PDA

View Full Version : Heavily modded GP SE5a build log

7car7
03-31-2009, 05:02 AM
So, I had this set of Damaged wings to a Great Planes SE5a, and a brand new fuse. Figured it was time to put them to use.
I decided to make an SE5 that was lighter, and much more scale looking than stock. And it will have a different color scheme as well.
I will be covering with Polyspan and Dope.

The wings are now undercambered. They were pretty banged up, so it worked out well to mod them. I removed the sheeting on the forward section.

The fuse in it's stock form doesn't have that raised portion just ahead of the cockpit, so I cut a section out of the front, and dropped it lower. I also took a lot of extra sheeting off the rear. And added some more strips for the turtle deck.

Weights...

Wings... (ailerons not included)
Stock with covering - Lower = 60g Upper = 52g

Stock without covering - Lower = 46g Upper = 40g
Modded without covering - Lower = 38g Upper = 34g

Fuse...
Stock with covering = 3.9oz 110g

Stock with NO covering = 3.5oz 100g
Modded with NO covering = 2.9oz 81g.

So, that comes out to a savings of 33 grams, or 1.16oz. Not huge, but I haven't covered it yet, and I'm thinking the polyspan will be lighter than the stock covering.

This plane will be silver. Haven't decided between Australia post war scheme, or South Africa scheme. Pretty similar, just different color roundels.

7car7
03-31-2009, 05:15 AM
Some more wing pics.

BUCKSHOT
03-31-2009, 12:29 PM
I also dragged out a lanier se5a with totaled lower wing,a friend helped me build a new wing,
one issue we built in too much dihedral
what effects will this have if not changed ?
OR SHOULD I TRY TO TAKE THE EXTRA DIHEDRAL OUT ?

birdDog
03-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Amazingly, thosE 1.16oz's make a pretty big difference. Nice!

7car7
03-31-2009, 03:44 PM
I also dragged out a lanier se5a with totaled lower wing,a friend helped me build a new wing,
one issue we built in too much dihedral
what effects will this have if not changed ?
OR SHOULD I TRY TO TAKE THE EXTRA DIHEDRAL OUT ?

I guess it depends on how much is too much?
It SEEMS that the kits (or at least the GP) don't have quite as much as the real plane.

I'd guess that it will just be even more stable, but have a much more barrel rolley look to it. Even when not trying to roll, it might have a pendulum look to it, as if being swung be a string from about 3 feet above the plane. Probably not something to worry about, unless you are addicted to nice tight rolls.

stevecooper
03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Look'in real good!!7carBub!:ws:!I did near the same an like mine now where as I thought it sucked stock and wasn't put together well, now she's a great flyer and I can see it too!!:Qbub, steve

BUCKSHOT
03-31-2009, 05:00 PM
It has more than the top wing maybe double
before they were the same
the dihedral was built into the center section and i added it on the inside rib when rebuilding the wings from scatch

guapoman2000
04-01-2009, 12:19 AM
7Car7,

I am just trying to understand your mod goals and expectations during flight.

Why the Undercamber wings?

Is it your goal to have this model fly much slower?

Thanks!
Carlos

details
04-01-2009, 05:49 AM
GREAT 7car7!!:D

Subscribed!

Dave

7car7
04-01-2009, 03:28 PM
7Car7,

I am just trying to understand your mod goals and expectations during flight.

Why the Undercamber wings?

Is it your goal to have this model fly much slower?

Thanks!
Carlos

I guess two goals. Yes, I want it to fly slower than the stock plane, but also for "looks".

The flat botom wings on all these arfs and kits just bug me. Real ones weren't made that way. So, I would love to just see it sitting on the grass with a bit of curve under there.;) The undercamber should help it to fly slower, but really, the weight reduction will be the biggest contributor to that I'm sure.

I LOVE the stock plane, it's very enjoyable to fly, just wanted something a bit more scale like - sitting still, and in flight.

So, along with this weight reduction, it will allow me to put some more scale details on the plane without feeling I'm porking it out. So, I'm not expecting a massive reduction, but perhaps an ounce less than my current flying SE5a would be nice.

7car7
04-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Oh, forgot to mention in regards to weight reduction.
As you all know, I took most of the weight from the fuse out of the rear half (removed the sheeting). But I also lightened up the battery area, and some bulkheads, and the cabane attachment wood blocks.

Before I started all this, I marked where the CG of just the fuse was. It has now moved forward, as we'd expect. I'm HOPING this will allow me to use a 900mah battery I have instead of the 1250 or 1500 I've been using in it. That's a lot of weight right there. So, you can see, a bit of tail weight lost can really add up.

7car7
04-01-2009, 03:42 PM
I received some Polyspan the other day, so I cut off a piece large enough to cover the wings, which happened to be the exact size of a piece of silkspan I had. About 36"x18".

Not very happy to see that the Poly is about 2x as heavy. Poly is 12g, Silkspan is 5g in that size.

BUt the Poly is SO much stronger. I was originally going to use Microlite, but I can't live with the shine, and I just love the way a doped finish looks.

So I'm using both silkspan and polyspan. Silkspan on the the underside of the wings, and Polyspan on top. Poly on the rear of the fuse, (so I don't put my fingers through the open areas) and Silkspan on the front sheeted areas.

Last night I did the underside of the upper wing, and it came out great. Being the undercambered thing, I wasn't sure if this would be hard or not. It's not bad, you just have to start in the middle (spars) and work for and aft. And babysit the ribs to be sure they're stuck down.
Chris.

7car7
04-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Sorry, no pics, but thought I'd give a bit of update.
I've got a HUGE case of the busy-ness lately, so not much time for modeling.

I did get both wings covered, on the bottom. I decided to do a pull-pull system for the ailerons, and will be using a single HS65 Karbonite Gear servo in the middle of the lower wing. Basically, the servo pulls one aileron down, that aileron pulls the one above it down, and that one has a string going over to the other aileron, wich pulls it up, and of course, pulls up the one below it. Basically a closed loop. I installed tubing in the outer ends of the wings, for the string to go thru.

As for the fuse, I cut a slot in the top for the Vickers gun. Came out great. I used paper to line the bottom of the gun port, and glued it in. Pics are worth a 1000 words, so I'll get 'em up soon!

I also covered the front section of the fuse, and the turtle deck with Silkspan. I just need to work out the routing of the pull pull for elevator and rudder, then cover the sides and bottom with Polyspan.

So, hopefully soon I'll get a more "fun" update for those who like pics!

