PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best beginners seaplane?

JDM_Custom
02-06-2006, 04:16 AM
I have never flown a seaplane and the plane I currently own is not able to have floats. So what type do you guys (or girls) think would be the best seaplane to get.

Thanks Jake

JDM_Custom
02-06-2006, 09:00 PM
I am leaning towards a twinkle. Does anyone own or have expeirience with one of these planes?

Thanks Jake

Don Sims
02-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Jake I was hoping one of the regular guys would answer. If they don't in a day or so, I'll move your thread to the general forum for some more exposure. Sorry for the lack of replies!!

Water Bug
02-07-2006, 02:24 AM
Jake - my first was a gws E-starter-was first rc. period. Live on lake and didn't have good field to fly out of so stuck floats on and went flying!! Worked great!!
Good flying plane .
Harv.

jimsp
02-07-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm probably a little biased on this but I think my Slow Stick configuration as a flying boat is one of the easiest to fly. On the water itís fast and stable and in the air itís the very easy to fly Slow Stick. At minimum you can just remove the SS landing gear and rubber band on the hull. The building thread is here. (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359356)

Don Sims
02-07-2006, 09:17 PM
That is a cool loking critter Jim. One of these days, you need to do a build thread here or talk someone who bought the gear into doing one!!

JDM_Custom
02-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the information Harv and Jim.I will have to look a litle closer at both of those planes and decide which one would work best at my lake.

Jake

Water Bug
02-08-2006, 01:32 AM
I have the slow stick too. One from Jims config. does great-one on gws floats - fun flyer -all the time - but sometimes like playing with ailerons. Both very fun -ez a better wind flyer.
Have fun

r_kopka
02-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Aventura TWIN/3 !!! The Aileron, double motor type.

It is the plane I use most often on water because it handles easily, and can take some waves. Never had any water entering. Can fly slowly and also do basic aerobatic. Small enough so that transport is no problem, big enough to be flown at waves and wind. Cheap components. Speed400 and 3KONION (or other Lipo) in my case. 8-9 Nixx will also work.

RK

re3626
03-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Easyest simple starter I've ever seen is GWS Slow Stick on GWS floats , lot of guys start on them and still fly em . They are a low cost easy build , get a 400 from www.gwsexpert.com (http://www.gwsexpert.com) and a float kit , you can upgrade as you go

Greg Lewis
03-10-2006, 05:08 PM
take a look at the two seaplanes sold by

www.espritmodel.com (http://www.espritmodel.com)

HermitRiver
04-15-2006, 02:32 PM
I am leaning towards a twinkle. Does anyone own or have expeirience with one of these planes?

Thanks Jake

Jake. I never had/flew a seaplane either but soon as a saw a Twinkle I fell in love. I have searched and followed many threads on them but can't seem to find plans except "talk of", so I have on order the past 05 issue from "Fly RC" that has the pull out plan. It will have to be enlarged, hopefully Staples, Office Depot can do it but I'll be happy to share with you if you like. Hermit

TheGiftedOne
04-16-2006, 08:13 PM
can't seem to find plans except "talk of"

Hermit, the Twinkle has its own website. http://keyboardmonkey.com/twinkle/index.html

HermitRiver
04-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Hermit, the Twinkle has its own website. http://keyboardmonkey.com/twinkle/index.html

Wow! Thank you:D This plane really has a hold on me. Hermit

kenhumphries
08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi Jake,
Strongly suggest that you have a look at the Britfight HTWO-O
(britflight.co.uk). This 1060mm British made foamie uses a simple little bell type motor of around 120 - 140 watts on a 3s li-po. The wing floats are designed to be permanently attached, but can be made to be quickly detatchable, giving you the option of hand launch grass field operation.
Despite having a flat bottomed wing with ailerons, it is both stable AND responsive. Last night (Thursday 20th August 2009), myself and other Club members had three of these flying off water here in the Midlands. With a wind speed of 11-13 m.p.h., and gusting to 16.8 m.p.h., the chop on the water gave a "scale" height of over 10 foot to the waves!! They coped admirably. The HTWO-O will not break your bank, your heart, or your confidence, as complete newbies to water based flying found out, despite adverse conditions.
Want to know more? Feel free to contact me, kenhumphries@freeola.com

