PDA

View Full Version : new forum, new plane, new questions.

wobbles99
02-05-2006, 12:32 AM
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and kind of stumbled on it during a google search. I'm hoping someone can help me. I have just picked up a parkzone J3 cub as my first plane. I'm not totally new to actual aircraft and flight and have a few friends who are in to gas powered R/C. The problem I have is after assembling the cub I have noticed that the wing is slightly canted. The fuselage seems to be the problem as the two halves aren't completely level on the top. My question is what should I do to correct the situation? Is there something I can use that would shim the low side? Also there are a few small dents in the wing from transport, is there a way of fixing these?It's purely cosmetic. I would imagine they shouldn't effect the flight characteristics and I'm sure there will be a few more after the first flight (which I'm planning for tommorrow.) Thanks

nimitz
02-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Hi,Welcome..The cub will make you a great flyer.Shim the low side with almost anything light weight material.Fold a piece of napkin or paper or if you have sticky foam like you seal a window with,use that. The cosmetic places. Use clear tape if you want.Hobby shops have the sticky foam.

Launch her straight out,full throttle and let her climb up a safe distant before using your sticks.Do not overcontrol. a small input goes a long way.Takes about 15 or 20 foot before she`ll get wing lift,then happy flying.

Some of these other flyers can give better advice than me..Good you`re aboard..regards,nimitz:)

Have fun whatever you do.

wobbles99
02-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks. What about this trainer mode they have programmed in? it doesn't go into detail in the manual or the web site. What exactly does it do?

nimitz
02-05-2006, 01:39 AM
Don`t know whether I can safely answer that one or not. Tne modes determine how much throw you have on the rudder and elevater.The way it comes from the lhs is for newbe flyers and for experenced flyers they can change it over to the other mode for more throw.

I`m between a newbe and a experenced flyer[3 years flying,still learning].I`d suggest leaving it in the safer mode as It is quite touchie on the sticks anywho.They`re a tough bird tho. i`ve been flying one since they came out.wrecked with not too much damage, nosed straight in,buried rubber cone in mud,cleaned her off and went back to flying.
She`s quick on the death spiral,tho.[too much rudder and not enough speed]

Come on fellas help me and him out here..

Happy flying,nimitz

wobbles99
02-05-2006, 01:54 AM
the reason I ask is because I noticed while testing the electronics that if you move the rudder the elevator moves up as well. Is it becuase of this mode or do I have issues. I also notice that with the rim in the middle the elevator is slightly up. I would imagine this is where you want it to be. Thanks again.

nimitz
02-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Good morning, this is as it should be. It helps a new pilot to keep the plane level in a turn.It is also nice to have a little up elevater to keep it climbing on takeoff. You can change these configurations as you get more experence. have a good weekend.

regards,nimitz

have fun,whatever you do:)

alienx
02-13-2006, 12:01 AM
I can't believe my first post here will be advice, but think of it as sharing my experience instead. I am as brand new as you, and after finally pulling the trigger on this hobby (thought about it since I was a kid), I got the PZ J3 Cub too. I skydived most of my adult life because I couldn't afford to learn to fly. So I really wanted a general aviation plane for my first. This parkzone one seemed like the best combo, all things considered. Incidentally, my first skydive was out of a C206. But there was a beautiful yellow cub on the field.

I hate to admit this here because I'm sure I will be "that kook" from here on out, but I flew by myself on the maiden flight. Just read what I could find on the web, and in the instruction manual. My maiden flight was 38 seconds. Got a nice video too!

Here's the advice part. Fly in a GIANT field!!!!! What has caused me problems in all 4 flights so far is the edge of the field. That is, the panic that comes as you are nearing civilization (or trees). Everytime this happens to me, I stall, spiral, crash. But I've learned a lot already, and just need more space to be able to take advantage of the appropriate flight altitude. It's funny just how small your field feels when you climb to say 100 feet, versus 20 feet. What I mean is that what seemed like a giant field to me at 50 feet of altitude felt very small when I climbed just a little higher above the tree line. I guess it's because the amount of ground you can cover, even with no power, is pretty great from 200 feet.

Another beginner thing that I realized quickly is that no matter how comfortable you are with control near the ground, it gets different when the angle to your plane is a lot bigger. At leat it feels that way to me.

I love that cub. I can't believe how hard it has hit the ground without breaking anything beyond repair. You'll have a ball with it.

I actually went back out for my second weekend yesterday. Got two really good left-handed flights in (with landings), before I crashed on the third flight. Again, I approached some trees near the edge of the field and overcorrected into a stall. It is so beautiful to power up and gently toss the plane with the wings level, and just watch it glide away from you and start to gently climb out! What an amazing thing.

You mentioned the wing not being level. Mine was, but the front rod that holds the bands around the wing pulled up through most of the fuselage on one side. I figured it was anchored by some plastic piece inside and wouldn't go any further. I was wrong. It's all foam. So I cut a piece out of an old credit card, and drilled a hole in it, then taped it inside the plane. Now the top of the fuselage hold the card in place, and the card is tough enough to keep the rod from lifting through the fuselage. You come up with creative ways to fix things.

The landing gear was MY problem. The plane listed to one side. Bent it a little and straightened it out. All else seemed to be ok.

I too had cosmetic damage from shipping. It's a wonder they don't pack these things better. My wing was wedged against the radio antenae, which put a near-punture in the top of the wing. Didn't casue any problems though, so I didn't do anything about it.

Well, that's it. Sorry I got a little long-winded, just sharing my excitement about the Cub.

Let me know what you think after you fly it.

Don Sims
02-13-2006, 03:24 AM
Welcome to the site alien and that was a great first post!

wobbles99
02-13-2006, 03:41 AM
I flew mine earlier in the week. I took her up for the first time by myself. I flew it a park with four soccer fiels together. I started out in the middle of the field (bad idea). It was really calm and no one was around so I thought it would be the perfect time. I hand launched it and it was a bit hair raising for a few minutes as the plane flew on the edge of stalling and I had to fight it to keep it straight. I finally got the trim leveled and the plane flew very well. I circled the field clockwise for a bit and ran into my next problem. I recomend to all first time fliers to take a look where the sun is and to keep it at your back at all times, this is not what I did and I lost sight of my plane for a few seconds. Luckily it stayed on a nice level course. It cut the motor out abruptly and I spiralled it down for what I considered a decent landing. I changed out batteries and put the spent one on the charger in my truck. The second flight went as well as the first up until the landing. I timed my first flight (about 12 min) so I knew at about 10 minutes I was just about out of juice. I brought her in but the wind had picked up and as I got to about 5 feet off the gound I lost control and in flipped over and went straight down. I wrecked the gearbox, prop, and the fuselage. I was a little disheartened to say the least. I learned a lot from these two flights and as I should have all the replacement parts tommorrow I hope my third flight goes a little better.
Here's what I learned:
1. Keep your back to the sun, stand at one end of your field and make the close end of your turn in front of you.
2. Pay attention to the wind. Do not land in cross wind.
3. Cut the engine when you get in trouble. I kept the negine on and thats what killed the gearbox.
4. learn from your mistakes, live to fly another day.

I'd like to thank everyone for all their help and hope to be airworthy in a few days.

Twmaster
02-13-2006, 03:45 AM
Hey Wobbles, that's a good attitude you have there. Also good advice for other newbies too.

Keep it up and you'll be bringing the Cub home in one piece real soon!

wobbles99
02-13-2006, 04:37 AM
I sure hope so. I don't wan't the reputation of a "widow maker".

alienx
02-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Welcome to the site alien and that was a great first post!

Thanks for the welcome!!