Chris.

rhino
04-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Nice work, 7c7, cant wait to see some pics of your covering.

degreen60
04-22-2009, 01:15 PM
If you making a US training plane with yellow wings the US 95th had them. Here is the emblem.

7car7
04-22-2009, 02:48 PM
If you making a US training plane with yellow wings the US 95th had them. Here is the emblem.

That's a great emblem. According to a book I read, (many of you have that book, it's the one of all the 3 views of WWI planes), the training plane with the yellow wings was a silver plane IIRC. Does anyone have other info on that?

I'm not that particular on a scheme yet, I just know I want something other than green (silver!). It would be cool to do an American scheme. I was actually originally considering the trainer.

degreen60
04-22-2009, 03:15 PM
You need stars instead of roundels too.

degreen60
04-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Here is what a book I have says about the training planes. The book does not have color pictures. "American training S.E.5As at Kelly Field had khaki fuselage and vertical stabilizer. The wings and horizontal stabilizer were all orange-yellow.

The book says "Early S.E.5 were all silver with khaki wing struts and landing gear.

7car7
04-29-2009, 06:19 AM
Wow, been a while for pics!

Got some progress done, but it's going slow.

Everything in these pics is silkspan. It's a weird grayish black because it still had some leftover red on the balsa up front, and it wouldn't come off with sanding - just gummed up. (Why I didn't try some acetone, I have no idea!) so I put a light coat of black on it, then some gray. That's all underneath the silkspan.

The gun port is made of cardstock. Hopefully this weekend I'll get the gear in, and finalize the pull-pull for the tail group, so I can get the sides and bottom covered up.

Even with this covering, the fuse is still almost a full ounce lighter than when the plane was stripped, and in it's original form.

rhino
04-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Looking good, that silver/grey color doesn't look half bad. So are you going to paint it when all is said and done?

7car7
04-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Ya, I'll paint it. I was just doing that paint under the silkspan to act as a primer. The photos make the color look better than it is! It's sorta nasty looking right now. But it's smooth as silk (no pun intended ;-)), and the paint should cover it up really nicely.

Kids and wife are gone for the weekend, so, progress should go really nicely for a few days! I'm guessing it will look like a very different plane by Monday.

Longtimeflyer
05-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi 7car7,

I am really enjoying your build thread here. You have inspired me to join Wattflyer and share my own S.E.5a build, "stealing" ideas from yours.

I have stripped the model, and cut away as much as I dare, then I replaced the aluminum wing struts and the u/c legs with carbon rods of 2mm diameter.

Three Futaba 3114 servos will power aileron, rudder and elevator. The aileron servo is installed on the lower wing, driving a 1.5 mm carbon rod to bellcranks in the original servo positions. This saves lots of weight.

I am on target to knock 175 grams out this model! An Excel spreadsheet was generated with original vs target weights for a bit of fun.

This will allow the use of an AXI 2208/34 to be used, saving even more weight.

I'll try and add some pictures later.

Keep your pictures coming.....I love it!

Longtimeflyer
05-01-2009, 02:29 PM
First pictures!

7car7
05-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Looks really good! I like your idea of the carbon rods for ailerons. Do you have a detail of the outer end where they make the "turn" to go to the aileron? I'm assuming a bellcrank.

Being from SA, are you also intending to do a SA color scheme?

Please have a look at this thread...
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/camouflage-markings/40119-south-african-markings.html
Seems to be a bit of confusion still. Not clear on what the outside color is for the roundel.
Maybe since you're local, you might be able to do a bit of research for me?

Longtimeflyer
05-01-2009, 05:20 PM
I will do the research. These were very early days for the SAAF. Luckily, their museum is a short drive away.

Longtimeflyer
05-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Sorry, forgot to answer your question, yes, bellcranks by DuBro...the smallest ones. They are mounted on a balsa strip running span wise between the ribs.

Longtimeflyer
05-01-2009, 06:40 PM
This is what I have found so far. The very first markings were the multi-colored green/orange/yellow/blue from inside to outside, followed very soon after by the orange/white/blue roundels that were seen for many years to come thereafter.

7car7
05-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the pics! Seems the later ones went to the British style, of only 3 colors.

I'm certainly not going to go crazy with being so true to a real bird. More of a similarity, and something unique I guess.

Seemed that most of these silver planes had painted landing gear, and painted interplane struts - no way am I doing that, love the look of wood and silver together too much.

Longtimeflyer
05-02-2009, 07:09 AM
I agree, I love the stained wood look of the landing gear and struts. I looked at your previous SE5a undercarriage........great job!

I am keen to see further progress on your latest SE5a, so I hope you post some new pictures. It is the weekend after all! We are I guess 10 hours ahead of you here in South Africa, so I have a head-start on the build today.

The weather here is terrible right now, so I should get some more work done.

7car7
05-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Yep, weather is wet here too today. I have a big outdoor project going on 3 years now, and I'm NOT happy to be inside. However, let the plane progress begin!

The other night I started on the tail group issues. I am doing pull pull, and I wanted it to look remotely similar to the real plane - no wires diving thru the fuse, all routed inside. Coming along nicely...

Longtimeflyer
05-02-2009, 10:45 PM
I have installed carbon push rods for the elevator and rudder. Easier! Installed all the servos, got the wings, ailerons and stab covered today, now for the fuselage. I went for the dark green top, linen underside...........not sure that I like it :confused:

Working with Solite is a pleasure.

Maybe the insignia will brighten it up?

7car7, your silver or white paint scheme is a good option, me thinks!

7car7
05-03-2009, 03:47 AM
It just occured to me, I keep forgetting to mention this thread...

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/view.php?pg=se5a

AMAZING plane! The builder is a true master.

Longtimeflyer
05-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow! Thanks for sending the link. I was blown away by this gentleman's workmanship. A true masterpiece.

My little GP SE5 suddenly appears to be a toy airplane, but so what, we are having fun!

Covering is finished, now need to make those roundels again. The Solite is a few shades darker than the original covering on the GP SE5.

Looking forward to more pictures Mr 7car7 :)

7car7
05-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Yep, I know what you mean about them looking like toys!

Not as much work done this weekend as I thought, but I did get the tail group covered, (silkspan), and got most of the pull pull issues taken care off. Oh, and also made a tail skid, (front section, not the steerable part yet) and mounted that.

Went flying yesterday morning, and took the fuse to show my buddies. They loved it. Several have the exact same plane. One of them had a grandpa that flew SE5's in the War! Amazing stuff.