Ken:rolleyes:

nascarwings
08-24-2009, 03:16 PM
107876Look at the multiplex mentor...it's easy to fly and flys off water great...

kenhumphries
08-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi Nascarwings,
Yup, I agree, your nomination does indeed fly well, both on and off water, but to my mind it is a conventioan aircraft which is glad to accept floats being fitted, and performs as one might expect. The little HTWO-O however is a dedicated competent SEAPLANE which will accept hand launches without quibble. It also has the advantage of being inexpensive to buy, kit out and run, and is so light that an inexpert "arrival" does not cause expensive damage. Whilst it may not be the first choice for the dedicated nitro burning enthusiast, it is certainly an inexpensive introduction to SEAPLANES For the aquatic novice. Having said that, even a dedicated balsa bashing 64 year old d.o.f. like me finds this little foamie quite enchanting for those moments when the wind settles down a bit, and the call of the water is difficult to resist. For me britflight.co.uk has THE answer.
Ken:p>

bfaulguy
09-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I guess it depends on your flying ability. I've always heard that flying boats are the easiest to setup and fly, so if you're a competent 4 channel pilot, you may want to consider the Seawind EP RX-R. I really love mine, it flys great. If you're just starting out, that Hobbyzone Cub on floats looks like a really good way to go. What plane do you currently have? You can put a set of foam floats on almost anything.

kenhumphries
09-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi bfaulguy,
Yes, I agree, you can indeed put a set of floats on almost anything, and have fun on the water. Sometimes you need to up the power a bit to help it unstick, and sometimes a sub fin needs to be added to assist with directional stability with all that extra weight of floats underneath. Water rudder, or two, is a must, as the normal rudder is often not powerful enough to prevent weathercocking into the wind. This latter tendancy makes take-offs easy in one sense, but a nightmare getting it back after landing if there is a stiff breeze, and you have no water rudder. But to get back to a point that I have made before, there is a difference between an all out seaplane that sits on its hull/fuz. in the water, and a float plane that is more often than not a bog standard aircraft fitted with floats. As the question first asked relates to a SEAPLANE, I will stick to my current belief that the Britflight HTWO-O represents the best low budget value for money seaplane available bar none. It is capable of handling water take offs in 14 m.p.h.winds, and hand launch flying up to 18m.p.h. Not bad for a lightweight little foamy. Just out of interest, I recently bought a different brand set of floats designed by to fit the same manufactures 67 inch scale aircraft, to find that they weighed in at 2lbs 2 ounces. That's some ADDITIONAL weight to have to haul around! I have had a few float planes, but my current seaplane is the HTWO-O. There are 3 other HTWO-O's in my club that are being used as Sunday hack models down at the flying field once their wing floats have been removed. Have a look at britflight.co.uk . Before you ask, "No" I do not have any connection or financial incentive to advocate this model. It does not need my help.
Ken

Jim Casey
09-07-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm going back to the original question:"What's the best beginner's seaplane".
If you are a beginner to RCflying the answer is to learn to fly where you can walk to the plane until you can place your landings. That means wheels and landing on terra firma.

I you are able to solo and reasonably comfortable flying, then my suggestion is to add floats to the plane with which you are most comfortable. My logic is that you would be a fairly inexperienced flyer at this point and you really only need to learn one additional set of parameters at the time. You are accustomed to the plane. Floats change trim a little but the plane still flies a lot like it did without them. Learning to taxi and maneuver on water is a big enough step.

If you are an accomplished flyer with several models under your belt, then a dedicated water model such as the HTWO-O would be a treat. You will be able to hang on to a new plane, and not suffer mental overload from adding the new experience of water maneuvering.

Even at that, don't be the first in your group to have the new fishface2000. Ask around in your circle, see what works. More important: See what didn't work. There is one frequently electrified flying boat that will not ROW without modifications. I remember it was originally designed for the Norvel 1/2A motor. It has been sold for 10 years or more. An addendum was added to the instructions but the design has never been corrected. So you'd be learning a new plane, in a new envireonment, and having to conduct a development plan that hopefully would be concluded before you gave up in frustation.

