PDA

View Full Version : Speed controller keeps beeping and flashing - Easy 25 brushless(New setup, New user)

workaccount
03-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi,
As per title I have an easy 25 speed contoller connected to a mega motor and am using a AR500 spektrum receiver.

This is my first artf plane so it is my first time setting up the motor > speed controller > receiver setup.

I have the receiver binded to the transmitter and have a battery connected to the receiver to power it. The speed controller is connected to the throttle port on the receiver. When I turn it on the speed controller has a green light on it and a red led which is flashing constantly while beeping. The speed controller is actually powered through the battery connected to the receiver.

The instructions did not give any info on which wires on the speed controller to connect to which one the motor so I have tried multiple combinations but still have the same beeping and flashing problem.

I also have a Saehan 3S lipo connected in the system. Even if I disconnect the lipo completely though I still get the beeping sound. Everything on the transmitter is set as default with throttle stick at minimum position. The Saehan battery is new and I have not charged it yet - I'm assuming that it arrived with a storage charge of 3.8v per cell - I have not got the right balancing connector for my balancer yet so cannot check.

I have plugged a servo into the receiver to make sure that the transmitter is correctly binded with the receiver and it is. The servo works fine when I turn the stick on the transmitter.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Also the 4 page manual does give instructions for this constant beeping error.
It could be
1) Throttle stick was moved the opposite way to what it should have been. (I have kept the throttle at minimum position upon startup so I think I can rule this one out)
2) Low size of deflection on the throttle stick on the transmitter - you must shorten the size of deflection on the transmitter (I don't know what it means by low size of deflection)
3) Overstep max. throttle position 0,5 and 2,5ms - you must shorten the size of deflection (Don't know what this means)
4) Starting an overheated controller (My controller is definitely not overheated)
5) More or less cells than specified (I know it can take up to a 4 cell lipo and mine is three - the controller is automatically supposed to sense the amount of cells connected on default setup so this should not be an issue for me)
6) Current overload - resumes operation after dropping throttle to zero (Not sure exactly what this means - I do know that you can connect the power to the receiver either way (futaba type connector). I think doing this gives different voltages but I think I have tried it both ways. I want the throttle and power connectors to match the way they are connected and when the thottle is connected one way the green light is bright but when it's connected the other way it's quite dim)

eflight-ray
03-22-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure from your post, but it seems like you have a 4.8v, (small 4 cell battery), AND your lipo battery connected ?

If so, remove the 4.8v battery. You shouldn't have two batteries connected if the ESC, (speed controller) has a battery elimination circuit, (BEC).

BEC means that the lipo, (for the motor), connected to the ESC also powers the receiver and servos.

As I said at the start I'm not quite sure you are using both, but comments like - "The speed controller is actually powered through the battery connected to the receiver." and "Even if I disconnect the lipo completely though I still get the beeping sound." tend to point to two batteries.

You only need the lipo if the ESC has BEC, and most small ESC's do.

If you want to test just the servos, you can connect a 4.8v battery to the receiver, BUT you must unplug the ESC from the receiver.

workaccount
03-22-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm not sure from your post, but it seems like you have a 4.8v, (small 4 cell battery), AND your lipo battery connected ?

If so, remove the 4.8v battery. You shouldn't have two batteries connected if the ESC, (speed controller) has a battery elimination circuit, (BEC).

BEC means that the lipo, (for the motor), connected to the ESC also powers the receiver and servos.

As I said at the start I'm not quite sure you are using both, but comments like - "The speed controller is actually powered through the battery connected to the receiver." and "Even if I disconnect the lipo completely though I still get the beeping sound." tend to point to two batteries.

If you want to test just the servos, you can connect a 4.8v battery to the receiver, BUT you must unplug the ESC from the receiver.

I just disconnected the receiver battery there and only have the lipo connected up now but there is no power to the receiver or the esc. I can confirm that it does seem this esc does have a BEC as when I searched for "BEC" on the manual http ://agert.homelinux.org/~fredrik/flyg/manual/TMM_easy.pdf it pops up a few times.

Funny how I'm getting nothing as the lipo could not be empty. It must be at storage charge from the factory. :confused:

workaccount
03-22-2009, 08:06 PM

I just disconnected the receiver battery there and only have the lipo connected up now but there is no power to the receiver or the esc. I can confirm that it does seem this esc does have a BEC as when I searched for it on the manual http ://agert.homelinux.org/~fredrik/flyg/manual/TMM_easy.pdf it pops up a few times.

Funny how I'm getting nothing as the lipo could not be empty. It must be at storage charge from the factory surely? :confused:

eflight-ray
03-22-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't know what may/may-not happen to the BEC electronics if a 4.8v battery is 'back-fed' into the ESC, hopefully it's Ok.

Double check the ESC plug is in the receiver the correct way round and in the throttle channel not the battery channel.

If it still doesn't work, you may need to charge the lipo. Although there is still some volts there, the ESC needs to see a specific voltage range to determine how many cells are being connected and what type of cell if auto detect, and may be confused.

For safety, I would recommend waiting until you can charge the lipo, (if you take the volts too low they can be damaged or reduce their life).

workaccount
03-24-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't know what may/may-not happen to the BEC electronics if a 4.8v battery is 'back-fed' into the ESC, hopefully it's Ok.

Double check the ESC plug is in the receiver the correct way round and in the throttle channel not the battery channel.

If it still doesn't work, you may need to charge the lipo. Although there is still some volts there, the ESC needs to see a specific voltage range to determine how many cells are being connected and what type of cell if auto detect, and may be confused.

For safety, I would recommend waiting until you can charge the lipo, (if you take the volts too low they can be damaged or reduce their life).

I'll charge the lipo so before doing anything else.

First I need to get a balancing connector converter to get this Saehan battery to balance with a thunder power balancer.

I'm not sure if it's looking that good though. The Saehan is a new battery and surely the voltage on it could not be so low as to not even light up the little LED on the esc.

Might ring the guys I bought it from and see what they think before going to the trouble of getting the balancer connectors sorted.