Longtimeflyer
05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Not sure what you guys use for your pull-pull system, but I have found tigertail wire to be excellent. It is sold in the bead shops (beads and necklasses) and is a fine wire rope of 0.38 mm, covered in very thin plastic sleeving. Several colors are available. They even sell the little swages to go with it. Works extremely well.

I used it on my Eastbourne monoplane model for both pull-pull and flying wires, pictures of which can be seen in my gallery on Wattflyer.

7car7
05-05-2009, 03:19 PM
I use braided kevlar fishing line. Spiderwire being one of the brands. I'm using 50# test for this plane. Nice stuff. You just tie knots, instead of crimps. I'm guessing it's strength to weight ratio can't be beat for this scale of plane.

I just would like to find some silver instead of green.

Got the sides covered last night, (the section that would be canvas on a real plane). It even has wrinkles like the real plane. ;-) Actually, I did it on purpose - could have smoothed it more, but wanted an authentic look. I'm finding the polyspan doesn't seem to shrink much with dope like silkspan does. I love the look, but I'm sure those not into SE5's will think it's shoddy craftsmanship. Oh well, it's for me.:ws:

I'll try to get pics tonight.

7car7
05-06-2009, 05:00 AM
Got the fuse all covered, and even threw some paint on it.

Pretty bright, I'll tone it down with a wash of black.

7car7
05-06-2009, 05:06 AM
Painted...

Longtimeflyer
05-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Looking good. Thanks for the pictures. I like your pull-pull system in the stab. Are you using dope or paint?

I have finished covering mine, and done the roundels. I used a compass with a sharpened point to cut the vinyl (yes I know I should have painted them). Just need to add some trim and lettering to brighten it up then spray or brush on some matt clear.

7car7
05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Are you using dope or paint?

The silver is paint. Very light coat, took almost nothing to cover it.

I need to redo the black. It's just acrylic, thinned down with water. It scratches very easily off of the silver. So I'll take off the black, and mask everything down and put it on with spray.

7car7
05-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Forgot to mention current weights.
Not as light as I'd hoped, but it is lighter than stock, with more scale looks, so that's ok.

Stock fuse and stock tail group with covering...
4.3oz - 121g

New modded fuse with tail group - covered...
3.7oz - 106g

Weight saved with mods...
.6oz - 15g

So, not much, but the wings are lighter too, and it's using 1 less servo, so it'll still be pretty good.

Longtimeflyer
05-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Latest pics attached. I tried to attach an excel spreadsheet with original vs modded weights, but could not. :confused:

Bottom line is I am expecting to fly at 445 grams (15.9 oz) all up with a TP1320 3S. This will give me a wing loading of 5.4 oz /ft.

By the way, I live at 5400 feet above sea level, so weight reduction helps a lot.

Biplane Murphy
05-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Subscribed.....:)

So it seems my Dr1 and your Se5a might be done at nearly the same time.

Ready to dogfight over the war torn skies of Oregon......LOL (Between our locations)....:Q

7car7
05-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Subscribed.....:)

So it seems my Dr1 and your Se5a might be done at nearly the same time.

Ready to dogfight over the war torn skies of Oregon......LOL (Between our locations)....:Q

I wonder how far one of these planes would get on a battery! Won't make it to the front line, but I'll think of you when I turn South!

Biplane Murphy
05-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I wonder how far one of these planes would get on a battery! Won't make it to the front line, but I'll think of you when I turn South!

LOL......Perfect........My landing strip here at home runs North/South.....I generally take off to the North too...so my tripe will be heading your way everytime I take off....:Q

Longtimeflyer
05-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Building of the SE5a stopped over the weekend as I just had to get to the bush and see a few lions and elephants amongst others. I took an electric model too, just to get my daily fix :ws:

That little Dr1 has no chance against the two lightweight SE's! Right 7car7?

7car7
05-12-2009, 05:33 PM
That little Dr1 has no chance against the two lightweight SE's! Right 7car7?

Boy, I don't know - that Darth Vader pilot is a tough nut. ;-)

I got the wings covered, and painted. No warps! I chose to use silkspan on the tops of the wings, just like the bottom. Just couldn't bring myself to use the Polyspan.

I sprayed a light coat of silver on the tops, and then went over that with a soft brush and acetone. Brushed both ways, front to back, and sideways. Gives a nice used, canvas look. It was just too perfect and "pretty" without doing that. Love the distressed look.

The bottoms of the wings, I mixed up some yellow and white acrylic in with some dope and thinner. Brushed that on, same way, 2 directions. Has a great un-painted linen look. I think the real silver planes had silver on the bottom, but I like the 2-tone look. Won't be able to tell in the air though, Orientation will be a challenge with this one for sure.

Now I just need to put on the roundels. Will be fun giving it some color.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the cabane struts. Stock ones are aluminum. Very strong, but probably heavier than they need to be. But honestly, not sure if I can duplicate the flat shape like the real plane, while making them any lighter, while still being strong. The way they bend and go into the fuse will be hard to duplicate any other way. (and I like how they're so simple to put on). Can't bend carbon fiber, or wood, the ends would have to be "built", which means more weight.
But I have not "mocked up" the plane with the wings yet - since I re-shaped the wings for undercamber, I might not be able to use the stock cabanes anyway - alignment could be off. We'll see:) I might do a "hybrid" of the old cabanes - stock metal ends, and bass wood grafted into the middle section.

Biplane Murphy
05-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Sounds great.

That is going to be a really nice bird when you are done!

7car7
05-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Couple shots of the wings.

I also started on the gril. I noticed while looking thru the Osprey book of SE5a Aces, that there seems to be 2 different kinds of radiator grill and shroud, or cowl. There's the more common one, that looks like a tractor, with square edges and horizontal shutters. Then there's the other type that looks like it's from a Bentley car - more rounded, streamlined, and with vertical shutters.
I chose the later.
Again, perhaps not authentic for the color scheme, but if I cared too much about that stuff I'd finish up sometime in about 3 years, and the model would weigh in at about 3 pounds. ;-)

The grill was started with a sheet of 1/32 balsa for a backing. I used some micro magnets to mount it. The trick with the magnets is to make a larger than necesary hole, fill it with epoxy, insert the magnet, then put scotch tape over the magnet. Then join the two pieces together. When the epoxy is dry, remove the tape. The oversized hole will allow the magnets to align themselves where they need to go.
Then I stacked up layers of 3mm depron foam. The flat "sheet" in the center is just printer paper, soaked in CA.

The original "cowl" or radiator shell from Great Planes is 11 grams. This new one (still need to paint) is 4 grams.
Just goes to show you, a little bit of time can save a lot of weight, and look more scale too. 6-7 grams is the weight of a Berg receiver, or a small servo.