CHELLIE
09-07-2009, 01:47 AM
If you are a beginner to RCflying the answer is to learn to fly where you can walk to the plane until you can place your landings. That means wheels and landing on terra firma.

I you are able to solo and reasonably comfortable flying, then my suggestion is to add floats to the plane with which you are most comfortable. My logic is that you would be a fairly inexperienced flyer at this point and you really only need to learn one additional set of parameters at the time. You are accustomed to the plane. Floats change trim a little but the plane still flies a lot like it did without them. Learning to taxi and maneuver on water is a big enough step.

If you are an accomplished flyer with several models under your belt, then a dedicated water model such as the HTWO-O would be a treat. You will be able to hang on to a new plane, and not suffer mental overload from adding the new experience of water maneuvering.

Even at that, don't be the first in your group to have the new fishface2000. Ask around in your circle, see what works. More important: See what didn't work. There is one frequently electrified flying boat that will not ROW without modifications. I remember it was originally designed for the Norvel 1/2A motor. It has been sold for 10 years or more. An addendum was added to the instructions but the design has never been corrected. So you'd be learning a new plane, in a new envireonment, and having to conduct a development plan that hopefully would be concluded before you gave up in frustation.

IMHO a Slow Stick fitted with floats would be the best beginners sea plane. WHY?
1. super lite
2. does not need a lot of power to unstick.
3. flies slow to land
4. Cheap :D

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/2/1/9/2/5/t130173-236-thumb-slow%20stick.jpg

idealhobbies
09-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Actually, I don't think that "Jake" (the original poster) has the question anymore. I'm at a loss as to why a Ken felt the need to strongly suggest a particular aircraft, from a particular shop, to a member who asked the question 3 years ago. He says that he has no connection to the model, but it sure sounds like a sales pitch to me. A slick plug of a product by reviving a post over 3 years old.

I'm sorry if I sound like I am "flaming" Kenhumphries, but as an active member of this community, I drives me nuts when sales reps join the board, acting like concerned members just to shamelessly plug a product. To those sales people, I would rather you be honest, straight forward, and make a post about your product. Most of us take this hobby as well as this site quite seriously, and your covert tactics are an insult and a slap in the face of the real membership here.

I'd feel much better about a sales rep that took the time to introduce themselves, tell me about their business, and introduce their products. No covert crap, and don't pretend to be a concerned member "just trying to help you out". If you're going to join this community, then BE A PART OF THIS COMMUNITY. Don't drop in, drop your propaganda bomb, and pull out. It's RUDE!

I apologize to the other readers, but I hate to see shameless plugs in order to "help a brother out". I'm off my soap box.

idealhobbies
09-07-2009, 03:10 AM
And Chellie, I agree with you. I'd bet that the Slow Stick would make a great float plane. I have 4 lakes within 3 minutes drive from me, and I've thought about a float plane. I haven't done it because I'm worried about how I would get the plane back if I put it in the drink. I'm sure not going to swim in this Delaware water to get it. I'd likely grow an extra appendage and glow in the dark.

I may get a Kayak next spring...then, I could take the plane out on the lake and paddle to where ever I needed to go. Would make for some very nice AP.

bfaulguy
09-07-2009, 03:40 AM
Well whatever you do, stick with a known model that the majority of people on these type of boards talk about, at least for your first one. They'll let you know if it's any good or not. When I first flew off water 10 years ago, one of the best seaplanes was a nitro ARF Seamaster. (Awesome plane BTW, new version is called the Neptune.) I knew nothing about flying seaplanes/floats- just bought the thing, put my gear in it, tossed it in the boat and headed out to the middle of the lake to start flying. To this day, I'm the only one I know who flys off water. You'll learn quickly how to properly handle it, even if you do a lot of skipping on takeoff and landing at first. Just waterproof your gear, wait for a calm day, and you'll be fine.

CHELLIE
09-07-2009, 03:54 AM
And Chellie, I agree with you. I'd bet that the Slow Stick would make a great float plane. I have 4 lakes within 3 minutes drive from me, and I've thought about a float plane. I haven't done it because I'm worried about how I would get the plane back if I put it in the drink. I'm sure not going to swim in this Delaware water to get it. I'd likely grow an extra appendage and glow in the dark.

