PDA

View Full Version : Firebird Freedom probs

Starmoon
02-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Tried to maiden my plane on Sunday. I charged my battery and everyting seemed ok, except when I put the battery in the plane the motor would only run for a short time. I tried charging several times (Charger has trickle charge so you don't have to worry about over charging) with the same results.

I looked inside the canopy to look at the wires. ONE OF the wires (Black) going to the motor was loose! Now I have to send the plane back...cause I don't want to open it up that will void the warrenty I'm sure....

-sigh- I was sooo excited to try and get in the air....

opquickie
02-13-2006, 08:22 PM
ahhh tough luck man. i started with a firebird freedom. it's a good plane to learn on but i cannot stress to you enough to KEEP IT HIGH!! i crashed it many times only because i was not high enough. also, if a crash causes your wing to crease, find some tape or something to reinforce it. (don't ask)

good luck, let us know how it turns out!

debhicks
02-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Grab you a soldering iron and fix it. Don't melt anything. If it still doesn't work then send it back. Shoot don't loose good air time in shipping.

gene2586
02-14-2006, 04:28 AM
I don't think crimping or soldering a loose or broken wire will void your warrantee. Do it carefully and go flyin.

bondobird52
02-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi, guys.
I also have a freedom, my problem is that it does not want to fly.
Tried to hand launch it, but all it does is nose dive into the ground.
Does not matter how much elivon I put into it, or try and trim it out,
it will not fly.
Tried to take off from the ground, and all it does is turn right.
Tried adjusting the right elivon, just short of stalling, it lifts off the groung
maybe a foot or so and nose dives to the right, even tried placeing the
the spools in the second hole, closest to the control surface, but still
nothing, no flight.
I think I bought a race car with wings.
Read the manual, and have done all I can think of.
Has anyone else had this problem, need some help.
This is my first electric, all my other planes ( 7 ) are gas/glow.
I have two years of flying under my belt, so I know how to fly.
Any suggestions ?

Will Hicks
02-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Try adjusting the rear stab unit. Raise the back of the stab a couple of degrees. You may be able to get enough by loosening the rear screw and tightening the forward screw.

bondobird52
02-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks, Will.
That was one of the first things I did.
Then I tried adjusting the elivons, so it would stop turning right.

ebob
02-15-2006, 12:18 AM
FB Freedom. Ah yes!
Mine is a tip stall queen when I turn off the ACT mode. I've tried a v-wedge on the l/e near the fuse. but this only helps partially, so the next thing that I'll try is to cut the tips and build in some washout, or maybe tape on some pop can tabs to try that 'fix' out.
If anyone else has had this prob. I'd like to hear here. (pun intended)

Starmoon
02-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Good news!! I think that the hobby store is sending me a new plane. They just emailed me asking how much I paid to have the plane shipped to them...More news to follow.

Starmoon
02-21-2006, 02:37 PM
New Update lol...They've sent a NEW PLANE!!!! They also credited my account for the shipping as well. I'll advise how the maiden goes.

Matt Kirsch
02-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks, Will.
That was one of the first things I did.
Then I tried adjusting the elivons, so it would stop turning right.

Trying to trim out ground handling problems by adjusting the V-tail will only cause the plane to behave badly in the air.

The sad truth is, the landing gear is just for show. This is not a plane that is capable of ROG. For that, it would need more than the tall, gangly, flimsy wire landing gear with cheesy injection-molded wheels that it now has. At minimum, you'll need a much stiffer, lower-profile undercarriage and much larger wheels to roll smoothly over pavement and grass.

If the plane won't hand-launch, then there's a problem somewhere in the alignment of the wing, tail and/or motor. Make sure the tail boom is securely in its socket; sometimes these get jarred loose. Don't bother with the whole "loosen the back screw and tighten the front screw" dance... It doesn't make any difference. You will need to shim up the rear of the V-tail by completely removing the screw and inserting something thin, like a strip of 1/64" ply or cardboard. Remember to put the screw back when you've got it shimmed.

opquickie
02-21-2006, 07:47 PM
agreed. i taught myself to fly on the freedom and i learned quickly that the LG is worthless. i tried to mess around with it but just decided to hand launch and belly-land it. no problems with that.

if the plane won't launch from a throw, there might be a problem with the motor. maybe the motor isn't getting full power for some reason...

make sure you launch on FULL throttle, and throw it pretty hard (a forceful toss will get it on it's way). throw it level with the ground also, or at least only at a little bit of up angle.

i wouldn't mess with the tail. that will cause it to fly unstably...is that a word?

if it wont hand launch, call horizon hobby and get a new one, they have excellent customer service.

markind
01-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Starmoon never got back to us. I suspect he / she gave up on this turd of a plane. Ah, well...