Biplane Murphy
05-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Wow,

Looking sweet.

And LIGHT!!

My Dr1 is going to be a flying brick!!

7car7
05-15-2009, 06:01 PM
My Dr1 is going to be a flying brick!!

All the better to punch holes through the wind!

Biplane Murphy
05-15-2009, 06:23 PM
All the better to punch holes through the wind!

True,

I am just a bit apprehensive since I usually stuff a 480 motor in them, with a 2100 3s Lipo Batt.

This one has the Recommended Rimfire (Higher KV though) with a 1320 3s Lipo Batt.

Short flight times I am thinking.

But stubby wings and heavy, should handle a little bit of wind.

Yours is going to be a serious floater. My Se5a would fly soooooo slow, and it was a little heavier than stock.
I need to repair it, it was one of my all time favorites to fly. :)

Longtimeflyer
05-15-2009, 07:40 PM
I like what you're doing 7car7. I also thought that the standard nose cowl was heavy and very un-scale like. I started making the horizontal radiator grill version, but it was not coming out to my liking. I need to rethink how to make it.

I wish now that I had undercambered the wing.....looks much better.

By the way, I went to visit the SAAF (South African Air force) museum, looking for color schemes for you, and found a beautiful static scale model on display, with an awesome scale radiator grill. I had no camera with me!

I found nothing more than we have already seen on the very early colors and roundels.

Cheers

7car7
05-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks!

By the way, I went to visit the SAAF (South African Air force) museum, Cheers

I appreciate that. But I'm not too worried about it, I'm not too picky!

7car7
05-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Made a bit of progress on the plane, but no picture update yet. Seems if I mention first what I did, it motivates me to get some pics, and post them. ;)

Got the tail skid worked out. It's steerable. It's hinged separately from the rudder, yet has a piano wire loop that goes under the skid, in a scale shape, and then it continues thru the skid up into the rudder to give it steerage from the rudder control.

I now have the pull-pull strings set up, and attached to the tail group servos.

Tail is painted in it's stripes.

I did a cool little trick to add some realism, yet weighed nothing - added "stitching" to the sides. Just marked a line on a stick of wood evey 3/16", then layed that on the plane and poked a very tiny hole at each mark to represent grommets. Then used a fine point brown sharpy pen to make a line between each upper and lower row of "grommets". Real subtle, but nice.

So, yeah, I know, it needs pictures.

Long way to go yet. This is a SLOW build. Still need to make everything else. Struts, landing gear, guns, etc...

Biplane Murphy
05-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Standing by........for photos.....:)

7car7
05-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Well, it worked - just took these this morning...

I was a little bit apprehensive about the colors of the roundels. When you think of the colors, they could almost be considered a "rainbow" flag ;-). But I mixed them up to give a bit of personality, and I'm really happy with the shades.

Blue - added a touch of black.
Red - added a touch of white and black (gray)
Yellow - added 50% white, then a hair of black
Green - touch of black.

Biplane Murphy
05-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Looks great!

I love the stitching. :)

Don't worry about similarity to the rainbow flag, because there is no purple on your plane. Also the slightly changed colors worked well too.

7car7
05-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks /\ !

Got the roundels on the wings done. Just LOVE this color scheme, there's just something about silver.

Hooked up the ESC and RX last night, and fired up the servos. Everything seems to be working really good. Also attached the aileron strings to the center servo. Used those tiny little pushrod adjustable connectors, with a piano wire rod coming in from each string end. Had to enlarge the hole in the tiny aluminum block to allow for 2 rods. But now the pull-pull ailerons are adjustable for left-right, and tension.
About time to throw the lower wing on, get the strings tied to the lower ailerons, and start work on the struts. Those should be kinda fun.

OH, forgot to mention. I know this can be deceptive, but I threw EVERYTHING on the scale. Stock wheels, LG, struts, motor, battery, servos, EVERYTHING I could think of. Came out to 16.5oz. Not sure how that's possible, but thought it was interesting. :)

Biplane Murphy
05-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Thanks /\ !

Got the roundels on the wings done. Just LOVE this color scheme, there's just something about silver.

Hooked up the ESC and RX last night, and fired up the servos. Everything seems to be working really good. Also attached the aileron strings to the center servo. Used those tiny little pushrod adjustable connectors, with a piano wire rod coming in from each string end. Had to enlarge the hole in the tiny aluminum block to allow for 2 rods. But now the pull-pull ailerons are adjustable for left-right, and tension.
About time to throw the lower wing on, get the strings tied to the lower ailerons, and start work on the struts. Those should be kinda fun.

OH, forgot to mention. I know this can be deceptive, but I threw EVERYTHING on the scale. Stock wheels, LG, struts, motor, battery, servos, EVERYTHING I could think of. Came out to 16.5oz. Not sure how that's possible, but thought it was interesting. :)

Holy feather light plane Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't breathe on it, or it might achieve lift, and fly away...:Q

Don't forget a few photos for us. :)

Longtimeflyer
05-28-2009, 10:47 AM
You have saved a ton of weight there 7car7........I like that! Light models fly SO much better than bricks! I have become a bit of a weight freak, but I love the challenge of building light yet strong. Your paint job is excellent.
We have had such good weather lately, that I have been out flying too much. The war effort must continue soon :-)

Cheers,

7car7
05-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Weather's been nice for sailing, but not for planes around here! Nice and warm, very sunny, but quite breezy. Tried to fly my GWS Tiger Moth the other evening, (knew I shouldn't have), and it just flipped over sideways on takeoff. I knew better, just having withdrawals.

I just had to throw the thing on the scale again, to see if I was dreaming the other day. Lower wing, Fuse, with everything in it, (all gear), except the battery, it's at about 10.5. Just missing the upper, and struts, wheels and LG, and the most important part, DETAILS (engine, exhaust pipes, pilot, windsheild etc...

7car7
06-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Made some more progress. Figured I'd better do some detailing before the wings are on, it's just too hard to get in some spots with them in the way.

Longtimeflyer
06-02-2009, 08:53 PM
That's looking really good. I am impressed with the "leather" around the cockpit.........mmm..... think I'll do the same :ws:

The stitching is excellent too. The covering does look the part compared to glossy iron-on.

Nice work.

Cheers,

7car7
06-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the comments. It's a fun build.

7car7
06-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Engine is just sitting there, not attached yet. Still trying to figure out how to fasten the exhaust pipes to the fuse.