I may get a Kayak next spring...then, I could take the plane out on the lake and paddle to where ever I needed to go. Would make for some very nice AP.

:D LOL a spinning rod and reel with a tennis ball, makes a great retriver :ws: lucky you with all the lakes, i love to fish and BBQ fish :$ Take care, Chellie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KETZP189FxI&feature=related

CHELLIE
09-07-2009, 03:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mut_WfiDM7Q&feature=related

idealhobbies
09-07-2009, 12:02 PM
:D LOL a spinning rod and reel with a tennis ball, makes a great retriver :ws: lucky you with all the lakes, i love to fish and BBQ fish :$ Take care, Chellie

Here you go Chellie...My 14 year old brought in a double catch. Boy was he proud of himself!
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o249/totalsnafu/100_14292.jpg

CHELLIE
09-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Good Catch :) BBQ them, and wash them down with a few Cold Miller Lites :)

AeroCat Man
12-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Check out our Polaris and Aqua Cat. Both of these are excellent seaplanes with the added benefit of being able to fly off grass or snow. They are true "4 Season" planes!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com (http://www.ModelAero.com)

shimsham
04-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Hi Guys. Can anyone tell me where i can pick a multiplex mentor up in the states,quite expensive in the UK.

Jim Casey
04-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi Guys. Can anyone tell me where i can pick a multiplex mentor up in the states,quite expensive in the UK.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mentor_high_wing_trainer_airplane_18538_prd1.htm

They also list a float set for it.

pefozzy
04-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Don't forget the Hobbyzone SuperCub LP- the floats for it are very reasonably priced and are quickly exchanged for the stock landing gear in a minute or two. I bought one last weekend and have been very pleased with the water performance. Of course, stock it is a very gentle flier and isn't capable of very aggressive acrobatics.

warhead_71
07-26-2010, 09:25 PM
If you can fly 4ch, I think the GWS Tiger Moth 400 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048531) is also a very easy-to-fly float plane. Adding GWS floats to it is a no-brainer... just add a rear gear-clip and plug in the floats.

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/2/7/4/1/3/a2581805-15-IMG_6616.jpg

motoguy
07-28-2010, 03:47 AM
Don't forget the Hobbyzone SuperCub LP- the floats for it are very reasonably priced and are quickly exchanged for the stock landing gear in a minute or two. I bought one last weekend and have been very pleased with the water performance. Of course, stock it is a very gentle flier and isn't capable of very aggressive acrobatics.

I'll second this. My SuperCub became my first float plane a week after I purchased it. The SC purchase the first time I've flown my own RC plane in 10+ years. The SC seems to be a good learner float plane (if I can learn to do it...), and it sure looks pretty, too!

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/Media/News/Hobbyzone-SuperCub068cc.jpg
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/Media/News/Hobbyzone-SuperCub069cc.jpg

Fast Guy
08-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Another good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJF_t2XUkdI

Jim Casey
08-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Well flown, FastGuy!
Too many float videos are offered where the pilot can't land a floatplane.(Splash!, skip, Splash!, skip, Splook.......)
Your landings were immaculate!

Fast Guy
08-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Well flown, FastGuy!
Too many float videos are offered where the pilot can't land a floatplane.(Splash!, skip, Splash!, skip, Splook.......)
Your landings were immaculate!

Thanks, easy plane to fly, makes you look like a better pilot than you are.:D

KeninAZ
09-21-2010, 12:58 AM
OK, I just found this thread out there which also contains information about making the floats for the SS I have. I might already have my own answer but I would be interested in hearing about others too.
Thanks Chellie!
IMHO a Slow Stick fitted with floats would be the best beginners sea plane. WHY?
1. super lite
2. does not need a lot of power to unstick.
3. flies slow to land
4. Cheap :D