There are mods out there that will get it to fly decently. I am working on mine diligently. After a bunch of mods, it flies pretty good now but it can be made better. Now its a fun flying turd, at least :D

spitace
01-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi, guys.
I also have a freedom, my problem is that it does not want to fly.
Tried to hand launch it, but all it does is nose dive into the ground.
Does not matter how much elivon I put into it, or try and trim it out,
it will not fly.
Tried to take off from the ground, and all it does is turn right.
Tried adjusting the right elivon, just short of stalling, it lifts off the groung
maybe a foot or so and nose dives to the right, even tried placeing the
the spools in the second hole, closest to the control surface, but still
nothing, no flight.
I think I bought a race car with wings.
Read the manual, and have done all I can think of.
Has anyone else had this problem, need some help.
This is my first electric, all my other planes ( 7 ) are gas/glow.
I have two years of flying under my belt, so I know how to fly.
Any suggestions ?
I dont have a freedom but i hered on some other forum that you have to hand launch it realy hard, or it noses in.

Epoxycup
01-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Ah Yes the Firebird Freedom,

I had the privilage this past summer to fly one of these for a new flyer at our electric fly-in. I will pass along my own experiance with getting this in the air and you can take what you want.

1. It stalled one way in power off glide test:( .
Problem: One wing tip had wash in and the other wing tip had wash out. Both wing tip leading edges need to be very slightly down for stable stall free flight.
Fix: Heated (carefully) and twisted correction into the wash -in
(tipped up) wing tip.
2. Needed to move CG forward to 1/3 of the wing cord. This required
some nose lead (tire weight, fishing weight etc.)
3. Installed a new prop as the old one did not indicate pitch etc. Sorry
can't remember what we used but anything that matches the speed
480 type motor should work, and remeber writing on the prop
faceing forward on a pusher;) .
4. I flew with ACT off and I am not of the opinion it should even be
used, ever:mad: . As far as I could tell it was what we would call
low rates on a standard radio. Low rates on this plan makes it seem
out of control, it is so unresponsive. Scared me:eek: .

Landing gear is a mute point as mentioned above. With a good toss into the wind the Freedom pulled away gained altitude and I placed her in a nice right hand turn. Flew a few circuts around the field, then lined up for a smooth glider like approach and landing on the grass. This plane can fly pretty fair as long as things are correct, air frame wise.
Another thing to check is wing and stab alignment. That is viewed from the front the wing and flat part of the tail seem to have the same parrelell line, one is not differant from the other. These should be close. You might also check with the wing in place the measurment from a point on the wing tip to a point on the tail, is the same as when measured from the opposite wing tip to the tail. Once this alignment is correct you can probably make an alignment mark with a sharpie etc. so that each time you mount the wing you are aligned.

They just have to be set upi right to fly. :)
Anyway hope some of this may help.

markind
01-26-2007, 11:05 PM
I belong to a die-hard group that not only know and love this plane but have mastered this plane and know the mods needed to make it fly like its on rails :D

Read on, entrepid flyer:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7311

Epoxycup
01-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Starmoon

A lot of good info in the thread Markind gave you. They will fly pretty good but you need knowledge and experiance to get them that way. ;)

Flypopa
02-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Ah Yes the Firebird Freedom,

1. It stalled one way in power off glide test:( .
Problem: One wing tip had wash in and the other wing tip had wash out. Both wing tip leading edges need to be very slightly down for stable stall free flight.
Fix: Heated (carefully) and twisted correction into the wash -in
(tipped up) wing tip.
Epoxycup, what sort of heat did you use to shape the wing tip?
I have put washout into the original wings and this does seem to cure the tip stalling. I made 3 depressions in the tip and folded in the washout and taped it. I believe that the heat treatment way would look neater as I want to do this to a new unused pair of wings.

garybee
02-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Do the stall strips have to be triangle? I haven't been able to find any 3/16" plastic or balsa. Could I use 3/16" carbon fiber rod or tube and tape it on to the wing? After the tape is applied it would have a triangle shape except the LE would be rounder.

cbatters
02-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Do the stall strips have to be triangle? I haven't been able to find any 3/16" plastic or balsa. Could I use 3/16" carbon fiber rod or tube and tape it on to the wing? After the tape is applied it would have a triangle shape except the LE would be rounder.

