PDA

View Full Version : Perspective question (Noob)

Starmoon
02-08-2006, 06:38 PM
My FF will be here soon. I know that I have to fly high when I'm new, but how hard is it to tell what the plane is doing, ie turning, decending, etc when it is 300 ft or so up?

rcers
02-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Yes it is, but you get used to that. You must fly it close enough to maintain orientation but altitude is a good thing while learning.

Eventually even when you loose orientation (yes it happens even with experience) you just remember what you were doing control input wise and what the plane should be doing with that.

Bigger is better indeed.

Mike

Don Sims
02-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Please don't forget to practice on a flight sim like FMS. They help with the orientation.

Sky Sharkster
02-09-2006, 01:07 AM
To Starmoon, the suggestions here are good, I'd like to add one more: Put colored stripes on the bottom of the wings, say a red stripe on one wing, black or yellow or another contrasting color on the other. If you study the aerobatic models most have color schemes that are vastly different top and bottom. Shows up great when you roll the plane. For foam, either "Magic" markers, stick-on tape or "Foam-safe" paint. For built-up wings, iron-on covering works pretty well.
Good Luck!
Ron

Starmoon
02-09-2006, 01:26 AM
I have played with FMS and think I have the left/right and that they reverse themselves whenthe model is coming towards you now. I plan to do my first few flights at low throttle. Fly up to 300' then do some circles and cut the throttle. I know speed kills, and I want to make sure when I"m landing I'm going slow.

flyranger
02-09-2006, 12:22 PM
First flight: take off into the wind and climb to a safe height. Begin a slow left hand turn and circle while trying to maintain the same height. When stable bring it back around into the wind just like you were landing, but don't reduce altitude. This lets you practice a landing without slamming into the ground, or at least lets you recover from a dive. When comfortable with the performance reduce power to bring it in.

Starmoon
02-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks Ranger. I'm SOOOO excited about learning......I just don't want to bust my plane doing so which is why I'm going to VERY careful w/throttle.

LuckyArmpit
02-13-2006, 07:21 PM
You may or may not crash the 1st time out. However, never be afraid of crashing because EVERYBODY crashes. Of course some of us crash more than others! :D

Dave...

meatball
02-13-2006, 07:34 PM
my neighbor has a firebird freedom and crashed it 3 times on his first outing. Be careful, and good luck learning! Eventually, like previously mentioned, you'll get learned enough that once you lose perspective, you put together 2 and 2 and know where the plane should be and what to do to level it. Just remeber not to overcontrol, that was my neighbor's demise.

fabricator
02-13-2006, 07:46 PM
One thing to remember on your first flights is when it becomes apparent you are going to have an unplanned off runway hard landing, at the point when you are certain you cant fly out if it (usually an inch or two off the hard, hard ground) CUT THE THROTTLE! And try not to have the nose pointing straight down, this really causes a pretty little airframe to look like a pile of kindling.:rolleyes: .......I've ah........seen it happen a few times.......from a long ways away..........to another guy.........:D