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/2/1/9/2/5/t130173-236-thumb-slow%20stick.jpg

ripster327
09-29-2010, 05:37 AM
Great question. I have to agree with the reply by "jimsp" dated 2-27-2006. The "flying boat" version of the GWS Slow Stick is the perfect OTW trainer. The flying boat hull and peripherals can be obtained directly from Jim Spencer. You must go to his thread. I never had flown anything before except for some rather unsteady flights with a gas trainer. Then I built the Spencer kit around the GWS SS. It's the easiest thing to fly due to super-low CofG and slow, scale-like speed. Here's my configuration:
1. GWS SlowStik Glider (you won't need the brushed 400 that accompanies the powered SS).
2. Jim Spencer's flying boat hull kit
3. From Heads Up RC (an extremely economical supplier of great stuff):
a. 2410-09Y brushless motor ($9.95)
b. GWS EP1170 prop
c. Power up 20 amp ESC
d. 1500 mAh 3S LiPo Batt
4. Cirrus MkII 4-channel receiver and xtal
5. CorrosionX. Immerse the motor, ESC and receiver/xtal in this green hydrophobic oil for two days and you're good to go for the season of flying.

I get up to 20 minutes of flying and touch-and-go's per battery. Excellent combo for beginners.

For more info and some pics, see my thread "Slow Stick Flying Boat" dated 08-09-2009.

Tony A.
10-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Is there anything a Slowstick can't do??? I have one that I used to get into night flying and love it. Never really thought of putting floats on it. Slowsticks make a great beginner ________ (insert plane type of choice...trainer, night flier, and apparently float plane)

AeroCat Man mentioned the Polaris and Aqua Cat a few posts back. I have both and can tell you that they are truly all purpose planes. Excellent on the water and just as good off the grass. I would not recommend them for a beginner pilot, but for an experienced pilot they would certainly be very good beginner float planes.

Here is a video I made last year of my Aqua Cat. This was my very first flight off water ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvN_se96btI

And some pics of my Polaris that also doubles as a night flier....

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/tony-allison/PIC_0241.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/tony-allison/PIC_0238.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/tony-allison/PIC_0236.jpg

ripster327
10-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Tony A.,

Beautiful flying! Nice Aqua Cat. Thanks.

Tony A.
10-22-2010, 03:16 AM
Thanks!!

eflight-ray
10-22-2010, 07:56 PM
I would also go along with recommending a Polaris. Mine is scratch built in depron, also flies of grass really easy, (wet or dry), so you don't need water all the time. Looks and flies like a jet fighter, quite aerobatic, and 100% fun.

Bill G
12-29-2010, 09:50 PM

I you are able to solo and reasonably comfortable flying, then my suggestion is to add floats to the plane with which you are most comfortable.
Pretty much what I did. Started out on a GWS Beaver, and then added the floats to it.

ripster327
01-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Bill G,

Nice Beaver and a good looking job on the floats. I've got one on my building table as I write this. What is your power system? (motor/batt/esc/rx)

Paul

Jim Casey
03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
I flew a slow-stik yesterday with a jim-spencer-like foam hull addition.
HeeHee! what a hoot!
Very easy to fly, and landing is pretty much just pointing it toward where you want to land, and chop power. The glide slope is just about the same as an approach slope-I think it would land itself altho I always flared-it's really easy to grease in a nice-looking landing.
I flew from wet grass and puddles on our (fabric) runway. With the power this one had, it was a little tough getting it to start moving, but touch and goes were easy.

pistnbroke
11-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Tony.A and eflight-ray,

Both of your builds are great, I witnessed a Polaris flying Saturday 3/11/12 for the first time. A great flyer and now is one of my "must have" aircraft, it is so versitile and I would think a fantastic build for someone like myself to start with for flying from water or grass.

I just have to see someone in the drawing office to see if they will print a plan for me

Regards
Ian

road king 97
11-12-2012, 11:03 PM
I see most of the water flying big hitters are here already ,makes me feel good to see others with the same addiction as me.lmao Modelaero has posted in another thread that they will be selling a ARF polaris very soon for around 150 and so far it looks great. There are a number of free plans out there for water birds if you want to build your own and tons of arfs big and small ,high priced and not. Alot of this is realy is in your lap ,if you fly well on your own now or are you still learning .Have you built planes before or only ARFS . If you need plans for some seaplanes i have plenty to give you for a free download(foam and balsa) ,as far as a arf you have to pick one that you feel you can fly well . There have been some great arf recomendations from my water brothers and sisters so far .:D joe

kenchiroalpha
11-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Hi
How about a Flying Hydro?
Take care
Yours Hank

road king 97
11-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Hi
How about a Flying Hydro?
Take care
Yours HankHere we go again Hank! lol How about a german plan for a float plane?The middle one is a magnum reloaded and a epp foam kit will be ready by x-mass from a company here in the states for around 70 bucks . joe

pistnbroke
11-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Another Polaris is being built as I type, my first though