The gun is made of paper, the grooves where done with a ball point pen from the back side. My scale says it weighs nothing.;-) Stock gun was 2g. It's painted black, and then I rubbed graphite on the edges for a metalic look.

Longtimeflyer
06-05-2009, 09:04 PM
See attached picture of the full size SE5a for some ideas.

Regards,

7car7
06-05-2009, 09:32 PM
That's a great shot, and very helpfull - thanks so much.

I want to put a round crosshair sight on the gun, but having a hard time finding a good shot that show where it goes.

I have the attached, but being a replica, it's always hard to say how accurate...

details
06-06-2009, 03:37 AM
That's a great shot, and very helpfull - thanks so much.

I want to put a round crosshair sight on the gun, but having a hard time finding a good shot that show where it goes.

I have the attached, but being a replica, it's always hard to say how accurate...
7car7,

pm me with your e-mail. I have some good photos for the location of the crosshair from an original SE5a:D.

Dave

7car7
06-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Dave, your pics were a huge help! Thanks so much.

Some more progress. Gun sight, Windshield, Numbers, Side step, and Side door.

7car7
07-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Can't believe how long I've been building this plane. Slow going for sure.

Landing gear progress. It's made of spruce. The structure is quite a bit lighter than the original Red painted aluminum. Several grams. But my wheels are a couple grams heavier than stock, so I think LG will be a wash for weight. The scale look is worth it to me.

Longtimeflyer
07-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow! That is looking fantastic...........now I know where you've been for the last week or so. Nice work once again. You are setting a tough standard here :-)

Regards,

reuben199
07-11-2009, 11:39 PM
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102597&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1244233944

Hey 7car7,
That picture you posted is from here in New Zealand and is owned by Peter Jackson from Lord of the rings......
He has a few WW1 planes being built here in NZ for his private collection.

Your SE5a is looking good.
-Reuben

7car7
07-13-2009, 04:26 PM
I was wondering if that was Peter's plane - nice to know that!

Thanks for the comments, you're too kind Longtime!

Got nothing done after these pics were taken. The long daylight of summer is not conducive to airplane progress!

7car7
08-03-2009, 06:07 AM
Just about finished. I need to install the flying wires, and rig up the aileron pull-pull strings, but that's about it.

Here's some latest pics. The pilot I stole from my other SE5 - I'll probably make another for this one. Trying to decide if it'll get a Lewis gun or not. Wouldn't be authentic it seems for a South African plane, but that's ok.

I added an Aldis Gunsight in front of the pilot. It's made of paper.

Chris.

7car7
09-28-2009, 10:57 PM
It flies! Got 2 flights in on Saturday morning. Got a couple of bugs to work out, but it's a good plane.

Final weight w/o battery is 16oz. My stock SE5a is 20oz w/o bat.
Yep, you read that right, 4 ounces lost. I'm shocked.

It was acting a bit funny in the air. Sort of wanted to go down, when we trimmed it for what we thought would be a good starting point. (had to hold up elevator). Got it up high, trimmed for level, then killed throttle - plane dove down.

Brought it down (not easy - more on that later).
Noticed that I somehow have NO down thrust in the motor. Not sure how I did that, never cut out the firewall. So this should help some things.

But I have a feeling the undercambered wings are sort of messing with me. Sort of like having flaps on all the time I'd guess. This might just have to be a MUCH slower plane than the stock one. 1/2 throttle is overpowering possibley.

So, bringing it in for a landing is very interesting. This plane feels MUCH more like my foamy Tiger Moth, or my foam Jenny than a GP balsa plane. It's almost silly how it just floats on landing. Just not used to it yet.

Need more flight time to give much more of a report. I've got vids, I'll try to get them up soon.

TM4197
09-29-2009, 01:04 AM
Great job keeping it under control. Can't wait to see the vids! Any still shots?

7car7
09-29-2009, 04:47 AM
Here's a few stills

7car7
09-29-2009, 05:00 AM
Just have to show these. I'm really still amazed. I was hoping for an ounce or 2 savings, with a bit more scale look - I'm happy.

Sure not trying to brag about anything, and I'm in no way picking on the original plane (I love it still). Just showing what any of us can do to these planes with a bit of time invested.

7car7
09-29-2009, 05:39 AM
FdIe75zTSz8

YZz08-BWfy4

Longtimeflyer
09-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi 7car7,

I looked at the pictures and must commend you on a job well done. She looks really authentic! It takes more than most people appreciate to get a model to that detail. I watched the vids too and she flies nicely.

Regarding the trim: fly the model in a straight and level attitude at cruise speed, trimmed, then push down into a 40 degree dive and release the elevator. The model will remain in a dive if the cg is around neutral, will climb if the cg is forward, will dive steeper if the cg is too far aft. Once you have the cg set correctly (I like the model to return slowly to level flight after the push test, indicating slight positive stability) you can then check the thrust lines.

To check the downthrust: again trim for straight and level at cruise speed, then open the throttle and the model should stay level or gently climb, and by closing the throttle, the model will remain level or gently drop her nose.

For right thrust, fly the model into a vertical climb, with wings dead level, then as the model slows, see if she veers off to the left as the speed decays. If so, add right thrust until she climbs vertically.

Undercambered wings have the centre of pressure move chordwise with changing speed (angle of attack). At low alpha, the lift is far aft, and at high alpha the lift moves well forward. This does affect trim when flying from very slow to very fast. Try to reduce the seed range of the model by flying her round at scale like speeds i.e. forget the high speed stuff!

Cheers and enjoy the model

PS You have inspired me once again to finish my lightened SE5....she is nearly there! (too much good flying weather here to be inside building!)

7car7
09-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Try to reduce the seed range of the model by flying her round at scale like speeds i.e. forget the high speed stuff!

Cheers and enjoy the model

PS You have inspired me once again to finish my lightened SE5....she is nearly there! (too much good flying weather here to be inside building!)

Exactly what I'm thinking - I'm just so used to a certain speed with my other SE5. A couple more flights will get me more comfortable with slower flight. I like to get my planes a couple mistakes high, then drop the throttle way down and do some turns. I don't mind this one being slow, kinda why I did it this way - scale flight. It's rare in this hobby with a plane this size.

I'm glad I've inspired you! Hope to see her soon.

Biplane Murphy
09-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Nice!!

Glad to see you got her in the air.

7car7
09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Nice!!

Glad to see you got her in the air.

