PDA

View Full Version : copperhead aviation plane is worth every penny!!!

lomcevak
02-08-2006, 08:26 PM
just got the copperhead stiffy yak 54. put it together in four hours flat. wing and fuse are stiff as a surf board. pulls like a rocket with hacker a20-20l and 2o amp controller. mine came out at 20 oz on the nose with a TP 2000 . i used CA instead of epoxy as the instructions called for but had some issues with it sticking to epp foam, which it is primarily built from. very little carbon in this plane, its amazing how stiff the wing and fuse is!!! this thing flies like a HUGE plane, very groovy and smooth. park it in a hover and it just wants to stay there. the epp foam construction makes it bouncy and nearly indestructible... so far!
good glide too. landing gear is very stout wire, but at the speed this thing lands, it could be made out of uncooked spagetti and still be OK. big wheels for grass. to tell you the truth, i cant find a damn down side to this plane. kudos to copperhead, you have a winner! worth every penny of the $89.00 price tag!
I made three mods that improved the glide a bit by decreasing frontal drag area...
1) cut off the excess wood of the giant disc that the motor is attached to. it acts like an airbrake. attach your motor and scribe around it with a pencil. dremel out the excess. dont worry about strength, there is plenty of wood there.
2) the front of the fuse is thick and flat, almost 3/4 of an inch thick. I cut a v-notch in it back to the motor mount and pinched it together, then glue or tape it together. may not seem like much, but if you add up the area of both these mods, you are removing almost 5 square inches from the front profile.
3) sand the tail surfaces round at the front and tapered at the rear. this may sound like splitting hairs on a foam plane, but i guarrantee you will notice the difference. it also makes the empennage much more responsive.

by the way, the hammer-on wheel retainers they provided didnt want to stay on, so i just used a little bit of heat shrink and it works well.

or you could just fly the thing as it is. it still will blow your socks off.

pony up the dough, if you can . this thing flies like a 27%'er!!!!!!

Murocflyer
01-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Are you stll flying your stiffy?

This looks like a very nice plane from Ohio Model Products.

Thanks,

Frank

Grasshopper
01-17-2009, 12:46 AM
He hasn't been logged in since last April.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask.....Is there is any issue with shrinkage factor on your stiffy in the cold weather?:eek::D

Murocflyer
01-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Well shucks. I guesses I should have checked that. I guess since he didn't get any response to his post he went elsewhere. That's too bad as this was the only Stiffy post on WattFlyer.

Guess I'll start my own build thread.

Frank

Murocflyer
01-17-2009, 07:32 PM
These sure look like good flying airplanes. Made of EPP foam with a bonded "skin" that's supposed to be pretty tough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-tYMk8Ock

Frank

Murocflyer
01-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Open box and inventory parts.

Frank

Murocflyer
01-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Some more progress.

Frank

darylm44
01-24-2009, 04:45 PM
He hasn't been logged in since last April.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask.....Is there is any issue with shrinkage factor on your stiffy in the cold weather?:eek::D

Belive me at -30* there is no stiffy:D:D:D

Murocflyer
01-24-2009, 07:07 PM
I think I may be wasting my time here, but I'll press on anyway.

Here is some more progress between chores.

Frank

Larry3215
01-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Thats a very good looking plane there Frank. The video shows some very nice flying too.

How much heavier do you think this would be compared to a normal depron foamy the same size?

There wont be any comparison as far as strength goes but weight is important too.

Larry3215
01-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Oh - do you have a link to the vendor? Im curious about cost too :)

Murocflyer
01-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Larry,

I can kill two posts with one stone.

I was flying the DWFoamie 38" http://www.shop.depronwest.com/product.sc?categoryId=8&productId=26 that weighed in at 18 oz.

The Stiffy http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/stiffys/index.htm AUW is supposed to be at 18 oz.

The Skeeter36 http://kalteisen.com/skeeter_36.htmlwhich is next on my list is supposed to weigh 18 - 22 oz. All three planes use the same scorpion motor 2215-18.

Hope that helps.

Frank

Murocflyer
01-24-2009, 07:37 PM
What bothered me about the depron is that any hard crash or tumble -they are supposed to be flown crazy right? - would break the plane and require re-gluing. Easy to do, but they were not very durable. I am hoping this one will be.

Frank

CHELLIE
01-24-2009, 10:54 PM
What bothered me about the depron is that any hard crash or tumble -they are supposed to be flown crazy right? - would break the plane and require re-gluing. Easy to do, but they were not very durable. I am hoping this one will be.

Frank

Your not suppose to Crash Them Frank :D :D :D Nice build, I like the way the foam wing has holes in it :Q keep up the great work, Chellie

Larry3215
01-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks Frank. Im surprised at the similar weights. Those lightening holes probably help.

The down side tothe covered EPP will be that if you crash hard enough it may be much more dificult to repair. Once the skin gets crumpled its going to be tough to fix. Still, you have an excelent point that it will be a lot tougher to break to begin with.

Keep us posted on progress.

Murocflyer
01-24-2009, 11:39 PM
All but the electronics. That sure went together quickly.

I have to say, I am very impressed with this plane so far. The build was very straight forward and it went together with no issues. If it flies as well as it looks, I might buy two more just in case something happens to this one.

Frank

Murocflyer
01-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Your not suppose to Crash Them Frank :D :D :D

WHAAAAT!!! :confused: Sheesh, now you tell me. :rolleyes: I could have saved so much money. :)

Frank

Murocflyer
01-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Here's the finished product.

Hope to maiden it this afternoon.

Frank

TDisaster
01-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Looks great Frank! Good luck with the maiden. I've been looking at one of these and they sure look great. Might have to sell one of my glow motors for one ;).

Larry3215
01-25-2009, 07:41 PM
I just noticed that wing has an airfoil to it and a proper leading edge. Cool!

Good luck on the maiden!

Larry3215
01-25-2009, 07:43 PM
By the way Frank - keep promoting those snake bends! I finally gave them a try a while back and its the way to go. Beets Z bends all to heck for sure :)

Murocflyer
01-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks Mike and Larry.

WRT to the airfoil, I think that is what separates these planes like the Stiffy and the Skeeter line is the shaped airfoil vs. the flat wing of the regular profile wings. An airfoil will create more lift and require less motor thrust.

WRT to the snake bends. They are great. Someone turned me on to them early into my RC career and I have been sold ever since.

Frank

CHELLIE
01-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Here's the finished product.

Hope to maiden it this afternoon.

Frank

Good luck on the Maiden Frank :ws:

Murocflyer
01-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I finally got to fly my Extra Stiffy today. AUW is 18.5oz.

I had read complaints about the landing gear being mushy, but didn't think much of it until today. Wow, they were right. I think cardboard would work better. I took the original gear off and bent some .075" music wire and then zip tied them in the same place using the original holes. Much better now.

The plane flew OK for me. I'm still trying to get the CG dialed in right though so the jury is still out on how well I'm going to like it. I do think the airfoil wing makes for a more efficient flying plane than just the flat foam wing that was on my DWFoamie 38" wing.

I'll post another update and a video when I get some more flight time in. I still have yet to try out my new helmet cam.

Frank

Larry3215
01-30-2009, 01:34 AM
Congrats Frank!

Looking forward to the video :)

airmail wf
01-30-2009, 01:44 AM
You're right Frank the two problems I had with this plane was the landing gear and the CG. Both easy fixes. The CG that they show in the manual is fine if you are just going to hover all day long. But there is more to flying 3D then hovering. Once you figure out where you like the CG you will like this plane.:D Very slippery in the air. Has a very nice flight envelope.