Regards
Ian

road king 97
11-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Another Polaris is being built as I type, my first though

Regards
IanI scratch built 3 polaris and had some fun with them for 4 years or so. I sold them all cause i have to many planes for water flying now. I found this seaplane a couple weeks ago and like the way it handles in the water .You have to sighn up to there site for the free download of it but its not hard and free . http://www.freemindmodels.com/IdroJeep/_Flight_Videos_.html

ripster327
11-13-2012, 05:55 PM
I see most of the water flying big hitters are here already ,makes me feel good to see others with the same addiction as me.lmao Modelaero has posted in another thread that they will be selling a ARF polaris very soon for around 150 and so far it looks great. There are a number of free plans out there for water birds if you want to build your own and tons of arfs big and small ,high priced and not. Alot of this is realy is in your lap ,if you fly well on your own now or are you still learning .Have you built planes before or only ARFS . If you need plans for some seaplanes i have plenty to give you for a free download(foam and balsa) ,as far as a arf you have to pick one that you feel you can fly well . There have been some great arf recomendations from my water brothers and sisters so far .:D joe

road king 97: Are plans available for the four-engine Clipper you show in the foto? What else do you have for free downloads?

road king 97
11-13-2012, 06:06 PM
road king 97: Are plans available for the four-engine Clipper you show in the foto? What else do you have for free downloads?
That is a short solent i built from Ivans plans but they do have some big 70 inch plus seaplane plans here on the free plans http://www.outerzone.co.uk/browse_plans/index.asp Here is Ivans site and he has a big following for desighning the lightest seaplanes but he charges for his plans and they are very worth it. http://www.ivansplans.com/ Here are a bunch of free seaplane plans some from the US some from the german forum and this is in their forums. http://info.rc-wasserflieger.at/downloads.htm . I have alot of free downloads but its hard to tell what you are looking for and if you build in balsa or foam.. As for as what iam building is a 3-D plane built from dollar tree foam and almost have it done .Here is a free download plus videos and construction pictures. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748176&highlight=ultron They sell the Mako seaplane kit now but here is the plans and video for a good foam seaplane videos are there too. joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696964

Alf_Geiger
01-21-2013, 04:26 AM
I started flying off water about 6 months ago and the easiest plane and one that you can build yourself in about a day is the Flying W / Capricorn. If you put a slow fly prop on it then the flying speed will be quite slow and a easier for a beginner, slow takeoffs and landing give you plenty of time for corrections. If you happen to crash, you will be able to repair it yourself since you built it. Check out the design thread on this forum.

road king 97
01-21-2013, 01:13 PM
I started flying off water about 6 months ago and the easiest plane and one that you can build yourself in about a day is the Flying W / Capricorn. If you put a slow fly prop on it then the flying speed will be quite slow and a easier for a beginner, slow takeoffs and landing give you plenty of time for corrections. If you happen to crash, you will be able to repair it yourself since you built it. Check out the design thread on this forum.Iam sure the caricorn flys great and i have seen videos but its real hard on my eyes to look at. I like my seaplanes to at least be close to a real plane for water sports. I have been flying only off of water for 15 years now and attend at least 20 AMA club events in IL and IN ,great fun and alot of good guys . :D For a new flyer seaplane supply sells floats for their normal training plane . I have a apprentice for my son and they have a nice float set up for it and i seen floats for a slow stick there also. joe http://www.seaplanesupply.com/index.htm

Alf_Geiger
01-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Road King have you seen any converted jet ducted fan seaplanes?