Thanks! And yours is where? Not done yet?::o

TM4197
09-29-2009, 06:45 PM
You did one grand job !! I love the detail, and I am surprised as you at the weight. One beautiful airplane !!! Its nice to have a plane you can fly at scale speed...gets people to stop and look...instead of looking and saying" what was that"...!! Super Job 7Car!!:tc:

Biplane Murphy
09-30-2009, 02:42 AM
Thanks! And yours is where? Not done yet?::o

Sitting on the build stand, waiting for crosses on the wings and a matte finish clear coat over everything.:rolleyes:

7car7
09-30-2009, 04:22 PM
You did one grand job !! I love the detail, and I am surprised as you at the weight. One beautiful airplane !!! Its nice to have a plane you can fly at scale speed...gets people to stop and look...instead of looking and saying" what was that"...!! Super Job 7Car!!:tc:

Thanks so much, you're very kind. Sure would love to find someone with a good quality video camera and do some nice slow fly overs once I figure out how to fly this thing.

Murph - hurry up!;-)

Biplane Murphy
09-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Murph - hurry up!;-)

At this point, the "Flying German Brick" has to wait untill the World Globetrotter 1 plane has been photographed around my area, and flown, and shipped. :)

Then perhaps, I can finish Darth Vader's Ride in the Sky.:D

Longtimeflyer
10-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Bad weather allowed building of the SE-5 to progress. See latest pictures. I need to hook up the push rods, make some wing struts, pop the rx in and finish a few minor tasks, and off into the wild blue yonder we can go! The weight is coming out as expected......light! :D

7car7
10-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Longtime - THAT is looking amazing! I love that radiator. Landing gear is top notch also. You've reminded me, I need to put some "rust" on my exhaust pipes too. Really is looking outstanding.

Just occured to me, I hadn't really given an update on my planes flying characteristics. It is very much dialed in at this point, and is an absolute joy to fly.
I corrected the pitch - It had almost none. I'm able to give it some gas, and it doesn't pitch up wildly, and drop when throttle off.
I also threw it back on the ballance machine, and decided it was just a bit nose heavy (::o). So I taped a dime to the tail skid. Saturday morning's flight was so much fun. With it being so light, it's capable of some very slow flight, and rediculously slow landings. Very scale looking.

On another note, I'm very glad it came out so light in the tail, because from the begining, I wanted to put my FlycamOne2 in the cockpit for some pilot view video. I found I can put the camera in, and a larger battery up front, and it balances perfect, and is still lighter than my stock plane.
But my vid camera was acting up as usual (:censor:) and gave VERY short videos. As in about 2 seconds long. But what it did take was really neat looking, as it lined up looking right down the aldis sight, and seeing the vickers sight peaking above the windshield. Looked like you're in a real plane. Love it. I'll try again soon.

Longtimeflyer
10-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words 7Car7, and for leading the way, and the inspiration I have gained from your excellent model. I used some of your great ideas, like the "leather" around the cockpit, and the landing gear. I should still get a gun and windshield installed.

I am projecting a flying weight of around 434 grams or 15.5 ounces, with a 1000 3s Turnigy battery.

Please let me know where you found the best CG position to be, and also how much down-thrust you needed. That'll save me some messing about.

It is late night here in SA, so enjoy Monday.....it's been good :D

Cheers,

7car7
10-12-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm using the standard kit recomended CG. I think that's 2 3/8ths? or somewhere in there? I can look at home if you don't have the manual.

As far as down thrust, that looks like the stock amount as what my other SE5 has - Somehow mine got messed up in the build - I had mounted my motor in the conventional way, oposite of the way the kit provided for, so that must have happened then. First flight had pretty much 0* down.

One thing I've found with the plane being so much lighter, I actually use a 2 cell now. 7.4V 1300mah. It really likes that battery. If you're into slow flight, it works great. I don't think I'd try that on my stock plane at 4oz heavier. But I also use a small 3 cell, 800mah. Works great too. They weigh the same, so it just means less throttle. For flying with the FCO2, I use a 1250 or 1500 mah 3 cell bat.

Longtimeflyer
10-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks 7Car7, I will use the standard CG from the manual, which I have.......somewhere! I checked the downthrust, and it is standard as per the kit. There is just a hint of downthrust though. I mounted the AXI 2208/34 directly to the firewall, instead of using those kit engine mount stand-offs.

Can't wait to get it finished now.

biznak
10-16-2009, 05:16 AM
those are awesome!
my dad has a really old Jenny kit he has only built up the fuse and said i could have it as he is not planing on finishing it now. i'll have to get some tips from you guys!!

I'll say it again

those are awesome!

Longtimeflyer
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Biznak......and welcome to the group. 7car7 inspired me to take more effort in building my ARF SE-5 and I have really enjoyed it, although not quite finished yet.
You must enjoy the build of your Jenny, and we are keen to see the pictures. Keep it nice and light (no wire, only carbon !) and have fun.

This is a great hobby!

Cheers,

7car7
10-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Welcome Biznak, I see you're what, 2 hours from me!

That Jenny just begs for serious lightness - nothing looks better than a floating Jenny - well, other than a Jenny on floats ;-)

degreen60
10-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Welcome Biznak - well, other than a Jenny on floats ;-)

When is a Jenny not a Jenny?

When it is an N9

biznak
10-17-2009, 06:31 AM
i'm not sure what kit he has, its pretty old and he was originally going to make it CL i know its yellow and black...big help right?, he is on vacation now so no info/pics of box till he is back and no building until after thanksgiving, plus i have other planes i'm working on, scratch Slow stick (chellie special) and a scratch L-19(found some plans online and blew them up ~30" wing), which i am thinking will get shelved as scratching the fuse is a pita and i want to fly something, so slow stick first, in the mean time i have a Skyfly2 to get back into the swing of things asuming i ever get my replacement charger...
i need a nice charger i guess for christmas i'll ask for chargo, 2s lipo, brushless and esc and some 5g servos

Longtimeflyer
11-08-2009, 09:39 AM
After a long delay, I have the SE5 ready for her first flight. All-up weight came in at 443 grams, or 15.65 ounces. This is with a Turnigy 3s 1000 mAh lipo (same weight as a Thunder Power 1320 3s) installed. The CG came out slightly nose heavy, so I moved the battery as far back in the nose compartment as possible to correct it.

Equipment is:
3 Futaba S3114 servos (one for ailerons)
Futaba 3004 Rx
10 amp Hobby Wing ESC
Turnigy 3s 1000 lipos
AXI 2208/34
APC 9x3.8 prop

Covering is So-Lite, sprayed with Krylon matt finish.

Attached are some pictures. When I have time I will add some more detailing.

