PDA

View Full Version : Seagull Harrier 3D .46 E-Conversion

admin
02-14-2006, 04:08 AM
Read the article here on the E-Conversion of the Seagull Harrier 3D .46 with E-Flite brushless 60: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=633

Discuss or ask questions in this thread.

Quick Video Link (http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazine/reviews/633/harrierhigh.wmv)

TomM
07-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Hmmm 60 huh... Now I'm PO'd
They shoulda called the plane "Harrier 46 but you should really put a 60 in it"
I just bought this plane to have a home for my E-Flight 46. It only ran 30 seconds in my Cub.

It should come out lighter, motor weight and less batteries. I figure at least 130 watts/lb. I'll let you know in a week.

Tom

Mike Parsons
07-25-2006, 12:29 AM
Tom,
The Power 60 is really overkill on the Harrier 46. You will be more than happy with the EF46 in the Harrier.

Sorry to see the Cub in that condition:(

TomM
07-27-2006, 03:53 AM
The Harrier came today. I'm impressed with how light the structures are. This ought to fly great with the 46. I'll take some pics tomorrow of the airflow holes I have to drill and the motor mount.

Tom

Mike Parsons
07-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Tom,
Looking forward to a Photo essay of your conversion :) Staying tuned...

TomM
08-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Working all weekend, this thing is now ready to fly. It's not that it took all weekend, it was just the typical, where did I put this, where is that, I have to go to the store and buy more servos, I have to go BACK to the store and get servo extensions, back to the store for screws...... So throw out all that bs, and this was an extremely easy model to convert. I hesitate about using the word "convert" for this model, because it was soooo easy. All that is needed is to fab a motor mount ( 2" standoffs), drill inlet cooling holes in the firewall, cut air exit hole in fuse bottom, cut a hole in the covering at rear of fuse, and glue in a balsa shelf to hold the batteries. This last step isnít even needed if you prefer to glue some Velcro in to hold the batteries down.

Iíll skip all the model and assembly descriptions because you can see it elsewhere, but Iíll just make a few comments. First, this model is LIGHT. Much lighter than any other ARF this size Iíve seen, and itís a perfect candidate for e-power. The quality of the arf is beter than most Iíve seen. Everything was straight, and the covering had no ugly folds or corners, and only needed a little heat here and there to tighten it up. Seagull seems to have some well trained assemblers. Lastly, I think the Harrierís transparent red and yellow are just cool looking the way they shine in the sun.

The motor mount was about $9 of Lowes/Home Depot hardware. 2Ē long by ľĒ steel rolled pins, also called guide pins, 6-32 threaded rod, T-nuts, and washers and nuts. If you use the E-Flight 46, you need a 2Ē spacer from the firewall to get the motor to where it should be. I cut out one upper cross brace from a fuselage former in order to lay the batteries down, and glued in a balsa plate with adhesive backed Velcro.

My batteries are Polyquest 4400mA 2C packs, two of them in series. Iím also thinking of Polyquest 3700 3C C20 packs that I bought for a different plane. The prop is APC E13-8 and E13-10. ESC is a Castle Creations Phoenix 60.

I'll post more detail pics, I just wanted to let everyone know the plane is not still sitting in the box.

TomM
08-05-2006, 01:54 AM
A few pictures. The cooling holes I cut in the firewall, and the cowl hole enlargement.

This thing flys great !!!

It rolls like a drill, loops itself, and flys around at 1/4 throttle. High speed is like a dart. It takes a while to slow down, but when it does it just crawls along. I didn't "harrier" it because er...a .... I can't yet. I need tons of practice, but it "crabs" pretty good at 55 -65 degrees up- until I fall out of it. On the maiden flight, the 4200 ma C20 lipos lasted a total of at least 15-16 minutes of "in air" time and had 3.5 volts/cell left. I started at 4.25V.

While at the field I overheard something like.... " Joe has the same plane with an Surpass 70 in it, and he's gonna be mad when he sees how good this one flys".:D

There's not one bad thing about this plane. If I ever have to rebuild it, I'll add 6" to the wingspan to make it float more. What can I say- I have slow reflexes. I should take up rc zepplins.

My stepson just got the Seagull Edge 540. It's about 68" span. It seems about 33% lighter than my same sized Extra 300 from giantscaleplanes (which I'm not going to finish because I thinks it's too heavy now). We have an Axi 4130-16 in his and it ought to fly great in a week or two. Judging from these two, I can only guess Seagulls other planes are this light and easy to e-power. I'm going to order Seagull's Spacewalker soon and put another E-flite 46 in it.

Tom

Tram
08-09-2006, 05:22 AM
Nice conversion.. I have been eyeing this thing for quite some time.. :)

Mike Parsons
08-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Jeff,
You'd like it :)

Tram
08-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeh, I think it'd be a blast..

You think the Eflite 46 is enough huh? THat's good to hear.. :)