Material / exact shape not too critical.

You can easily cut a trianglular shaped stall strip from a 1/4" sheet of balsa (just hold the hobby knife at a 45 degree angle when you are cutting on a straight edge.)

You can also use a 1" strip of card stock or lexan (blister pack) folded in half and and tape it to the leading edge of the wing.

#1 mod is to trim the nose foam to .200 - .400" to move CG forward

#2 mod is to dial in some down elevator at neutral trimm setting of transmitter and make sure you launch with some down elevator. Up elevator on launch WILL cause plane to stall / roll / crash.

#3 mod is to add stall strips

Clint

Epoxycup
02-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi

I just used a monocoat heat gun, you could use your wifes hair dryer though:eek: , of course I would not be responsible for what might happen to you:D,
Anyway be very careful with the heat so as to not start melting the wing. When it gets warm twist it how you want it then set it on a table with something to hold that position until it cools back to room temperature. I used some lead weights and a couple of pieces of 2x2 wood. Just go slow and be conservative. If not enough the first time then just repeat after it cools. Good Luck:) .

cbatters
02-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi

I just used a monocoat heat gun, you could use your wifes hair dryer though:eek: , of course I would not be responsible for what might happen to you:D,
Anyway be very careful with the heat so as to not start melting the wing. When it gets warm twist it how you want it then set it on a table with something to hold that position until it cools back to room temperature. I used some lead weights and a couple of pieces of 2x2 wood. Just go slow and be conservative. If not enough the first time then just repeat after it cools. Good Luck:) .

Can you post pics of your wings. Interested to see how much they differ from original shape.

Clint

Flypopa
02-20-2007, 11:07 PM
I have tried a hair drier but I was frightened to put too much heat on the wing. I wish I had a simular bit of material to experiment with. I have not given up with the Freedom, but at the moment I am finishing a Superfly that I got. Just waiting for the Lipo.
I notice Clint that you have had 2 Superflys What is the difference between you sons and Superfly 2?

cbatters
02-20-2007, 11:56 PM
I have tried a hair drier but I was frightened to put too much heat on the wing. I wish I had a simular bit of material to experiment with. I have not given up with the Freedom, but at the moment I am finishing a Superfly that I got. Just waiting for the Lipo.
I notice Clint that you have had 2 Superflys What is the difference between you sons and Superfly 2?

Super Fly Wing II has 34" wingspan, V tail and 7.2V 600 MAH battery which gives it very strong climb out and absolutely beautiful glide. Super Fly Wing I has 29" wingspan, conventional tail and 300 MAH / 7.2V battery. SFWI is a nice plane for baseball field size park.

Both planes were a blast to fly and are still air-worthy.

SOAPBOX - I continue to believe that 2 channel planes have their place in the process of learning to fly model planes.

Clint

cbatters
02-21-2007, 12:01 AM
FREEDOM WHEELS
Anyone flyng bigger wheels on their Freedom to reduce chronic bending of landing gear?

Clint

markind
02-21-2007, 12:24 AM
FREEDOM WHEELS
Anyone flyng bigger wheels on their Freedom to reduce chronic bending of landing gear?

Clint

Nope - I removed them. My favorite vacant lot allows for decent belly-slide landings, but is too rough for any wheels at all.

I am tempted to bring out a shovel and smooth out my own landing strip...

cbatters
02-21-2007, 12:34 AM
Nope - I removed them. My favorite vacant lot allows for decent belly-slide landings, but is too rough for any wheels at all.

I am tempted to bring out a shovel and smooth out my own landing strip...

My bad.. I thought I posted this to the main FF thread...

I noticed that the 1 3/4" wheels on the Super Cub did a much better job on rough grass than the 1" wheels used on the Freedom. I am going to order some 2" and 2 1/2" wheels and see if it helps landing on rough fields.

Clint

Flypopa
02-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Super Fly Wing II has 34" wingspan, V tail and 7.2V 600 MAH battery which gives it very strong climb out and absolutely beautiful glide. Super Fly Wing I has 29" wingspan, conventional tail and 300 MAH / 7.2V battery. SFWI is a nice plane for baseball field size park.

Both planes were a blast to fly and are still air-worthy.

SOAPBOX - I continue to believe that 2 channel planes have their place in the process of learning to fly model planes.

Clint
'Superfly' Mine is a different bird entirely. It is a Delta wing Quite a slow or fast flyer.

cbatters
02-21-2007, 12:34 PM
'Superfly' Mine is a different bird entirely. It is a Delta wing Quite a slow or fast flyer.

