PDA

View Full Version : PBY conversion finished

donjiskra
03-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Finally completed the conversion from .40 engines to .35 electric.
Plane: Scratch built from plans enlarged 6x by Ray Tomczyk
Conversion: Don Jiskra
Motors: 2- Turnigy 4230-1050
Batteries: 2- Zippy 4s 2200 mah lipos
ESC: 2- Hextronic 80 amp
Props: MAS 9x7 3 blade
Antenna: Deans Micro
Wingspan 75"
Weight 7 to 8 lbs
Maiden Flight: April 17th

Maine Flyer
03-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi Don,
Looking nice. :)

How much power are you getting from this setup?

Joe

donjiskra
03-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks Joe, it was scratch built by Ray Tomczyk. He did a beautiful job.
I only did the electric conversion. Which necessitated enclosing the cowls, and installing the batttery heat exhaust vents (the black area in the nacelles).

Ray flew it with twin .40 engines, He said it was way too fast for him and thought the .35 size electric motors would be fine.

I checked one motor running with my Astro Wattmeter at full throttle, it indicated 365 watts.

I'm looking forward to the April 17th maiden flight, which I will video tape and post.

Regards,
Don

gfdengine204
03-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Don,

Looking forward to your flight report and video(s).

donjiskra
03-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks Kevin,
Me too!!!!!!!!!!

Fviking
05-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Well it is the middle of May what happened ??
Did it fly and where is the Vidio ?
Viking

donjiskra
05-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Fviking and all those who have been following the conversion.
It had it's maiden flight May 6th and performed way better than I had expected. Plenty of power, as you will see in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJoDibl7Y0w
Thanks for checking,
Don :D

Bill G
10-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Don,
You and your buddy, and of course the PBY :D have made it into the public photo section of AMA's magazine.

PhantomSC
11-20-2010, 09:40 PM
That looks awesome! I've always wanted a PBY.

donjiskra
11-20-2010, 10:08 PM
THANKS, the PBY is indeed an awesome model.
Here's a review of one that is available and is a GREAT flyer:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674400

tampaflyer
11-21-2010, 02:05 PM
looks great, know the feeling...

60 size ..electricified...

donjiskra
11-21-2010, 02:21 PM
WOW, not that is AWESOME, well done, she is a beauty.
Thanks

eflight-ray
11-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Nice one Don, I flew an electric powered Cat some many years ago, (late 80's). It was actually built from a plan for an IC powered control line model, and flew great from a hand launch.

But then someone convinced me that I should try it from water.

It was filmed, (still got it on standard 8mm cine somewhere), and could have been set to music, Swan Lake, at it did pirouette after pirouette.
Was on the secend set of batteries before it actually got airborne. My Cat had a problem with the tip floats 'digging in', I think your's may have a slight problem as well. Cured it by angeling the float nose up a bit more, and reshaping the underside to ensure it always pops up once moving forwards.

Similar problem has occurred recently with my Sunderland. Once a float touched the water in a slight turn it wanted to submarine dragging the model around even tighter.
Cured it again by raising the float nose. The rear end of the float actually touches the water first now and very little drag is caused.

I know it doesn't make them scale any more, but it sure does help when taxiing and on the take off run.

Hope you have many more great flights from her.

When ever I see those clear plastic moldings around the bigger Easter eggs, I instantly think, 'cupola windows for a another Cat ?'. ;)

Ray.

Bill G
11-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Here you go Don and all. You made the public photo section in Nov 2010 AMA mag. It may be a bit easier to do, if they featured nice planes like yours, versus a bunch of lousy ARFs and RTFs, that are already seen in every other page of the mag.