Coincidently, I was in the UK last week Friday, and took a detour back to the airport, via The Shuttleworth Collection, at Old Warden, to look at their real SE5a. It is well worth a visit.

Enjoy!

7car7
11-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Wow! That came out fantastic! Love the overal look. Pipes, landing gear, radiator, it all really makes a huge difference over the stock model. Amazing what can happen to these ARF's with a little help.

But even more incredible is your total weight. I can only imagine how that thing will fly, knowing that mine is such a floater. You've got me beat by about 2 full ounces. Not sure how you managed that. But congrats. It will really float.

Just remember, you might consider a 2 cell, with a bit steeper pitch prop. Less nose weight. Mine just loves the 2 cell, even with the stock 10x4.5 prop. (but then I don't know what KV your motor is.)

Are you going to be installing rigging? Sure it's not needed, but looks cool.

Longtimeflyer
11-09-2009, 07:36 PM
First flight today!

I have enjoyed the build of this little model, and was inspired by 7car7's build thread. Thanks!

She flies beautifully. You can really slow her down for close-up fly-pasts. Nice! A little rudder is required, especially in right hand turns, to keep them coordinated, but besides that, she flies like a dream.

My AXI motor only weighs 45 grams, with a kv of 1400. I agree, two cells with a big prop will work. I must add rigging, now that I know she is a good machine.

Next is a laser cut Nieuport 17, designed by a very good friend. Or perhaps the restoration of an old Proctor Antic....electrified.

Decisions!?:rolleyes:

Longtimeflyer
11-14-2009, 06:25 PM
I have had some more flying on the modified SE5 and am really getting to know it better now. I get flight times of 22 minutes using a Turnigy 1000, and then I tried a Zippy 460 3S, and flew for 12 minutes 58 seconds. This is admittedly flying in a scale like manner. I don't have a suitable 2S battery to try as suggested by 7car7, but will get one in due course. She does great little stall turns and rolls nicely too. Stalls are a breeze, with no wing dropping, however, she does a beautiful spin with elevator and rudder. The slightly sprung landing gear makes my landings look good too :ws:

Overall this is a good model from Great Planes and well worth the effort in modifying it to be lighter.

I will still add the flying wires and a gun.

Cheers from sunny South Africa!

7car7
11-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Congrats on good flights! They are so much fun. Can't wait to see the guns and rigging!

I decided to address the "weak link" to the plane looking scale. Made a wood prop.

It's made of mahogany and bass. Glued with CA, and a layer of .5oz glass and epoxy on the back side.

Longtimeflyer
11-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Beautiful! I'll bet that took a few hours to make.
Started making the gun but it is going slowly. What did you use for your flying wires, 7car7?

7car7
11-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Ya, I've got about 20 hours into that stupid prop! Next one would not be nearly as long.

I use braided fising line. 50# test on this plane. I have some 10#, and it's too thin. I'd bet a 30# would look real good too. Before instal, I used a silver "sharpie" pen to color the green fishing line silver. Put the string over a piece of plastic, put the pen on top of the string, then draw the string through the pen to color it. This is of course if you want silver string.

Biplane Murphy
11-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Ya, I've got about 20 hours into that stupid prop! Next one would not be nearly as long.

I use braided fising line. 50# test on this plane. I have some 10#, and it's too thin. I'd bet a 30# would look real good too. Before instal, I used a silver "sharpie" pen to color the green fishing line silver. Put the string over a piece of plastic, put the pen on top of the string, then draw the string through the pen to color it. This is of course if you want silver string.

Sweet Prop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would personally be afraid to fly mine with a prop that took so much time to make....:eek: (But I am also too chicken to fly my Dr1 yet, after the 2 year build :D Hopefully soon............)

Longtimeflyer
11-17-2009, 02:56 PM
The gun has been made and installed, making this plane a weapon of grass destruction :D

Oh, and intruments have been installed, giving her full "all-weather" capability.

Now where are those Fokker's....................

7car7
11-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Sweet Prop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would personally be afraid to fly mine with a prop that took so much time to make....:eek: (But I am also too chicken to fly my Dr1 yet, after the 2 year build :D Hopefully soon............)

Thanks Murph! I've got to do a couple more, they are so much fun to build. Need thicker wood for more pitch.

Longtime - the gun looks great! Really like that. And the mounting is top notch. I like how you brought it all the way down, and also the pod or fairing at the front. Very nice.

Longtimeflyer
11-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks 7car7, I just wish the paint would dry, I want to go and fly it!

Longtimeflyer
11-28-2009, 07:41 PM
I have finally added the rigging wires.

In the meantime we had a little mid-air collision, and had the top right hand side wingtip and aileron removed! Some 21 st century plastic planes' prop caused the damage. Despite the damage, she flew on without even a trim change. Incredible. This lead to the dreaded three aileron landing :D

All is repaired now, ready for the lawn patrol.

Cheers,

7car7
11-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Excellent work! Love the detailing on the nose. That's a great "scale angle" shot too. That took some good flying to bring it in without a crash - nice to hear that!

Longtimeflyer
11-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Say 7car7, what are you doing next?

I inherited a Proctor Antic that was built over twenty five years ago. It is covered in silk, but this has virtually fallen apart. So it needs a major make-over and will be electrified. I have done a mass budget, and expect to get it down from 6.5 lbs to 5.5 lbs. ready to fly.

7car7
11-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Not really sure what I'm going to do next. Got a couple repairs/tiny mods I need to do to a couple existing planes. But I now have SEVEN flying planes, all biplanes. Really hard to justify more, but I'd sure like to get something different. Perhaps a Golden Age Racer, or a WWII bird.

I have a Powerline Hobbies Nieuport 17 that I need to mod for a friend of mine. The nose is too long, and silly looking. He asked me to fix it for him. He's an excellent pilot, but not a builder. I really am hard pressed for time, but he's a cool guy, and he gave me a Powerline Jenny in exchange!

So, I need to get started on that 17, and fix up a couple issues on the already flying planes I have.

That Proctor is really something. Will be fun to see how you get along with it. Reminds me of a conversation a friend and I were having the other day, he wants to build a large WWI plane, was hoping that me and another would join him, and produce a big one too. Something about 1/6 scale. Not sure when that will be, perhaps in a couple years. But I would love to do one that size. I'd like to make a SPAD 11 (2 seater) someday, perhaps that will be a big one.

degreen60
11-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Not really sure what I'm going to do next. Got a couple repairs/tiny mods I need to do to a couple existing planes. But I now have SEVEN flying planes, all biplanes. Really hard to justify more, but I'd sure like to get something different. Perhaps a Golden Age Racer, or a WWII bird.