Link / pic...

Flypopa
02-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Link / pic...
www.superflyrc.com (http://www.superflyrc.com)

markind
02-22-2007, 05:09 AM
Uh oh - Clint gonna buy another plane :D

cbatters
02-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Uh oh - Clint gonna buy another plane :D

Wing is definitely on the radar screen but not until I master the planes I already have including the Swift.

Clint

markind
02-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Oh com'on! :D

One can never truly 'master' any given plane...

Yeah, get it nowwwwww..... :D

Ya know ya want it! :D :D :D

cbatters
02-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Oh com'on! :D

One can never truly 'master' any given plane...

Yeah, get it nowwwwww..... :D

Ya know ya want it! :D :D :D

Still thinning out the hangar before buying any new planes.

I enjoy flying different planes so I have bought -> flown -> sold a fair number of planes.

Current current favorite due to windy conditions is the Freedom. The Freedom can fly reasonably well in winds that make the Challenger difficult/impossible to control.

Clint

herk_1
02-23-2007, 10:14 PM
I noticed that the 1 3/4" wheels on the Super Cub did a much better job on rough grass than the 1" wheels used on the Freedom. I am going to order some 2" and 2 1/2" wheels and see if it helps landing on rough fields.

Clint

I bought some bigger wheels to try out too -- giant 3" Dubro foam ones...Cub S.U.V.! :) Got the wheels weeks ago, haven't had a chance to fly since.

cbatters
02-24-2007, 01:40 AM
I bought some bigger wheels to try out too -- giant 3" Dubro foam ones...Cub S.U.V.! :) Got the wheels weeks ago, haven't had a chance to fly since.

I am waiting for some calm weather to try the cub again. The weather I have been flying the Freedom in recently would rip the wings off the cub. (Even the Challenger was having a tough go at it.)

Clint

F2A2FAN
02-24-2007, 03:12 AM
Well, the good old wind helped me fly my FBF into the ground today.:eek: Nothing a little epoxy, few spare parts, and a heat gun can't fix.:D

pie717
03-04-2007, 11:02 PM
:p :p HEY I FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!!!! DO THE TAIL THING THEN TAKE OFF NOSE. PUT 2 QUARTERS IN NOSE AND PUT BACK ON. There you have it. Stall free FBF!:D :D

cbatters
03-05-2007, 12:14 AM
:p :p HEY I FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!!!! DO THE TAIL THING THEN TAKE OFF NOSE. PUT 2 QUARTERS IN NOSE AND PUT BACK ON. There you have it. Stall free FBF!:D :D

You can also trim the nose foam and slide the battery forwar to get rid of the dead weight for slightly better performance.

Clint

Twister65
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm a R/C plane newb and I blame my neighbour for getting me hooked after he let me take his Sky Fly for a spin.

I went out the same week and picked up a Firebird Freedom. I made a few attempts at getting it airborn, but it as a little too windy.

A few evenings ago, it was breezy but I went out and tried again. I had a few minor crashes, but managed to use up the full battery in air time. Swapped batteries and took it up again. Not so good this time. I had a couple of the oft-mentioned wing tip stalls, with the final one resulting in a collision with a goal post, chopping the left wing in half.

I picked up a new wing on the weekend and I'm ready to try again once the weather cooperates, and I learn to be more patient about waiting for less wind. :)

I'm also going to try the suggestions of putting a few quarters in the nose to see if that helps.

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but what exactly are "stall strips"? I searched this forum for info and found it mentioned everywhere, but couldn't find anything that describes that they are and what they do.

Thanks!

Scott

cbatters
04-09-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm a R/C plane newb and I blame my neighbour for getting me hooked after he let me take his Sky Fly for a spin.

I went out the same week and picked up a Firebird Freedom. I made a few attempts at getting it airborn, but it as a little too windy.

A few evenings ago, it was breezy but I went out and tried again. I had a few minor crashes, but managed to use up the full battery in air time. Swapped batteries and took it up again. Not so good this time. I had a couple of the oft-mentioned wing tip stalls, with the final one resulting in a collision with a goal post, chopping the left wing in half.

I picked up a new wing on the weekend and I'm ready to try again once the weather cooperates, and I learn to be more patient about waiting for less wind. :)

I'm also going to try the suggestions of putting a few quarters in the nose to see if that helps.