road king 97
01-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Road King have you seen any converted jet ducted fan seaplanes?There are a couple out there but i think this one is great. http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=AQUA-JET&Category_Code=AM I know there is a sea dart ducted fan plane to and i think there are free plans somewhere .I will look and post it back here in a day or so. Ha Ha found that fast lmao . Here are plans and video of the sea dart http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1154758

road king 97
01-21-2013, 03:01 PM
The Germans are crazy about flying on water and have a site with just seaplanes . This is their free download seaplane plans page ,some they swiped from the US .lol Its only fair i brought them back and share them.lmao:D joe http://info.rc-wasserflieger.at/downloads.htm For those of us who really love seaplanes and their history this is a great site for the real ones. They have a walk around section so you can get up close and see all the deatails on them. http://www.seawings.co.uk/

Alf_Geiger
01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
That Sea Dart is awesome!! I am starting it today!

road king 97
01-21-2013, 03:42 PM
That Sea Dart is awesome!! I am starting it today!Iam glad you liked it and have fun building your own. :D joe

r_kopka
01-30-2013, 01:08 PM
The Germans are crazy about flying on water and have a site with just seaplanes . This is their free download seaplane plans page ,some they swiped from the US .lol Its only fair i brought them back and share them.lmao:D joe http://info.rc-wasserflieger.at/downloads.htm
To be exact it is an Austrian site - but we share nearly the same language :-)

RK

road king 97
01-30-2013, 02:27 PM
To be exact it is an Austrian site - but we share nearly the same language :-)

RKHa Ha my translater can let me read each page but it does not help me figure out where its at. :D joe

Alf_Geiger
01-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Sea Dart ready for the water

road king 97
01-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Nice Alf ,get some flight video! joe

Alf_Geiger
01-31-2013, 12:13 AM
For sure, I have not been able to get my son out there to video, I still owe the forum more of my ducted fan version of the Flying W and will see what kind of flyer this Sea Dart is. Starting the ducted fan version of the Sea Dart this weekend! I have the idea for the ducted fan motor mount already so just got to put the pieces together.

cr2k
03-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Have a Donald 4 seaplane I am converting to EDF. Does anyone have or know where I can get a canopy? Will even consider a used plane.

Craig 559-908-1166

gramps2361
03-30-2013, 12:28 AM
I picked up a Ultra Polaris have her ready for a maiden flight this weekend. Took it out to the swimming pool and taxied around a little bit. I couldn't resist.

road king 97
03-30-2013, 12:29 AM
Have a Donald 4 seaplane I am converting to EDF. Does anyone have or know where I can get a canopy? Will even consider a used plane.

Craig 559-908-1166 You can always try and make one yourself. The easy way of doing one is like this . Good luck http://ultralajt.webs.com/smallcanopy.htm
joe

road king 97
03-30-2013, 12:35 AM
I picked up a Ultra Polaris have her ready for a maiden flight this weekend. Took it out to the swimming pool and taxied around a little bit. I couldn't resist.Gramps your slowly turning into a seaplane man .:eek: :D lol joe

gramps2361
03-30-2013, 12:40 AM
I need to finish off the GP electric Stick and there will be 2 float planes in the hanger.
What's happening to me Joe I feel the need to go play on the water while sipping on a cold glass of corrosion X.:Q

road king 97
03-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Ha Ha the big water funflys i attend have food and drink plus 60 or 70 other seaplane guys to shoot the breeze with. I need to get back to building my new albitross seaplane but the other foam builds are habbit forming.lol Here is the canard done Gramps ,try keeping track of this flying with my old eyes.lol

cr2k
03-30-2013, 12:56 AM
You can always try and make one yourself. The easy way of doing one is like this . Good luck http://ultralajt.webs.com/smallcanopy.htm
joe

Thanks, I may have to go there, doesn't look too hard.

road king 97
03-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Thanks, I may have to go there, doesn't look too hard.Hey i look at it this way ,all you could be out by trying is a piece of foam and a old pop bottle . Good luck 2K .:D joe

gramps2361
03-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Joe that canard is small, but does look nice fun getting older isn't it.:rolleyes:

road king 97
03-30-2013, 01:25 AM
Joe that canard is small, but does look nice fun getting older isn't it.:rolleyes:Ha HA yea OLD, iam taking viagra so i wont pee on my feet at night. lmao joe

gramps2361
03-30-2013, 01:28 AM
LMAO

I am in the medical field I have patients that come in, and they tell me growing old isn't for the sissy's.

