PDA

View Full Version : Twin Beech

Franny
02-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi All,

Has anyone seen a nice kit (preferably not ARF) for a Twin Beech or Beech 18? I think that would make a really fun scale twin. I'm thinking a wingspan of 35-50" Something like that... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Franny

Scott J
02-10-2006, 01:27 AM
K&A Models has a 60" span Beech. http://www.kamodels.com/

Scott

Franny
02-10-2006, 03:27 AM
Thanks Scott,

I was kind a hoping for something a little smaller and more wood as I'm not all that experienced with sheeting foam and fiberglass... They look like nice kits though!

Franny

Zrs4
02-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Franny,

I was in the same boat as you are now, and was considering the options..

finally i contacted Tom Hunt --he made some really nice drawings that can be reduced or enlarged..then the plane could be made on the building board --not really from scratch, but from the plans and our best methods..they didnt have any vac parts, like nacelles or nose cone etc, but i think the parts could be made fairly easily using home made lost foam method or balsa, or pop bottle plastic etc..there are certainly a lot of vac form radial engines available..

the wing profiles are all there, as are the fuse cross sections --if you love these planes as i do, then the project would have plenty of motivation to finish, and the design itself flies beautifully and does the full scale..i am sure!

with all the new light equipment and good contest wood, it could really be a wonderful flying scale model..

i have the plans now and hope to get it going right after some busy times here get settled down..i will hold off on the motors until the weight and CG questions are resolved more fully.

i looked at the available kits, and was put off by their heavy weights..i do not think they would look very scale in flight, and i dont want a plane that big either..

Tim

Sky Sharkster
02-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi Franny, I did a quick search for the twin Beech and Beech 18, the first two kitmakers I thought of that model "unusual" subjects are Dumas and Dare. Sorry to say neither one makes any twin Beechcraft kits.
How about a plan set? The source for plans from Model Airplane News is www.rcstore.com (http://www.rcstore.com) under "Scale" they have a listing for a 48" wingspan all-balsa Beechcraft Baron designed for (2) .10 glow engines, these would be like a "Speed" 500-600 in electric. Plan set is # fsp0381 cost $ 19.95.
Also found about a dozen B & W photos available for the " 18" http://www.1000aircraftphotos.com Click "B".
That's all I came up with!
Good Luck
Ron
P.S. I see you're in Denver...where do you fly?

Franny
02-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks Guys!
Hey Tim? Do you have any contact info? I'd like to check that out. Maybe I could get one of the many laser cutting places to do all the ribs and such. I'm just finishing up a Dare DR.1 and it has been a lot of mods. The kit is really more of a suggestion so I think it would be fun to take on something like this.

Hi Ron, I fly just north of the Museum of Natural History/Zoo at the multiple base ball park that no one ever uses and is almost always completely deserted. I don't fly every week, but I do see a few others out there from time to time. I don't fly anything super big or super fast and with the police station less than 100' away, I'm assuming some one would say something if there was a problem. Most every time, I have some one come up and say how neat they thing the electric thing is. There is a little bit of crushed gravel/dirt in the infield that works really well al a short runway. It is also really close to my house. I'm just a few blocks north on Colorado and Bruce Randolph. I don't think it would be cool to fly something big and fast there, but the small stuff is great fun. My next project is to make a camera rig for one of my powered gliders. I'll post some pictures when I get it all set up. Do you fly out at the COBE field? Sounds like a nice spot. I'll have to check that out some time.

Thanks!

Franny

Sky Sharkster
02-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Hi Franny, well, we're practially neighbors! I live in Capitol Hill, near the Botaniacal Gardens. I have seen a couple of flyers at City Park while I was driving by. Didn't have a chance to stop but next time I will.
Rocky Mountain Electric Flyers lost the Cobe site, last month in fact. We have joined forces with the Arvada Associated Modelers (Cobe field was also in Arvada) to use their 2nd field, they have 2 fields on their site, a big (East) paved runway for glow and a smaller (West) grass field that wasn't used much, designed for gliders and Heli. RMEF will use the West field, it has a pavillion, benches and a nice electronic frequency system connected to the East site so there's no frequency conflict. It's a long drive for me but most club members live on the West side so it's OK.
Got to fly today, not too many flyable days here lately. Maybe we can fly together sometime. I go to AAM site one of the weekend days but could meet you in City Park the other? Also AAM alows Guests but you must bring an AMA card to fly there. You can PM me here or go to RMEF website for contact.
www.rmeflyers.org (http://www.rmeflyers.org)
Good Luck with the twin, sounds like a great project!
Ron

Lancer31
02-16-2006, 12:37 AM
First of all, I don't have the answer. I do, however, have a "war-story" involving Beech 18s.
Back in the early 1970s, I lucked into a job in a corporate aviation department.
An opening came up for a co-pilot, and a young fellow with some pretty impressive experience showed up to try out for the position. He had flown mail-runs in twin-Beeches, in the midwest. He made the trips alone, late at night, with the planes loaded to the gills with mail bags, to where he had to crawl over them, to get into the cockpit. One night, before he had climbed in, they were re-fueling the plane, a spill happened, an electrical short occurred, and the poor old Beech 18 burned to the ground.
The next night, everything went according to plan, and as he was taxiing out to the runway, tower came on and said: "Four more and you're an Ace, kid!"

Franny
02-16-2006, 08:19 PM
I have an interesting story as well. I'm not sure I buy it completely, but it was told to me by the pilot... Anyway, This friend of mine was, for a while a Skydive taxi pilot flying a twin beech. One afternoon, he decided to play a joke on a skydiving friend of his and dump quite a bit of corn starch in this guys AC vents in his car. You can imagine what happen when this poor unsuspecting guy went home that afternoon and turned on hi AC full blast... I guess the entire interior of the car was completely white. Not a bad practical joke... OK I mention this friend of mine, the perpetrator of the joke was the diving taxi? Well I guess the next time he took this group up for a jump, his victim was the last one out so just before exiting the aircraft at 3000 ft, he walked up to the cockpit, leaned forward and removed the key from the ignition. Then, out he went; key in hand. I guess the next 20 minutes were fairly interesting for my friend, or so the story goes... I suppose you could dead stick something that big, but...

Franny

tailskid
03-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Not very scale, but could be made a bit more realistic is Seagull's Dual Ace.

rcers
03-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Well, this is what you want, just don't know if it will be available...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480576

Mike

Zrs4
04-17-2006, 03:27 PM
franny, they were pulling your leg, theres no key ignition for a twin beech, you would have to turn off the gas or the mags to make it quit..

i have heard of some catching on fire, with the old heaters and the high pressure carberators,

i had one catch on fire i was starting but i got it put out with a hand held extinguisher before it did any damage..

those old planes also had a side door up front so if you had a plane load if cargo, you could go out the left side of the cockpit and down the inboard wing to the ground --its not likely it would work in flight though for bailing out as many hatches like that opened against the wind.

the old slydive planes could just have the hard shell doors removed in the back..

Greg Lewis
05-02-2006, 09:49 PM
www.mountainmodels.com (http://www.mountainmodels.com)

They are designing a Beechcraft Duchess

starcad
05-03-2006, 04:19 AM
Several years ago RCM printed a plan for a Beech 18 around 45" span. If they are still selling plans you may want to search there plans site. Not sure of the url but someone here should have it.

Newkid
06-16-2006, 06:56 AM
The Beech 18 at www.acme-aircraft.com (http://www.acme-aircraft.com) looks to be exactly like what you want.

Newkid