don't build motors, so take my comments in that context.

Why build?

Education - you like to learn

Design - you want to design your own so first you work with kits or other people's designs.

Competition - Once you learn, and you play with some designs you can start to create unique designs that will give you a competitive edge in power, weight, or some other factor.

Business - You are never going to compete with the mass producers for "standard" designs. However custom designs are different IF there is the need. Special sizes, shapes, power combos could find a market.

New breakthroughs - If you have the inventor in your soul, then once you see how others have done it, you can find new ways, new approaches. This could lead to pattents and whole new businessess.

All kinds of reasons to build your own stuff. But saving to create standard type motors is not likely one of them.

And don't forget that a brushless motor is useless without a brushless speed control. These are essentially little computers. In some cases you can buy standard brushless motors for under $20, then have to buy a $40 ESC to go with it.

Maybe you want to come up with a better way to make ESCs. ;)

Ling
07-26-2009, 07:05 AM
I think it's no need to do this