Sorry for the off topic guy's sometimes it's good.

road king 97
03-30-2013, 01:34 AM
LMAO

I am in the medical field I have patients that come in, and they tell me growing old isn't for the sissy's.

Sorry for the off topic guy's sometimes it's good. I Have had MS for 25 years now and i am still one of the lucky ones still walking around but it does take its toll on me. I know growing old is not for sissys and it does no use to complain .lol Back to seaplanes ! joe

dahawk
04-18-2013, 08:54 PM
I want one of these:http://youtu.be/T81Dw8IHhgI

road king 97
04-19-2013, 12:04 AM
I found this seaplane a week or so ago and it looks like a nice easy build. There is a laser company in IN cutting kits and its in the build thread . Tiled plans and video's are here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1839491

dahawk
04-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Joe,

Yes, that one's on my list. Familiar with Vlessie's designs. Built his Convair Sea Dart. Bob (Birdofplay) from Indiana does a great job cutting out the depron parts on his cnc for those who you are lazy like me and don't like cutting out foam pieces from a template.

Been messing around with pattern ships lately. I'm like an experimenting teenager, always trying new things. Just finished a GWS Formosa II kit. Was almost like a scratchbuild except the 5 EPO foam pieces were provided. It cost me a little over $50.00 to build since I had a motor , servos, rods, horns, etc. I'm flying on the cheap these days.

The 3DHS guys are here this weekend for their sponsored event called a Fly-low in. Should be fun to observe. I'm far from ready for 3D. Heading to the field tomorrow.

Best,

-Hawk

road king 97
04-19-2013, 01:30 AM
Joe,

Yes, that one's on my list. Familiar with Vlessie's designs. Built his Convair Sea Dart. Bob (Birdofplay) from Indiana does a great job cutting out the depron parts on his cnc for those who you are lazy like me and don't like cutting out foam pieces from a template.

Been messing around with pattern ships lately. I'm like an experimenting teenager, always trying new things. Just finished a GWS Formosa II kit. Was almost like a scratchbuild except the 5 EPO foam pieces were provided. It cost me a little over $50.00 to build since I had a motor , servos, rods, horns, etc. I'm flying on the cheap these days.

The 3DHS guys are here this weekend for their sponsored event called a Fly-low in. Should be fun to observe. I'm far from ready for 3D. Heading to the field tomorrow.

Best,

-Hawk I have his BD-5 almost done and should fly it soon and i always build cheap. lol 3-d is not my thing but i like to watch guys at my field who are good at it fly .

pistnbroke
06-04-2013, 04:38 AM
Hi All,

I maidened my Polaris on Sunday 2/06/2013. Steve Shumate design.

I hope you enjoy, I am still buzzed from the maiden!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFAyG-y_nUs
Regards
Ian

lvflyer
09-14-2014, 02:27 AM
If you can fly 4ch, I think the GWS Tiger Moth 400 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048531) is also a very easy-to-fly float plane. Adding GWS floats to it is a no-brainer... just add a rear gear-clip and plug in the floats.

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/2/7/4/1/3/a2581805-15-IMG_6616.jpg
Hello warhead_71 - I was wondering if you could send me via this instant message, or email, or post on the forum (whichever is easiest) some pictures and instructions on adding floats to your Tiger Moth. I believe I can just follow your lead on my 50" Wing Span vs your Wing Span. I want to prove to some people I can add floats like you did and fly this beautiful plane. I got the Dynam RTF 50" Tiger Moth during a 1 day sale at Nitroplanes.
Many thanks to you in advance - lvflyer

lvflyer
09-14-2014, 02:40 AM
Hello warhead_71 - I was wondering if you could send me via this instant message, or email, or post on the forum (whichever is easiest) some pictures and instructions on adding floats to your Tiger Moth. I believe I can just follow your lead on my 50" Wing Span vs your Wing Span. I want to prove to some people I can add floats like you did and fly this beautiful plane. I got the Dynam RTF 50" Tiger Moth during a 1 day sale at Nitroplanes.
Many thanks to you in advance - lvflyer
Hello warhead_71 - I just saw some more of your pictures including the under carriage. Where would I order another gear clip for the size of my fuselage?

Thank-you