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but what exactly are "stall strips"? I searched this forum for info and found it mentioned everywhere, but couldn't find anything that describes that they are and what they do.

Thanks!

Scott

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=134264&postcount=215

And move the battery forward by trimming the nose foam to .300" to .400"

Clint

pie717
04-09-2007, 10:47 PM
I have finaly gave up trying to get this thing up in the air. I contacted Hobby Horizon and they told me to send it back. 3 weeks later I had a brand new one in the mail! I took it back to my local hobbytown usa store and traded it for full store credit. I paid and extra 30$ (with tax) and got the super cub. I'm in absolute love with it and it flys with no problems. When I crash it the only broken parts are the props. It can fly perfect with a dead battery! DO THE SAME THE SUPER CUB IS SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER AND WORTH IT!!!!! The firebird freedom wasnt made right. Give up already and stop wasting time and money. Get a super cub or you'll get a bad first impression with the hobby and the company. Sorry all you newbs had a bad experience. Not even close to a fraction of planes fly like this. Hope this helped,

Pierce Skidmore:p

cbatters
04-10-2007, 02:08 AM
I have finaly gave up trying to get this thing up in the air. I contacted Hobby Horizon and they told me to send it back. 3 weeks later I had a brand new one in the mail! I took it back to my local hobbytown usa store and traded it for full store credit. I paid and extra 30$ (with tax) and got the super cub. I'm in absolute love with it and it flys with no problems. When I crash it the only broken parts are the props. It can fly perfect with a dead battery! DO THE SAME THE SUPER CUB IS SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER AND WORTH IT!!!!! The firebird freedom wasnt made right. Give up already and stop wasting time and money. Get a super cub or you'll get a bad first impression with the hobby and the company. Sorry all you newbs had a bad experience. Not even close to a fraction of planes fly like this. Hope this helped,

Pierce Skidmore:p

No argument that the Freedom is incorrectly categorized as Zone 1 and further, there are some balance problems that make it prone to tip stalls with the 7 cell stock pack. (Perfectly balanced and better power with the 8 cell pack.)

That said, I fly the Freedom in winds that keep my SuperCub grounded.

Terrible first plane - interesting second plane.

Clint

Leo L
04-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Clint, cann't agree with you more. Horizon Hobby's reputation of quality products has taken a beating due to the Freedom, yet all they needed to do was change it from a Zone 1 rating (beginner) to a Zone 2 (intermediate) or 3 9Expert) and supply it with the bigger battery.

I know that a number of flyers have complained about the landing gear: wheels being too small and wire being to easy to bend. Anyone try to adapt the heavy duty T-Hawk gear to the Freedom to correct these problems? Here is a link to the heavy duty gear:
http://www.readytoflyfun.com/hedulageset.html

markind
04-11-2007, 04:30 AM
That said, I fly the Freedom in winds that keep my SuperCub grounded.

Terrible first plane - interesting second plane.

Clint

Yep. I won't loose any sleep over that post. Boo hoo, another dissatisfied FBF customer. Whoop-py do.

Its far more interesting to read about the Just Can't Quit-ters that get the lowly FBF up and flying well. I'm one of those. It would just crawl under my skin to have put my FBF in the trash, knowing what I know now.

My main plank was stuck in the hangar - I was glad to have the 'ol FBF available as a backup. :p Yep she bucks some pretty good wind too.

~mArK

markind
04-11-2007, 04:43 AM
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=134264&postcount=215

And move the battery forward by trimming the nose foam to .300" to .400"

Clint

Oh btw I did away with those small stall strips. They were my first ones and too small. I am now using 1/4" triangular balsa strips. I am pretty sure they are doing the intended job more effectively. I'll know for sure when I fine tune the nose weights.

The positioning and length is the same.

Another by the way - on landing, I was tempted to wave off an imminent landing to get a better spot, and when I punched throttle, she lept up, stalled, and left-tipped over into a cartwheel landing. :eek:

Fortunately, I have beefed her up with tail and boom reinforcements, which held everything nicely for no damage. :cool: The tall grass in the area helped cushion the impacts too. :D

F2A2FAN
04-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks to a good gusty thunderstorm this morning, I finally got my FBF back in the hanger after being held hostage by a big oak for the past 3 weeks. The tail is abit busted up and control wires a little rusty but the electronics and motor still work. :) I should have known better not to try flying it with new unmodified wings and the old tip stall got me.

