PDA

View Full Version : Hyperion Sukhoi

Nitro Blast
02-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Saturday I took here out for her maiden flight.

One click aileron, one click down. Perfect.

8x6 prop gave me stellar vertical.

Knife Edge had it pulling down... oops... too much rudder throw. Adjusted and fine.

Inverted flight only has me touching down very slightly for level flight.

Outside loops, big and clean.

Snap Rolls. WOWIE, hang on!

Overall, 110% happy. Hyperion Power Pack that included the motor and controler does the job extremely well and plenty affordable.

Definately happy with this one.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8402/dsc038014yq.jpg

rcers
02-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Snap Rolls. WOWIE, hang on!

Yea no kidding! I flew mine again Saturday. It is a keeper for sure.

NYCstevo
02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Nice plane!! I was looking at the Hyperion Edge... I am guessing they should handle about the same... any tips..?

Vintauri
02-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I was eyeing the Sukhoi at the Arizona E Fest. If it would not have meant spending money to ship it back to MN I probably would have picked one up.

Glad to know it's a great performer.

Steve

tenore
02-08-2007, 09:54 PM
I have one of these too. Really nice plane, easy to put together. I haven't flown it yet, waiting for decent weather.

tenore
02-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Aaarrgghh! Flew maiden yesterday. Slight breeze. Balanced inverted where instructions said. Good takeoff, had to trim in left and down. Flew around a little. Noticed it did not like to slow down at all. Wanted to snap with almost any up elevator unless I was flying pretty fast. Tried to land without slowing down a lot. Snapped on final, almost pulled out, trying not to give too much up. The right wind hit first, tore out right wind, crushed cowl, broke up firewall area. I do not beleive that the balance point on this aircraft is where it needs to be. It appears that it should be a little further forward. The plane did fly well at speed. Anyone else notice this?

rcers
02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
tenore - where did you balance it?

Hyperion revised the early CG:

Build Notes not in manuals:

SET CG AT 50mm from wing leading edge for initial flightsMine flies (well flew) like a dream (I ran over a chipmunk - we both died!) But it died with a smile on my face!

This plane MUST be flown at all times, it is just as the full scale very sensitive in both pitch and roll. Desired for the aerobatics.

How much elevator throw did you use?

Mike

tenore
02-15-2007, 08:19 PM
I had the high rates at about 3/8 and the low at about 1/4. I flew it on the low rates, the high was just in case I didn't have enough throw. I think the manual said 70mm and I fudged a little toward the nose. It just acted real snappy. I had a 29% Aeroworks Katana, and it was nowhere near as snappy as this one was. I had the Katana set up a little tail heavy and it would snap pretty quick, but not like this. I do suspect that it was either tail heavy or had too much elevator, but I think I had the throws set about the way the manual said.

rcers
02-15-2007, 11:53 PM
I think the manual said 70mm and I fudged a little toward the nose.

70mm is too far back - as you noted. The addendum to the manual says 50mm...

http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_datasheets/hp/400kits/HP-400kits.htm

Mike

NYCstevo
02-21-2007, 05:26 PM
I just got the Hyperion Extra but have never bought an ARF before, I like scratch building. So I have a very NOVICE question - where or what type of Epoxy are they talking about in the manual? Would the Gorilla glue from Home Depot work just as well or no? I know it doesn't dry as quickly but strength wise what do you think?

This thing is awesome - VERY nice!

rcers
02-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Any garden variety 5 minute epoxy will do. CA is needed for the CA type hinges obviously.

I would not use Gorilla Glue...

MIke

NYCstevo
02-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the help - any ideas where I could get the epoxy?Because of my scratch building I have every type of CA around... heh heh Thin, Med, Thick, FS - etc.

rcers
02-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the help - any ideas where I could get the epoxy?Because of my scratch building I have every type of CA around... heh heh Thin, Med, Thick, FS - etc.

I get Devcon from Walmart....

Mike

KAR
05-26-2007, 06:13 AM
Aaarrgghh! Flew maiden yesterday. Slight breeze. Balanced inverted where instructions said. Good takeoff, had to trim in left and down. Flew around a little. Noticed it did not like to slow down at all. Wanted to snap with almost any up elevator unless I was flying pretty fast. Tried to land without slowing down a lot. Snapped on final, almost pulled out, trying not to give too much up. The right wind hit first, tore out right wind, crushed cowl, broke up firewall area. I do not beleive that the balance point on this aircraft is where it needs to be. It appears that it should be a little further forward. The plane did fly well at speed. Anyone else notice this?

I had the same problem...wanted to tip stall every time I tried to land. On the last flight it stalled and tipped, I tried to power out and ended up going in upside down at full throttle. Smashed the cowl pretty good. Broke the wing spar but the wings and fuse are just fine. The rubber bands holding whe wings on did an awesome job saving the wings as it cartwheeled. I'll have it flying agian for only 10 bucks. I know this is an old thread but I wish I had read it before flying my Sukhoi. So did it make a big difference when you moved the CG to 50mm? Mine was slightly over 60.