PDA

View Full Version : FSK Stuka questions

Jagzilla
02-14-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm contemplating buying one of these kits, and I'm wondering how well the landing gear holds up if you are on a grass field. Our grass is kept fairly short, and I was thinking perhaps I could do hand launches and only use the landing gear in landings (obviously). Anybody that owns these kit have any advice here?

Also, would the MP Jet Outrunner work well in this kit. They are a great choice in the alfa's. I'm wondering about things like firewall mount, and how well the Spinner mounts etc. I wanted to go with a lower amp draw outrunner, and go with smaller size 3 cell lipos. Again, any one try a MP Jet in theirs?
J

spinnetti
02-18-2006, 12:38 AM
I'm contemplating buying one of these kits, and I'm wondering how well the landing gear holds up if you are on a grass field. Our grass is kept fairly short, and I was thinking perhaps I could do hand launches and only use the landing gear in landings (obviously). Anybody that owns these kit have any advice here?

Also, would the MP Jet Outrunner work well in this kit. They are a great choice in the alfa's. I'm wondering about things like firewall mount, and how well the Spinner mounts etc. I wanted to go with a lower amp draw outrunner, and go with smaller size 3 cell lipos. Again, any one try a MP Jet in theirs?
J

Just curious; didn't you cover this on RC groups?

Jagzilla
02-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Yes, and I never got a defintive answer about using the mpjet motor.
J

spinnetti
02-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Yes, and I never got a defintive answer about using the mpjet motor.
J

Ah. The mpjets or dang near any other motor sized for the application will work fine. You may need to alter mounting a bit depending on the motor, but thats no big deal. Dive in and try it!

I tend to be partial to geared inrunners because you can change gear ratios and have a MUCH wider prop selection. I tend to favor the Himax 2015 (lots of other choices though) in this class of airplane, and prop and gearing vary depending on the plane and batteries used. Usually 2s is enough, and cheaper plus being lighter.

My FSK 190 was designed for MPjets, either in or out runner, but I used a gws gearbox with a himax 2015 and 1500 2s. This was PLENTY of power for the FSK.

I've found that its nice to pick a decent brand and stick with it. There are lots of good choices so its hard to go wrong. In or out runner is more of a personal preference rather than a right or wrong thing, but I can use a single 2015 or 2025 motor across a wide range of planes, props and batteries, where with the outrunners you have to be pretty specific to the particular application, and the prop range is small. (e.g. on my FSK 190, a correctly sized outrunner is not going to work with the 9x7 3 blade prop it comes with).