PDA

View Full Version : Dunking your motor

TobesUK
02-13-2006, 12:56 AM
You'd be amazed how much water grief a motor will take! I was. I crashed my plane (Graupner flying boat thing) into the water - salt river water, the most corrosive kind. The model ended upside down with the whole motor under water. But it still ran! The motor gurgled away happily turning the prop underwater. It's an AXI outrunner brushless motor.

I got the thing back to the shore (eventually), disconnected the battery (I'd bagged that up to waterproof it), and hosed the motor and plane down with fresh water. All fine. Amazing.

Don Sims
02-13-2006, 04:27 AM
LOL, they do take a lot of abuse. I flipped a brushed motor powered GWS Beaver in a farm pond and paddled the thing half way to shore, then the water got the receiver and I had to end up swimming for the plane. :D

Twmaster
02-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Yup water is not too bad for them if ya clean them out and dry them off quickly.

Sealed can motors can even be broken in under water!

Dr Kiwi
04-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Yup water is not too bad for them if ya clean them out and dry them off quickly.

Standard procedure for any can motor, none of which are sealed!

Tram
08-09-2006, 06:25 AM
I recently dunked my Twinkle and had to use the motor to help get it to shore before the whole thing locked up on me.. :)

donjiskra
08-14-2006, 04:34 AM
but that was NOT a problem since I sprayed the receiver, servos and speed control internals, (under the plastic covering), with CorrosionX.
When I got the plane back to shore, drained the water out,and changed the battery, the sytem worked perfectly.
Last time I dunked the plane, nothing worked until days later, everything dried out naturally.
Today I was amazed!!!!
CorrosionX is fantastic.

DickCorby
08-15-2006, 03:15 AM

I fly exclusively AXI's, and fly at a field (Washington State) where in the winter if we miss the runway, chances are we end up in a mud puddle. I've had to send two motors back after getting wet. They just wouldn't run right. Not sure, but suspect that when I dried them with the Hair Dryer, it affected the lubricant in some way.

Love their half price warranty policy.