PDA

View Full Version : GM Precision Bumble Vee Conversion

Twmaster
02-12-2006, 05:39 AM
Hi all,

I guess I'm a sucker for cool old wood kits. I recently bought the above off of FeeBay. The kit is in really magnificent condition and I'm hoping it will make a good candidate for E-Power. Has anybody here done a conversion of this kit? This is not the same plane as one of the magaizines featured years ago for .049 or SP400 power.

Anyhoo, here are the specs:

Recommended engine: .20
Span: 50"
Area: 525 sq. inches
Weight: 54 ounces (3.5 pounds)

Similar in appearance to this:

http://uscaero77.free.fr/_avion/bbvee/bbvee1.jpg

Matt Kirsch
02-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Wow, lots of conversion threads with no replies? Guess I'm not doing my job... :)

Whew, for a second there I was typing in a conversion for an .049... Bad on me for not reading thoroughly :(

3.5 pounds you say? I think if you build light, you could get it down around 3lbs.

Looks like it could be a floater, or it could go pretty fast. Not too fast, though with the open wing structure. Is the bigger model sheeted? Ailerons?

There are quite a few options, most of which revolve around a 3S LiPoly drawing around 30 Amps at full throttle for about 300 Watts. That'll give you the ability to go pretty fast, or throttle back and float around. On a pure floater, we could go with less power and knock some weight off.

We've got the AXi 2820/10, or the 2814/10 or 2814/12 for a floater. There's the Eflite Power 25, or the Park 480 on a floater setup. The Jeti 30/3 and 15/3 are candidates.

Twmaster
02-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks Matt, I think if I'm careful and build it just a bit lighter it would do well on a Park 480. I'm going to be avoiding AXi motors as their pricing is just silly IMHO when comparable motors like the E-Flite outrunners are just as good, are priced much better and come with mounts and prop adapters. I think an E-Flite 25 is going to be too much for it.

Not going to be able to blow much weight out of her as many parts are not easy to duplicate (for me anyway). For example the fuse sides are light ply.

sparky flyer
03-05-2006, 03:34 AM
I have the smaller version of that kit. It was designed for an 05 can motor, but with the newer technology, I think a small brushless would fly it fine. It looks like it would even fly well on a Speed 400 geared and eight cells, or two Lipos.

Sparky

Twmaster
03-05-2006, 04:10 AM
I'm sure I can get the weight down per my previous post. I'm fairly sure a motor like the E-Flite 450 or 480 outrunner will fly her.

Now all I need is about 3000 hours of free time to get it and the dozen other projects done -AND- do my chores....

:D