PDA

View Full Version : Horseflyhobbies "HELL RAISER" Acrobatic Biplane...

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
02-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Hell Raiser flyers... www.horseflyhobbies.com (http://www.horseflyhobbies.com)

Are there any suggestions, cautions, sharing ideas, modification efforts, failures, success stories, construction problems, recommendations for improvement, balance efforts, flying recommendations, power arrangements, prop test trials, etc., on the Hell Raiser model?

Join us in an ongoing discussion...

Attach pictures of your model, if you can (as it would add to the effectiveness)...

To start this forum I'm sharing how you can get a professional photo, a building manual, and two videos on a folding demonstration and a fantastic flying demonstration of the Hell Raiser on this webb page: www.horseflyhobbies.com (http://www.horseflyhobbies.com), even though it is now discontinued.

Be sure to follow the folding demo video if you haven't started construction, yet.

I've attached a picture of my Hell Raiser below.

Also you need to know that there are problems with the model that will require modifications to safely fly it. Go to the CRASH Forum and read Tman's thread. He also provides suggestions to modify the HR with painfull pictures of his crashed HR.

I can send pictures on how I modified my HR, hopefully to eliminate this problem, if there is any interest.

I can't wait to try it out!

Can you add to this thread?

Happy Hell Raiser flying!

HGF

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
02-16-2006, 05:24 PM
First of all I attached additional tape to the Hell Raiser (HR) fuse sides and used bigger connecting braces on the ends of the flying wires as recommended in the HR Hobby-Lobby reviews.

Then I reinforced the top wing and center cabane as shown in the attached photos. I taped hollowed out 3mm carbon rods on each end of the center cabane and added 3mm rod "V" shaped struts in the space between the center of the wings, trying to keep the weight down. (I discovered that you can insert tiny clipped off pieces of the tips of round wooden toothpicks into each end of the rods for additional reinforcement.) The hardest part was to design something that would attach to the fairly rigid internal plywood frame, as the surrounding foam is just to flimsy to be used, so make sure that you locate and epoxy the rods directly to the internal plywood frame, as I did in the pictures. Adding additional flying wires to the tips of the wings was a piece of cake, just attach them to small pieces of very light plywood.

The HR is now beefed up and ready to fly at 13 oz, and it still looks good.

Can't wait to try it out.

Hope this was helpful... Let me know how you make out.

Good luck!

HGF

Don Sims
02-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Saw it at SEFF last year and it was an impressive foamie. Did the new generation take into consideration the mods folks are making?

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
02-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Apparently ideas were included as Mike Glass said that he incorporated things in the Wild Thing that he learned from building the HR. He definitely beefed up the center cabane to include double carbon reinforcement- ending up with I believe one that is 9mm's thick, and I think he also increased the 3mm struts to 6mm. According to Mike it also has a shorter wing span.

He didn't include the nice pre-printed colors and the great folding fuse that makes the HR look so great.

Can't see the details though, as the Wild Thing Model on the Horseflyhobbies webb site is not working.

HGF

aerobat
02-17-2006, 03:46 AM
Well I've got one of em and had problems the first flight. Tore the control horn right outta the rudder first landing. fixed that. I went ahead and beefed up all the rest of the control horns to be safe and I haven't had a problem with that happening again. Next I noticed the top wing would twist real easy so I built some cabanes to hold it in place that worked real good. Added some surface area to the battery compartment to hold the battery in better by allowing more velcro to be stuck to the air frame. As far as flying I love the little bugger. flies like a dream for me. yea it is a lil sensitive to wind but thats all relative ain't it.

aerobat
02-17-2006, 03:57 AM
By the way just for info... I'm using a TP 900 gen 2 lipo 3c and a himax outrunner 2808/980 with a 8x4.7 APC prop and ccp25. auw is 12 oz. Hovers at 1/2 throttle and will actually hover at the end of cell charge (9v) till bec cutoff. . not to say I do it but have had it quit at a high altitude in a hover. climbs like a rocket at first of charge. Can get a 15 + min flight outta it if I just put around and do touch and goes and rolls and stuff. I really like it although it is my only flat plate airfoil plane so far. I like sym airfoils and hybrid planes (foam fuse/wood wings with airfoils and covering)

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
02-17-2006, 05:55 AM
Well I've got one of em and had problems the first flight. Tore the control horn right outta the rudder first landing. fixed that. I went ahead and beefed up all the rest of the control horns to be safe and I haven't had a problem with that happening again. Next I noticed the top wing would twist real easy so I built some cabanes to hold it in place that worked real good. Added some surface area to the battery compartment to hold the battery in better by allowing more velcro to be stuck to the air frame. As far as flying I love the little bugger. flies like a dream for me. yea it is a lil sensitive to wind but thats all relative ain't it.

Hi aerobat!

Thanks for the pictures, it's nice to actually see how you modified your HR...

I may be wrong but I think your landing problem may have been because the bottom of the rudder is so long that it is very close to the ground when it is standing, and on touch-down it may have hit the runway jarring the control horn. Or, did it happen before that?

I see you added a home-made tail drag wire, similar to one that I made. What are the two screws for? I wonder why one wasn't included in the kit? By the way I taped an additional cf strip to the bottom of the rudder because of its huge rudder area. I would also suggest taping cf strips to each side of the center cabane, as that appears to be the weak link to the HR's wing support. Did you add additional strut supports on both sides between the center of the wings? On one picture with the red painted strut it appears to only be on one side, while on an earlier picture, the unpainted ones appear to be for both sides. I really like your mod to the wire connections on the aileron control horns, it's appears to be much better than the bended "z" wire attachment. Good idea to strengthen the control horns. I broke one during construction and had to cut out another from scraps. Wonder why nylon ones weren't used, with a stronger base? I noticed you didn't reinforce the elevator horn, was there a reason not to?

I'm not sure what you did to the battery area?

I used two aileron servos, but I think only one is needed, as I could have saved some weight for the modifications.

Did I see a pilot in the cockpit?

HGF

aerobat
02-19-2006, 09:43 PM
HGF

well yea the rudder control horn broke off before I put the wire on the tail. the two nylon screws hold the wire onto the ply Ijust put one on each side of the wire and kinda clamped it to the ply. I thought I might later take the skid off and replace it with a tail wheel or something.

the cabane is on both sides for some reason you can't see the other side because of the angle of the photo i guess.

those connections on the aileron control horns have DU-BRO Micro E/Z links on them cat. no. 849. I use .030 in. welding wire used in a mig welder for my control linkages if I build from scratch.

The elevator horn was attached to the ty rod between the two elevator halves so didn't have to reinforce it.

no pilot in cockpit.

I just glued a little piece of ply over the hole in the horizontal piece in the nose ply and just glued another peice of velcro on to it just for a little more surface are for velcro to stick to.

I didn't even know the HR was discontinued I haven't even paid attention. this is the first model I have bought in years. I build from scratch as it is alot more fun for me. I guess I like building from plans as much as flying the planes.