PDA

View Full Version : axi 2212 reversing kit

simhatus
02-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi

I have an axi 2212/34 which i purchased several years ago, I also purchased a reversing kit from aircraft world in japan which was not an axi one but fitted and allowed me to use an m3 bolt / threaded rod as the shaft. Easy to replace should it get bent.

I now have a axi 2212/20 which i want set up the same. Can't find the same kit, not sure what make it was, axi don't seem to do exactly the same thing themselves.

Anyone know where to find one?

Simon

Bill G
02-17-2009, 07:41 PM
I think HL would have the reversing mount set. As for reversing, the main thing is that the shaft requires a collar to load the shaft against the what is now the rear bearing. You can use a Dubro or whatever collar fits. As you were saying, I'm sure there are a number of mounts that would work, as well as just making one.

groundrushesup
02-17-2009, 07:55 PM
I think HL would have the reversing mount set. As for reversing, the main thing is that the shaft requires a collar to load the shaft against the what is now the rear bearing. You can use a Dubro or whatever collar fits. As you were saying, I'm sure there are a number of mounts that would work, as well as just making one.

Yes and make sure the collar is tight, and clear of any part of the motor mount th that might cause friction and loosen the collar.

I had a HXT 20-22L (hacker clone) lose its bell housing, prop, prop saver in mid-flight.

It was a show. Thank goodness I had a friend present who could track the prop while I deadsticked the plane in :blah:

Josh

simhatus
02-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi

Please try and answer the questions i've actually asked.

Simon

dogsheep
02-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi

Please try and answer the questions i've actually asked.

Simon

Yikes!

groundrushesup
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Yikes!

Perhaps there is a language barrier and Simon did not mean to be so rude.

To answer your question more directly - No, I do not know of a place where you can get a radial-mount adapter with a replaceable threaded shaft.

GRU

simhatus
02-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Hi

Thanks, hopfully somone else will.

Simon

Bill G
02-18-2009, 07:39 AM
At the risk of incorrectly answering,

I've used replacement GWS threaded 3mm outrunner shafts in various brands of outurunners that use the same shaft size. The cost of around $1.50 is a real killer. The unmachined portion is the same diameter as any other 3mm solid outrunner shaft, and will press right in with the intended press fit, using a vice. Simply remove any set screws/collars, press out the old shaft, press in the threaded GWS shaft, and reinstall set screws/collars.

simhatus
02-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi

i can see that would work but its not really what i'm after all i'm doing on the threaded bit is using a prop saver secured with 2 screws.

The advantage is that the shaft (m3 bolt) does not run through the motor but is a separate bit on the front it is a couple of minute job to replace and very cheap, should i bend it while flying indoors or as a result of silly aerobatics outdoors.

I can just screw a new one on the front lock it with an m3 nut cut the head off and replace the prop saver.

Simon

groundrushesup
02-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi

i can see that would work but its not really what i'm after all i'm doing on the threaded bit is using a prop saver secured with 2 screws.

The advantage is that the shaft (m3 bolt) does not run through the motor but is a separate bit on the front it is a couple of minute job to replace and very cheap, should i bend it while flying indoors or as a result of silly aerobatics outdoors.

I can just screw a new one on the front lock it with an m3 nut cut the head off and replace the prop saver.

Simon

Here I am going to invoke the english expression For What It's Worth:

I know it is not exactly what you specified in your first post but I am gonna go out on a limb here... HL sells a shaft coupler that might make the job of swapping your threaded shaft out a tad easier. It is not radial mount, I know, but it is another suggestion. The part number is GR3346 and you can find it on this page. (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/propadap.htm)

simhatus
02-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Hi

Thanks but i'm going to have to insist on my origonal plan.

I can see how that would make changing the part of the shaft with the propellor easy assuming thats the only bit that gets bent. the advantage of the system as i use on the axi2212/34 is that the adapter which allows me to use an m3 bolt bolts onto the motor housing and in several years use the only thing that ever gets damaged is the m3 bolt which is simple and cheap to replace.

Simon

Bill G
02-21-2009, 02:35 AM
You know that on motors where the shaft does not press in extremely tight, and depends on set screws to lock the shaft, you can change the entire shaft in minutes, just as you are trying to do. I have a $1.50 replacement threaded GWS shaft in an Electrifly 28-30-950, where I wanted the threaded type shaft. I had to change it out once, and spent maybe 2 minutes or so.

simhatus
02-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi

Thanks for all the "help" but my requirments are the set up i have on my origonal axi, nothing else is acceptable.

Simon

everydayflyer
02-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Purchase the AXI reverse mount that bolts to the motor. take it to a machine shop and have them drill and tap it for the desired shaft. Perhaps you can find a modeler whith a lath that will do it for you.

Charles

simhatus
02-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Hi

Thanks charles, good idea.

Simon