IZ0JUB
07-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Dear Sir’s, 5th July 2010

I was disappointed by your reply to my inquiry regarding the OBF (out of box failure) of the “Firebird freedom” plane you manufacture. Most manufacturing companies that I have dealt with over the last 30 years have at least supplied suggestions for repair or replacement by themselves, not just suggest I purchase a replacement.

As I bought, and then mothballed, the “Firebird Freedom” some 3 years ago – beyond the statuary EEC guarantee term of 2 years – I did not expect a replacement but perhaps an engineering solution. There is obviously a design fault as component specification parameters have clearly underestimated the demand on specific component(s) is over heating when the aircraft is used in a normal and proscribed manner. In fact I have not even flown the aircraft, the smell of burning components issued while the unit was still on the test bench prior to use. The over heating caused the electric motor to stop. Had this aircraft been aloft it would have crashed instantly. I had hoped for advice on which component could be upgraded, replaced or paralleled, not simply spend more money on another fuselage that would have a similar problem, as it is clear this issue has not been addressed since its inception.

Since your off hand reply I have researched, through the Internet forums, other peoples comments on this product and you must be aware that this design has some inherent faults above and beyond the one I have highlighted. Many users who have experienced major failures with this aircraft are suggesting buying a cheaper product, manufactured in China from other suppliers, after scrapping this item and not buying another from yourselves as they too have been given no help or support regarding issues raised with your “customer services” department. Fewer customers and no service has been observed, especially as a UK supplier has withdrawn this product from sale as it breaches the “sale of goods act” as it is not “fit for its purpose” as a beginners easy to fly electric aeroplane.

I feel that your company is taking advantage of its location, being in the USA, to ignore and be complacent about complaints, concerning some of your products, from Europe. It is easy to ask individuals to post back items and then either deny receiving them or return products that are either as bad or worse than were originally sent. The impression is that you do not care and are big enough not to have to care about your customer base outside of the USA. If you deny that others have valid complaints about your products and services I suggest you go to these web-sites and see for yourself how negligent and how badly you have treated your end users world-wide.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7311
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3909519/anchors_3909519/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3909519
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523193
http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?p=2074869

and many, many more in the same vein.

Undisputedly, in the past, your company had a good record for supplying other products that work superbly but this particular model does appear to have slipped through your normal meticulous quality control systems. It has been suggested that if this was a car it would be classed as a “lemon”.

It would be a courtesy, on your behalf, to take my small complaint seriously and suggest remedial repairs or upgrade to the motor board control that I, as a retired radio-electronics engineer, may under take to rectify the inherent problem under discussion.

It is also possible to rectify some of the publicity damage by placing a page on your web-site explaining how many of the faults with this aircraft can be resolved, without having to resort to forums and associations, for help that you could simply provide. This would go a long way to restoring the “radio-control enthusiasts” confidence in your company and this product and possibly going some way to restoring your company’s reputation and that of your home state of Illinois.

Yours Sincerely,

c.c to Champaign Chamber of Commerce, Governor of Illinois, Huffington post.

Flypopa
07-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Well said. But I dought that it will get you anywhere.
My FF is history and has long since been scrapped and binned, and I have progressed to much better models.

Starmoon
07-15-2010, 02:06 AM
can't believe this thread is still active after 3 years almost. I have long since scrapped my FBF, and now just like before was looking at a plane that was just a step above my AA. I feel the champ really fits the bill. Looking forward to getting one.

cbatters
07-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Fbf and most other planes need air flow across the fuse for adequate cooling of ESC. Running for extended time on bench will cause overheating.

I have many many hours on my fbf including running with 3S lip with much higher power without failure.

Fbf is not a bad plane - it just should never have been marketed to beginners and should have been shipped with 8 cell for better balance.

Clint

Leo L
07-21-2010, 06:10 PM
I agree that the FBF should never have been marketed for beginners. Its not a bad plane for an intermediate flyer as long as you remember that it has a nasty stall characteristic, much worse than most of the other "pod and boom" planes.

As for Horizon Hobby's customer relations, Horizon Hobby is head and shoulders above all of the other manufacturers in this market. Their customer service has no match. The fact that you let your plane sit around until its way beyond the warranty period, then you operated it in a manner never intended, is in no way the manufacturer's problem. As Clint states correctly, the plane needs air flow to cool the components. It is not designed for bench operation.

If you like the Freedom, take the manufacturer's suggestion and buy a replacement fuselage, but this time fly the plane rather than bench testing it. However, you would probably be better off buying a different plane, There are so many newer and better planes on the market for you to choose from (the best ones being from Horizon Hobby).