What, are you cured? How did you do it? I have 11 WW1 planes flying, 1 almost ready to fly, 1 being build, 1 waiting to be rebuilt after crash, and 1 in bad shape I just traded for being shipped. 8 biplanes, 2 triplanes, and 5 monoplanes. Even the trainer I use to teach others to fly is a WW1 type. I am already dreaming about the next WW1 plane I am going to start building. I think I really need help.

7car7
11-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Ha! No, not cured, I'm sure of that. Just thinking I should have a break for a while. My problem is that I have many hobby addictions! Cars (3 current projects, one of them major), treehouse (3 years in the making), 2 antique boats, and, well, (shudder the thought), maintanence on my house! So, I'm not done with planes, but big builds might need to wait for a while.
:red:

Biplane Murphy
12-01-2009, 12:30 AM
In the meantime we had a little mid-air collision, and had the top right hand side wingtip and aileron removed! Some 21 st century plastic planes' prop caused the damage. Despite the damage, she flew on without even a trim change. Incredible. This lead to the dreaded three aileron landing :D

All is repaired now, ready for the lawn patrol.

Cheers,

I once had the right ailerons on my SE5a get stuck in the up position, while in flight.
Somehow managed to land her with no damage.
Had to change my shorts afterwards though!! :Q

Longtimeflyer
02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Hi All,

Here are some photos of my little SE5 in flight. It is a great model, flies really well with no bad habits. It does need a little rudder to co ordinate the turns.

79CJ
02-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Nice looking SE5 longtimeflyer - it looks very clean and the details you've added look professionally done. Great pictures too.

TM4197
02-01-2010, 09:14 PM
VERY VERY NICE!! Pictures are great shots!

dbcisco
02-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Beautiful work!

7car7
02-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Wow, great shots for sure! Really shows off your excellent work you've done.

7car7
07-21-2010, 03:29 PM
We had a little mishap with the SE5. I had the plane out about 100 yards, and the sun in my eyes. Got dis-oriented, and by the time I figured out what was what, down it went. I'm SO thankful it was 1 foot tall grass, and not the running track or a steel fence nearby that it hit. Also, it came down squarely in the nose. All in all, WAY less damage than I thought I'd find.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/7car7/RC/SE5a%20Light/9cde3b7c.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/7car7/RC/SE5a%20Light/2e9e6f47.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/7car7/RC/SE5a%20Light/67c83b19.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/7car7/RC/SE5a%20Light/8991526c.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/7car7/RC/SE5a%20Light/a62d7fc7.jpg

Biplane Murphy
07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
:( :( :( :(

Longtimeflyer
07-21-2010, 07:33 PM
That was very unfortunate. Light models suffer less damage in accidents. Nice to see that you are still flying the SA flag so to speak. Get her up and running soon.

Regards,

Gavin

7car7
01-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Well, it is all repaired, and flying as good as ever. Had some great flying in sub freezing blue sky no wind weather the other day. SO nice for this light weight plane.

The repairs were pretty easy really, had to graft in new trailing legs in the landing gear, and repair the nose. It's now sporting a metal radiator, instead of black.

Dereck
01-13-2011, 03:39 PM
A very inspirational thread, thank you all for your contributions. Those SE's are a real improvement on the model.

Lots of good stuff to transfer to the DR1 from the same range I couldn't stop myself buying last year! So far, all I've done is tear off the all red covering and mutter about how bad it all is underneath.

For one, the colour scheme looks a lot like a 3/4 full sized DR1, as in man-carrying, that's made in the US.

Oddly enough, noting the addition of undercamber to the OP's 'kit', the DR1 has an undercambered wing of reasonably 'scale' section.

Aim on mine is to tidy up some of the structure before re-covering. I'd like to make the fuselage more realistic before re-covering, but that would likely end up with a redesign and making a new one, which is going a little too far. Adding the scalloped LE sheeting would also be a little too much, though it would look good. Covering will be Doculam, brush-painted with acrylics - a spray booth and smelly paint are both well off the list of spousally approved items now.

Hope to apply a little extra detailing too, though am out of scale modelling practice by a lot.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Dereck

7car7
01-13-2011, 08:51 PM
You're welcome Dereck, it was a lot of fun building, and I know Longtimeflyer really enjoyed his too. I have a DRI, and though I've not had it uncovered, I'm not seeing a whole lot to take away from it to make it lighter. But I'm sure it can be done. If you haven't flow it yet, you'll want to focus on the rear end as much as possible. I use 2 AA batteries in the nose for weight, And I know most use some sort of weight up front.

As I found out in my SE5, a gram here and a gram there REALLY does add up to a good amount of weight taken off. I'm sure the DRI will be great lightened up and re-covered.

7car7
08-10-2012, 07:55 PM
A gentleman at our flying field snapped a few pics of my plane flying the other day. Love these shots!

wattman
08-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Nice photos , and I like the #3 and #4 the most :)

Its great that you are still flying your SE5a :D

7car7
08-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Thanks Watt, it is a fun plane. If I had to get rid of all my planes, except for one, I'd keep this one.
And yes, 3&4 are my faves too.

touche
08-13-2012, 04:46 AM
I've been very good about resisting the urge to fly mine yet. Still plopping the Sensei in (front wheel repairs)and waiting on a new fuse for my Alpha 450. Wind is not kind to my planes when they come back to earth. Slowly getting the hang of it all. Perhaps next spring my SE5a and SpadX111 with leave the ground and come back safely.
Then I will be bugging you for info re throws etc.
Nice pics

7car7
08-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Touche, it is a pretty forgiving plane. I have another one in stock form (except modded landing gear), and it's a wonderful plane when there is a slight breeze. The SE5 is a pretty strong plane stock, and it's the least of the series to want to flip over on landing or any other weird stuff. Hope you have it in the air soon, you'll love it.

I had this plane VERY early in my RC flying "career". It was a great second/third plane. (I started with a terrible 1st plane - a 3D Tiger Moth. I had no idea what ailerons really were for, and that once you banked a plane, you had to "un bank" it ;)) The SE5 made me very nervous on it's maiden, but within a couple flights, I found it very stable - yet very capable.

touche
08-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Looking forward to it.
Alas today I hit the soya bean field lol 35 minutes hunting for a Sensei all white and big Crop is near to being harvested. When I got her out she had only a bent front landing gear..lol must be getting soft from all the bends. Anyway back at it again tonite..all fixed..